Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
So cute! I've been known to leave areas of pastures un-mowed, because I saw a fawn bedded down, or you could see where one beds regularly.

Momma thought is was a good place to for the little one, so who am I to mess things up? Glad you left it there, and thanks for sharing the photo too!

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,404 Posts
You did good mikeb!
Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
We get them in our meadow as well. This one was May of last year and was no bigger than a dinner plate. The next day we went out there to check on her and you could clearly see her and her mother's impressions in the grass where they slept overnight.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,090 Posts
:good2:

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mom must have come and gotten him or her last night. The baby deer was gone this morning with no signs of any violence by predators. :thumbup1gif:

I'm wondering if it was left there with Mom thinking it was safe as last year and the year before I left a couple acres mostly un-mowed to encourage wildlife, though not exactly in the particular area of my fire pit. This year due to late end of winter, lots of rain and waiting for the new tractor before mowing the first time I mowed all of it later than I would normally have done. The last two years there would have been nice tall grass/meadow/field that I know deer bedded in that was this year recently cut. Maybe Mom was remembering last year or when she was born. Oh well, in the Fall the Deer will have that area for bedding and foaling again.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
We spoke to the DNR about ours just to make sure we shouldn't do anything. They said that frequently the mother will do this with a newborn (only a couple days old) where they'll get them down some place they believe is safe so that they can go graze. DNR advised just to leave it alone and it worked out fine here as well.

·
Premium Member
5,958 Posts
Found this little guy when I was mowing last year, just across the fence from the picnic ground:

HPIM1110.JPG

Noticed the ears first:

HPIM1108 (Small).JPG

Lowell

·
Registered
176 Posts
What a sweet photo and story.

One of my uncles will say two fawns saved his life.

He was a chronic alcoholic for many years. Finally, in one of his many trips through a residential rehab facility (to avoid jail time), he crawled out of bed after several nights of the DTs, wondered out into a field, and sat down in the grass. About 20 minutes later a mother deer walked out of the woods and dropped two fawns right in front of his eyes. She licked them clean and then just stared at my uncle. He said it took him days to stop crying. But he hasn't touched a drop of alcohol in the 30 years since.

There is something about baby animals (including the human variety) that just nudges us all a little towards the optimistic side of the optimistic-pessimistic scale. Ok, for some of us that mean we might come off the hard cynical end of the scale....but it's still a nudge.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Bad day

Unfortunately I just had a tragic accident involving one of these little fawns.

I was mowing tall grass for a neighbour - driving slow and being real careful to look out for stumps and other obstacles when I accidentally drove over him. I never saw him at all - he was completely camouflaged and I did not see any evidence of adults who may have bedded nearby.

Needless to say, the result was pretty horrifying. I am still pretty shaken up by it.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Oh man......sorry to hear that.

·
Premium Member
9,090 Posts

I was mowing tall grass for a neighbour - driving slow and being real careful to look out for stumps and other obstacles when I accidentally drove over him. I never saw him at all - he was completely camouflaged and I did not see any evidence of adults who may have bedded nearby.

Needless to say, the result was pretty horrifying. I am still pretty shaken up by it.
Sorry to hear that.

Young fawns haven't learned danger and when to flee. They just hold tight.

They also camouflage very well.

I know it doesn't help much, but there was likely nothing you could have done except been lucky enough to have seen it.

I know how you feel. It sucks.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,404 Posts
That's too bad sblj52. I know it would ruin my day, big time.
Welcome to GTT.

·
Registered
139 Posts

I'm a hunter, but that would be a horrible experience! Sorry to hear you had to go through that.

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Wow. Sad to hear about the fawn.

Welcome to GTT.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Oh man, that would probably end my mowing for a few weeks. Sorry to hear about that. I feel bad when I run over a frog. A fawn would really get to me.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts
I guess I was lucky on the farm and never hit a fawn. My dad hit one with the combine harvesting oats one year. That was pretty bad. My worst was hitting a family of skunks with the sickle mower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts