Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Deere 1070. Deere 2030
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Deere 2030. The serial number plate lists the model as 2030A. The serial number places the build location as Iowa and the year as 1975 (the last year the model was made in the US apparently).

Does the 'A' indicate something different from other 2030 models? I ask because I would like to replace the oil pan drain plug. The existing plug is obviously not a drain plug per se but selected because it fits. The plug listed on the deere parts schema for the 2030 (PC1289) is slightly too large for the drain hole and slightly larger that the existing plug.

The oil pan is steel and not the cast iron pan on the parts page. There is a reference to a steel pan but as far as I can tell, the steel pan uses the same plug (M1476T).

The local Deere dealer is struggling too.

thanks

·
Super Moderator
6,908 Posts
Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Number

·
Super Moderator
6,908 Posts
As you mention, there are two different oil pans - one cast iron, one steel.

Rectangle Handwriting Font Parallel Circle

But there are also TWO different oil pan plugs.

Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot Parallel

One is a fine thread, the other (which you have) a coarse thread.

Looking at the parts diagram though, there is supposed to be a 3/4" "Pipe Plug" that screws into the pan itself, It looks like the drain plug is supposed to screw in to that pipe plug.

Rectangle Line Auto part Parallel Drawing

Rectangle Font Parallel Electronic device Screenshot

That pipe plug is one of the parts that they tell you to order when converting from cast iron to steel.

Reactions: Xesike and Tx Jim

·
Super Moderator
6,908 Posts
Hmm... Maybe that "pipe plug" (#8) is used in place of the fine/coarse drain plugs (#6)? Here's a pic of part # 15H690. Is that what you've got in there currently?

·
Premium Member
Deere 1070. Deere 2030
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks to everyone for taking the time and the helpful information and suggestions.

Short answer: I needed the fine thread plug. The dealer actually had one in stock (rather a recommended substitute) which fit perfectly.

Long answer: This version of the oil pan does not have a pipe fitting on the side. The shape of the pan replicates the cast iron version seen above in JimR's second post but has a smooth face where the pipe fitting would have been. I suspect Tx Jim is correct in thinking that this fitting could have been used for an engine oil heater. I bought this from someone who rebuilds old tractor engines which he had done. He also had changed the oil but clearly reused the incorrect plug instead of taking the time to replace it with a correctly fitting plug.

I left a shop towel in the drain hole over night and when I went to reinspect this morning (after my post!) the fine threads were obvious. As was the poor fit of the plug I removed. Someone in the past had used a 3/4 coarse thread instead of the correct 7/8s fine thread. They had also not replaced the washer. I certainly learn something every day!

thanks everyone

best wishes

·
Premium Member
9,789 Posts
I hope your threads were not damaged by the wrong plug.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts