Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this topic has been discussing in several threads but I can't find a clear answer to one particular question. Can someone confirm that the method of jumpering the MBR switch at the rear of the tractor works on the newer models with the rocker style PRO switch? I would link to the discussion but I can't add a link as this is my first post. (See "2015 1025R RIO Bypass PTO switch aceess" thread.) Most of the discussion is from machines with push pull knobs and I saw one person saying he couldn't get this to work on the newer machines. I like the convenience and reversibility of this method but I don't want to short something out if the programming has been adjusted with the switch change. Has anyone done this method on a new machine?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
12,545 Posts
2015 1025R RIO Bypass PTO switch access

Maybe this is the thread that you referenced, but this bypass still works on the newer machines just fine, I did my 2018 2025R with this method and it has worked great.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I believe the best and the simplest method is to wrap a tie wrap around the fwd/reverse switch, to maintain it in the forward position. It doesn't require any wiring mods, is easy to add or remove, and retains all the other safety features, like the seat switch functionality.

Simply remove the closure panel just below the front of the seat and on top of the foot board. The switch should then be readily accessible.

·
Registered
51 Posts
On my 1023e, I just press and hold the rocker switch for a second and it will allow me to back up without disengaging the mower, I was going to try bypassing the switch but it was just as easy to get in the habit of hitting the switch. Once I got used to the repetition, I rarely forget to hit it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses. My issue is for snowblowing. For whatever reason (like many others) the hall effect sensor doesn't work consistently for me. I did the cable tie trick last winter and it either broke or the dealer might have removed it when I had warranty work done last summer. I'll probably do that again but I have a cab on so there is extra padding/covering on the floor and around the seat that make getting to the switch a little more of a pain. I was thinking of using the MBR jumper approach so I can postpone that project until warmer weather but just don't want to cause another problem trying to solve this one. I'm currently using the "push in to reverse" method but I do a lot of that with the snowblowing and I'm either gong to wear out the switch or my patience if I keep that up. :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I believe the best and the simplest method is to wrap a tie wrap around the fwd/reverse switch, to maintain it in the forward position. It doesn't require any wiring mods, is easy to add or remove, and retains all the other safety features, like the seat switch functionality.

Simply remove the closure panel just below the front of the seat and on top of the foot board. The switch should then be readily accessible.
This is what I did. I too have the 54" front mounted snow blower but no cab. Trying to push that rocker switch with heavy winter gloves on was very difficult at best.

·
Registered
304 Posts
The very first “modification” I did to my 1025, when I got it, was the ‘zip tie trick’ to the RIO

·
Registered
647 Posts
On my 1023e, I just press and hold the rocker switch for a second and it will allow me to back up without disengaging the mower, I was going to try bypassing the switch but it was just as easy to get in the habit of hitting the switch. Once I got used to the repetition, I rarely forget to hit it.
Exactly what I concluded with mine.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I am never one to defeat a safety mechanism to make life easier. I don't feel the RIO design on this machine to be safe.
The problem I had with mine was that I was mowing down a steep hill, towards an apple tree (think sharp little spikey branches on the big gnarly branches) headed towards a big branch, face height, a little too fast.. tapped the R pedal to slow down... deck shut off, engine shut off...allowing the hydro to freewheel... took me a second to realize my error and get to the brake. Close call.
Next day.. RIO gone..
I have no idea what they were thinking... I think shutting the deck or other implements off.. fine.. but the engine, on a hydro-static tractor, with hydraulic power steering... I disagree with their thinking.

I feel the same about the engine shutting off when you leave the seat unless the tractor is in neutral...
With the engine running, trans in gear, and the drive pedals not moving.. the tractor wont roll easily.
With the tractor in neutral, the tractor can roll away, engine running, easily.
I think they should have put that operator presence(seat) safety kill switch on the E brake... then the tractor would be locked in place if you get off the seat, neutral or not..

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
You guys need one of these

·
Registered
326 Posts
Well... It gets rid of the RIO and seat switch....

3 questions..who's watching that kid...then..who let's a little kid run something he can't see in front of...and most importantly..how does that not scalp???

·
Registered
326 Posts
I tried really hard to understand why they'd do that...still don't, and I left it in place a while to see if through use I'd understand...

Has to be cost driven?... either there's a liability they avoided that I can't forsee, or maybe it saves warranty labor on PTO clutches?
I'd much rather retain control of the machine.

Anyway... I jumped mine out at the switch under the cover near the front right side of the seat... there's 4 wires, 2 need to be jumped...two need to be open. Unplugged it, ohmed it out, jumped it..done. no alterations nor zip ties. I fear with the lower quality of zip tie plastic I've seen, it could fail, fall off, and the RIO would start working as designed again when I least expect or want it to.

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Funny thing is the other day when I was at my hillside castle up in the tower, gazing over the valley below, the sales guy stopped by selling the "Mountain Mowers"......except I didn't speak German, otherwise, I am sure he would have talked me into a few of them for mowing at the Castle.......o_O:oops:

Those goofy Germans, always coming up with a solution. :giggle:

Can you imagine how good a shape you would be in just walking up that dang hill, let alone following the mower? Those German's where walking back and forth on the hill like it was nothing..........💪

The company is now owned by a Swiss firm, the one which makes the spikey wheels on their mowers. Its a joint venture to assure succession for the companies and likely a good idea.

·
Registered
531 Posts
So basically, it's a Gravely on steroids? Nice swath width. Pretty dangerous looking though.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
I am never one to defeat a safety mechanism to make life easier. I don't feel the RIO design on this machine to be safe.
The problem I had with mine was that I was mowing down a steep hill, towards an apple tree (think sharp little spikey branches on the big gnarly branches) headed towards a big branch, face height, a little too fast.. tapped the R pedal to slow down... deck shut off, engine shut off...allowing the hydro to freewheel... took me a second to realize my error and get to the brake. Close call.
Next day.. RIO gone..
I have no idea what they were thinking... I think shutting the deck or other implements off.. fine.. but the engine, on a hydro-static tractor, with hydraulic power steering... I disagree with their thinking.

I feel the same about the engine shutting off when you leave the seat unless the tractor is in neutral...
With the engine running, trans in gear, and the drive pedals not moving.. the tractor wont roll easily.
With the tractor in neutral, the tractor can roll away, engine running, easily.
I think they should have put that operator presence(seat) safety kill switch on the E brake... then the tractor would be locked in place if you get off the seat, neutral or not..
I tend to agree, shutting off the engine isn't the best but I do believe I know why JD took this route rather then just shutting off the PTO.

If you shut off the PTO at high engine RPM often enough, eventually, the PTO brake will be damaged and this is an internal component that is expensive to repair.

So, JD shuts the engine off with the PTO engaged. The PTO will stay engaged, even though the engine is shutting down.

Now you could say, its not good for the engine to shut it off at high RPM either, get that!!! I think they just took the route path that they believe will cause the least problems.

I am not one to bypass safety devices either but I must confess, I have bypassed my reverse implement shut down due to the fact that JD shuts the engine down, in fact I did the post that the OP is referring. I bypassed mine at the MBR switch so it was a clean bypass and I could put it back to OEM in less than a minute with no removal of panels or floor boards or cutting of wires.

Now, jumping the MBR will bypass the reverse implement shut down and the seat switch.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
I'm a new owner. I didn't realize the RIO killed the engine as well as the PTO.
It actually doesn't disengage the PTO, it shuts down the engine. The reason I believe JD does this is in my reply below.

·
Premium Member
2,045 Posts
To answer petelarsen, the OP's question, bypassing the reverse implement shut down at the MBR will work on all JD 1 series for sure up to 2018 model years, not sure about the 2019 models.

I would assume JD kept the same wiring harness in the new model tractors but without a wiring diagram, I cannot be sure.

If someone has a technical manual for a 2019 1 series, maybe they can post pictures of the wiring diagrams. They we can verify they are the same.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts