Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our tumbleweeds are getting out of hand where the mower deck can't reach them. I have back problems that make running the evil gas powered weed whacker a real uncomfortable nuisance for me on a good day, and one day I expect the HOASS to send me a snottygram about the weeds. I'm trying to find someone reliable to take care of them in the meantime.

However; I've been thinking about deck mounted weed whackers that I could mow and trim at the same time. I found two ready made ones. Does anyone have any experience with these things? Pros & cons whether you've used one or not.

Z-Trimmer.
https://www.lawnvac.com/z-trimmer

DMT Trimmer

http://www.palmowingsystem.com/

Now for a bonus video of some Bubba's homemade one. Safety First!

https://youtu.be/v_46bR1aeo8

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
For those that mow with a tractor with a 3 pt hitch, you could run a DR pto trimmer off the back and mower deck in the middle?

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
What kind of mower are you running? MMM on your tractor or ZTR?

Our local cemetery just got one for their Ferris ZTR. They've been using it most of this season. I can find out from them what the model is and how they like it if you'd like me to.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Our tumbleweeds are getting out of hand where the mower deck can't reach them. I have back problems that make running the evil gas powered weed whacker a real uncomfortable nuisance for me on a good day, and one day I expect the HOASS to send me a snottygram about the weeds. I'm trying to find someone reliable to take care of them in the meantime.

However; I've been thinking about deck mounted weed whackers that I could mow and trim at the same time. I found two ready made ones. Does anyone have any experience with these things? Pros & cons whether you've used one or not.

Z-Trimmer.

DMT Trimmer

PAL Mowing System

Looks like the first deck mounted trimmer must be 12 volt powered? I didn't check out the others.....

What about mounting a wheel or a pair of caster wheels, large enough to roll across the ground and turf, but not too large to be too heavy, to one or both sides of your existing string trimmer or a "debris trimmer" lower shaft?

A simple "half of an H" bracket secured to the trimmer shaft with a wheel at the base would allow you to push the trimmer around to where it's needed so you don't have to carry it or support the entire weight of the trimmer.

I made the mistake of buying a "curved shaft" weed trimmer and that thing was horrible to use. Perhaps in theory it sounded good, but it required me to "stoop over" just a bit and within a minute or two, it really started to aggravate the lower back........Plus it seemed like the curved shaft made the operator support more of the drive unit weight, not less like the straight shaft trimmers......

Just like this sidewalk edger has a wheel to support it's weight and control it's blade engagement, this was the thought for the tumbleweed trimmer......:dunno:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-8-in-Edger-Attachment-for-EGO-Power-Head-System-EA0800/301276583?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|D28I|28-32_PORTABLE|NA|PLA|71700000032328700|58700003835946437|92700030697801828&gclid=CjwKCAjw-8nbBRBnEiwAqWt1zejPtx3e4R3DxvFzlhP709vUNrqVa-CUn2ulDAzra5qfpTvT9xGPqRoC6QsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLTjwr3F7NwCFYvEwAodeRMKhg

·
Super Moderator
7,911 Posts
Looks like the first deck mounted trimmer must be 12 volt powered? I didn't check out the others.....

What about mounting a wheel or a pair of caster wheels, large enough to roll across the ground and turf, but not too large to be too heavy, to one or both sides of your existing string trimmer or a "debris trimmer" lower shaft?

A simple "half of an H" bracket secured to the trimmer shaft with a wheel at the base would allow you to push the trimmer around to where it's needed so you don't have to carry it or support the entire weight of the trimmer.

I made the mistake of buying a "curved shaft" weed trimmer and that thing was horrible to use. Perhaps in theory it sounded good, but it required me to "stoop over" just a bit and within a minute or two, it really started to aggravate the lower back........Plus it seemed like the curved shaft made the operator support more of the drive unit weight, not less like the straight shaft trimmers......

Just like this sidewalk edger has a wheel to support it's weight and control it's blade engagement, this was the thought for the tumbleweed trimmer......:dunno:
My lower back aches just looking at the string trimmer! :banghead:

When things get out of hand and I have to make the rounds I use the trimmer attachment on my Stihl Yard Boss. Although not as maneuverable as a handheld trimmer it does allow me to get the job done without having to deal with the subsequent back pain.

Yard Boss Trimmer.png

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/multi-task-tools/yard-boss-attachments/

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
I quit using a weed whacker. I use a mix of Crossbow & KillzAll anywhere my mower can't get too.
Quite a few people do this.
Years ago I thought it was just an unnecessary thing people did to avoid trimming. The longer Ive done this, including my own mowing business for 5 years some time back, I realized that it is an excellent solution, once its been done for a while.
What I mean is that along a fence row for example, directly under the fence is dirt only. Nothing growing. Nothing to trim. Very defined lines.
One guy I mowed for had this around everything. His fence, sidewalks, driveway, landscape beds, etc. If kept up with Roundup, it always looked nice. The good thing about it is that you dont have any worries about grass or weeds creeping their way into your landscaping or growing over your walks.
It something I plan to do myself now that I have need of it.
But, you still have to go out and spray, and sometimes thats more bending over than trimming.

I dont mind the trimmer as much as some, but Ill say too that if Im going to be using it for long periods, I use the shoulder strap. Keeps the stress off the back.
Mine is a straight shaft Deere XT120, its older, and I cant say why, but it still starts on the first pull after sitting all Winter, and Ive never replaced a fuel line. Maybe its the Opti-2 Ive used since it was new. Anyway, if I had a lot of areas over a big property that needed trimming, near where I was mowing, Id be all over one of these. Probably the belt driven version, as the 30 amp pull of the electric would worry me about battery drain. Most engines only have a 20-30 amp charging system on zero turns, and the PTO clutch is going to take at least 15, so you are always draining the battery running it. If its just used a couple times while mowing, no big deal, but if you have long rows to trim, and its running a good bit, its going to take its toll Id think.

·
Registered
825 Posts

Our local cemetery just got one for their Ferris ZTR. They've been using it most of this season. I can find out from them what the model is and how they like it if you'd like me to.
I bought the Ferris is700z w/ 61" deck this Spring. The suspension puts the competition and suspension seat to shame.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

·
Registered
570 Posts
I use to weed whack all the time. I was pretty meticulous how things looked when I lived in the city limits. Where we lived at that time, if there was a Dandelion popped up in my yard, the Mayor (one of our neighbors) would eventually catch me at my drive. Start out a conversation, small talk, then I'd hear it about how things "should be". I remained neighborly. Prior too, I groomed my lawn weekly. I was always outside doing some kind of upkeep. I had self gained pride. The Mayor changed that. From that point on I continued everything as normal. Except cutting my grass. It was kind of funny. Every time I saw the Mayor after that, he appeared to have steam coming from the ears. I eventually got fed up with people thinking they could tell me how to do things. We moved out to the country. Now we live among the real animals.

·
Premium Member
7,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I'm using an X754 L & G tractor with a 60" MMM deck. The X754 is all-wheel-steering, which could complicate a deck mounted version.

Yes, please ask at your convenience.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-8-in-Edger-Attachment-for-EGO-Power-Head-System-EA0800/301276583?cm_mmc=Shopping|G|Base|D28I|28-32_PORTABLE|NA|PLA|71700000032328700|58700003835946437|92700030697801828&gclid=CjwKCAjw-8nbBRBnEiwAqWt1zejPtx3e4R3DxvFzlhP709vUNrqVa-CUn2ulDAzra5qfpTvT9xGPqRoC6QsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CLTjwr3F7NwCFYvEwAodeRMKhg
My lower back aches just looking at the string trimmer! :banghead:

When things get out of hand and I have to make the rounds I use the trimmer attachment on my Stihl Yard Boss. Although not as maneuverable as a handheld trimmer it does allow me to get the job done without having to deal with the subsequent back pain.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/multi-task-tools/yard-boss-attachments/
I have Echo's equivalent of the Stihl Kombi system. The attachments are all straight shaft, and although I'm of average height (5'-11"), I still stoop over, which as you have experienced makes a bum back feel bad quickly. I'll check Echo's website and see if they have a similar caster attachment.

I quit using a weed whacker. I use a mix of Crossbow & KillzAll anywhere my mower can't get too.
Normally I have a company come out every year and use the nastiest total vegetation killer the state allows them to use. I neglected to have them come out this year, and now I'm paying for it.

Great idea, unfortunately around here that'll land you a $10k fine. That's not a typo.
Damn nanny state! :banghead:

------------------------------

The Z-trimmer is $350, and I'm concerned about the high current requirements of the motor that has a 33% duty cycle. My X754 has a 40-amp alternator, which is above specs for the trimmer.

I asked the PAL folks if it would fit my X754, and they promptly replied that the fit is 'universal' and we all know that means 'one size fits none.' The PAL trimmer is $1,500; though it looks more refined than the Z-trimmer.

I forgot to add this brand to my original post. Their website also has the least amount of information. :banghead:

4M INC.

My other concern is having one of these things hanging off the deck, whether in use or stowed is going to throw the deck alignment out of whack.

As for 'barefoot Bubba' mowing without shoes...I won't feel sorry for him if he has an accident.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts

Z-Trimmer.

DMT Trimmer

PAL Mowing System

I've had the Z-trimmer for about 3 years. Like most things it has its good points and bad. First thing is you need a mower with a deck flat on top for mounting the trimmer. You also need a fairly robust electrical system on the host mower.

up.JPG

down.JPG

When I first got it I saw a lot of reviews complaining about it popping the circuit breaker real easy, and mine did it also. If I let the spinning head dig in the ground very much it would kick the breaker and then have to wait a minute or so to reset it.

But after using it for a month or so, don't know if it loosened up or I got better at operating it (probably a combination of both) but very seldom have that problem any more.

Worst problem I have is controlling the height on varying ground. Only way is to use the deck lift and thank goodness my lift is hydraulic but it's hard to "feather" it between all the way up and all the way down. And sometimes either one is not enough.

All in all it's not perfect but I find myself using it more the older I get.

The only hand-held trimmer I will use any more for light trimming is a battery powered one but I don't last long even with it.

dewalt.JPG

For heavy duty trimming I've used DR trimmers for many years, but it wears me out any more pretty quickly to push it. But you can't beat these for heavy duty trimming, with spiral and sawtooth line sizes up to 225 mil. Using one of these is almost as good as Roundup, you beat something down with it and it ain't coming back for a while. :laugh:

dr.JPG

·
Registered
352 Posts
Like others I have been using the week killer liquids all my life. I can recall my Father using it on large fields. Over the past few years my wife has been using it a lot as she has taken over running the fence lines, but we're a bit worried now because there are recent reports its being linked to lymphoma cancer.....its made out of the Glyphosate. I think the other weed killers are also? If anyone knows of a good weed killer not made out of it please post. We're not radicals or anything, but the evidence seems strong enough I don't want to put my wife at risk.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Like others I have been using the week killer liquids all my life. I can recall my Father using it on large fields. Over the past few years my wife has been using it a lot as she has taken over running the fence lines, but we're a bit worried now because there are recent reports its being linked to lymphoma cancer.....its made out of the Glyphosate. I think the other weed killers are also? If anyone knows of a good weed killer not made out of it please post. We're not radicals or anything, but the evidence seems strong enough I don't want to put my wife at risk.
Crossbow doesn't use glyphosate, but it uses 2,4D, which is most likely worse. Comparing the safety data sheets on both, anything with 2,4D is much more rigorous in what PPE you should be wearing. Anymore, I use a respirator when spraying either of them, and gloves when handling them. It's a couple extra steps, but it's easy insurance.

Crossbow also doesn't kill many grasses though. I have a few friends who use rock salt for driveways and fence lines. Nothing grows in those spots anymore, but if you want to be able to grow something there in the future, that probably isn't a good option.

·
Premium Member
1,651 Posts
I've had the Z-trimmer for about 3 years. Like most things it has its good points and bad. First thing is you need a mower with a deck flat on top for mounting the trimmer. You also need a fairly robust electrical system on the host mower.

View attachment 643560

View attachment 643562

When I first got it I saw a lot of reviews complaining about it popping the circuit breaker real easy, and mine did it also. If I let the spinning head dig in the ground very much it would kick the breaker and then have to wait a minute or so to reset it.

But after using it for a month or so, don't know if it loosened up or I got better at operating it (probably a combination of both) but very seldom have that problem any more.

Worst problem I have is controlling the height on varying ground. Only way is to use the deck lift and thank goodness my lift is hydraulic but it's hard to "feather" it between all the way up and all the way down. And sometimes either one is not enough.

All in all it's not perfect but I find myself using it more the older I get.

The only hand-held trimmer I will use any more for light trimming is a battery powered one but I don't last long even with it.

View attachment 643564

For heavy duty trimming I've used DR trimmers for many years, but it wears me out any more pretty quickly to push it. But you can't beat these for heavy duty trimming, with spiral and sawtooth line sizes up to 225 mil. Using one of these is almost as good as Roundup, you beat something down with it and it ain't coming back for a while. :laugh:

View attachment 643566
A year or so ago I was all set to Buy a Pal trimmer Until I saw a Posting by you and Your Kubota So I Bought a Cub Cadet XT3 GSX with a 54inch Fab deck Just for the Z-trimmer.

I had one of these https://www.ariens.com/en-eu/lawn-products/finishing-tools/string-trimmers Gave that away when I Moved to My new Property. We Have about 1/2acre fenced In for the Dogs with a Aluminum Rod Iron style fence and a Vinyl split rail around another acre or so Well I Bought one of these https://www.swisherinc.com/string-trimmers/easy-glide-22-4-4-hp-honda-self-propelled-string-trimmer-stp4422ho.html needles to say it Bends the Bottom of the Aluminum Rod Iron style fence and cuts Holes In the Vinyl split rail fence Posts if You get to close. So I finally went Back to a traditional trimmer https://www.stihlusa.com/products/trimmers-and-brushcutters/professional-trimmers/fs131/ with a https://www.stihlusa.com/products/trimmers-and-brushcutters/straps-and-harnesses/forestharness/ Well I have osteoarthritis In My Lower Back(they family cruse finally caught me) and it does Bother Me when trimming So I am going to try the Z trimmer On the Cub for trimming Well if I don't Like It I can always go Back to the PAL But Most of My trimming besides the fenced In areas is Under the 12 or so Blue spruces & Pine Trees:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
A year or so ago I was all set to Buy a Pal trimmer Until I saw a Posting by you and Your Kubota So I Bought a Cub Cadet XT3 GSX with a 54inch Fab deck Just for the Z-trimmer.

I had one of these https://www.ariens.com/en-eu/lawn-products/finishing-tools/string-trimmers Gave that away when I Moved to My new Property. We Have about 1/2acre fenced In for the Dogs with a Aluminum Rod Iron style fence and a Vinyl split rail around another acre or so Well I Bought one of these https://www.swisherinc.com/string-trimmers/easy-glide-22-4-4-hp-honda-self-propelled-string-trimmer-stp4422ho.html needles to say it Bends the Bottom of the Aluminum Rod Iron style fence and cuts Holes In the Vinyl split rail fence Posts if You get to close. So I finally went Back to a traditional trimmer https://www.stihlusa.com/products/trimmers-and-brushcutters/professional-trimmers/fs131/ with a https://www.stihlusa.com/products/trimmers-and-brushcutters/straps-and-harnesses/forestharness/ Well I have osteoarthritis In My Lower Back(they family cruse finally caught me) and it does Bother Me when trimming So I am going to try the Z trimmer On the Cub for trimming Well if I don't Like It I can always go Back to the PAL But Most of My trimming besides the fenced In areas is Under the 12 or so Blue spruces & Pine Trees:bigthumb:
Will be interesting to see how the Z-trimmer works for you, please keep us posted. I've never seen one mounted on a tractor, just zero-turns. One thing to consider is it mounts on the left side and mine gets in the way of getting on and off that side. I had always gotten on and off the left side 'cause that's the way I do tractors, but after putting this on I've changed to the right side. Not that big of a deal on a Zero but this might or might not be a problem on some tractors.

The Ariens walk-behind you showed looks very similar to the current DR trimmers. I've used them for years, in fact still have the first one I bought in 1997. It has an electric-start Tecumseh engine.

DR2.jpg

A few years ago it was getting to be a PITA, hard to start, wheels were worn out, etc., so I decided it was time to buy a new one. After using the new one for a while I found that I liked the old one better, it is made of some alloy casting and balanced much better than the stamped steel ones, and just seems to roll much easier. Also has a better side-shift mechanism. So after a while I bought a new carburetor and set of wheels for it and got it going again and now use it more than the new one. They've also come out with several new trimmer head designs over the years and I've retro-fitted mine, much easier to load the cutting lines.

When I bought the last one they had just come out with their self-propelled model so I tried it first but could not keep the drive part working. Finally sent it back and got the regular walk-behind. I noticed that the Swisher you have is self-propelled, so how does that part of it work for you? The DR I tried had a drive axle and one-way sprag clutches in the wheels which worked OK until I pulled it backwards a few times while trimming and the little cams in the wheels would flip over and no longer grip the axle.

I also tried the DR 3-point trimmer for tractors but it did not work for me either so wound up returning it.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Will be interesting to see how the Z-trimmer works for you, please keep us posted. I've never seen one mounted on a tractor, just zero-turns. One thing to consider is it mounts on the left side and mine gets in the way of getting on and off that side. I had always gotten on and off the left side 'cause that's the way I do tractors, but after putting this on I've changed to the right side. Not that big of a deal on a Zero but this might or might not be a problem on some tractors.

The Ariens walk-behind you showed looks very similar to the current DR trimmers. I've used them for years, in fact still have the first one I bought in 1997. It has an electric-start Tecumseh engine.

View attachment 643946

A few years ago it was getting to be a PITA, hard to start, wheels were worn out, etc., so I decided it was time to buy a new one. After using the new one for a while I found that I liked the old one better, it is made of some alloy casting and balanced much better than the stamped steel ones, and just seems to roll much easier. Also has a better side-shift mechanism. So after a while I bought a new carburetor and set of wheels for it and got it going again and now use it more than the new one. They've also come out with several new trimmer head designs over the years and I've retro-fitted mine, much easier to load the cutting lines.

When I bought the last one they had just come out with their self-propelled model so I tried it first but could not keep the drive part working. Finally sent it back and got the regular walk-behind. I noticed that the Swisher you have is self-propelled, so how does that part of it work for you? The DR I tried had a drive axle and one-way sprag clutches in the wheels which worked OK until I pulled it backwards a few times while trimming and the little cams in the wheels would flip over and no longer grip the axle.

I also tried the DR 3-point trimmer for tractors but it did not work for me either so wound up returning it.
I'm curious what you did not like about the DR 3ph trimmer? I've been looking at them for a while.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts