Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Been looking for this problem and have not seen anything like it.
Had this used JD 325 for a few years, ran fine. Last year it started bogging down after a cooldown. Runs fine for literally hours. After a cooldown for a few minutes to an hour or so, it runs crappy, bogs down but never stalls out. Without PTO engaged it is still bad. Drives slow and PTO runs slow, with tiller, snowblower and two mower decks. Tried to choke it and that doesn't help. Changed plugs, oil\filter\ air filter, fuel filter, used carb cleaner, gas cleaner, lubed the cables, pto fluid level is good.
A few times i use the PTO and mow fast as possible and when it it about to stall, it suddenly kiicks back in and runs fine for a bit.
When it first started i just let it sit still pto off and it would eventually rev back up, bot no longer.
Have not taken it to the dealership.
Appreciate any suggestions.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm wondering if your cool-down period is actually a heat soak process for your coils. The first thing I would do is make sure that your cooling fins are clean.

The second thing I would do is resistance test your coils. Maybe use a spark tester which can sometimes be difficult to do with an intermittent issue but you would want to compare spark quality when cold vs when it's running poorly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm wondering if your cool-down period is actually a heat soak process for your coils. The first thing I would do is make sure that your cooling fins are clean.

The second thing I would do is resistance test your coils. Maybe use a spark tester which can sometimes be difficult to do with an intermittent issue but you would want to compare spark quality when cold vs when it's running poorly.
I cleaned the whole thing with a power washer thinking a heat issue a year ago, didn't change anything.
Can't imagine running great for three hours, power off for two minutes to grab a drink and then running terrible could be a spark issue, but i've no other suggestions. Been searching for anyone having this issue for over a year now and never found it. Must be my unique issue. Guess i'll pray it runs ok during the winter for plowing and snowblowing and take it into the $$$dealership in the spring.
Thanks

·
Registered
425 Posts
Are you 'cooling down' at idle or at say 1/2 throttle?

Some engines will cool down better at part throttle (with tractive and pto functions inactive).
Then idle for maybe 10 or 15 seconds before shutdown.

(sometimes coolant flow on liquid cooled or airflow on fan cooled are too low at idle)

I don't know that the 325 is in this category, but could be worth a try.

How many hours on it?
Has it had regular cooling system service / fluid change?
Perhaps its time for thermostat and/or water pump?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Are you 'cooling down' at idle or at say 1/2 throttle?

Some engines will cool down better at part throttle (with tractive and pto functions inactive).
Then idle for maybe 10 or 15 seconds before shutdown.

(sometimes coolant flow on liquid cooled or airflow on fan cooled are too low at idle)

I don't know that the 325 is in this category, but could be worth a try.

How many hours on it?
Has it had regular cooling system service / fluid change?
Perhaps its time for thermostat and/or water pump?
Hi
Thanks for the reply.
Cooldown turning it off and me running into the house for a quick bathroom break or grab a cold beer.
About 600 hours on this, i have done all the maintenance.
Air cooled, no coolant.
Thanks again. really bugging me that i have to take to the $$dealership.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts