Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks-

Just bought a newer 2015 cab 4052R (230 hours - more than I'd like but the unit looks good) - it is an off rental nursery gondola tractor out of Central Florida - got 0% and the new warranty. Paid 41,300 with a new H180 loader and a 2072 cutter - perhaps could have gotten a little better deal - but still think I did OK. Unit had R1s on it - they switched them out with new R4s.

Curiosity - gondola tractor - I guess it was used to pull wagons around?? Is use as a "gondola tractor" common?

Anyhow - want to get a trailer for the rig. Dealer has a 20 foot big tex (10et-20) with 5K axles (10K total load) on the lot.

I'm figuring the tractor with a H180 loader and 2072 cutter weighs around 6500 pounds - do you think that's accurate? I can't find a weight for the darned loader - I'm thinking with the bucket it must be 1000 pounds (tractor 4700 and cutter 800).

The trailer weighs about 2500 - thus total load would be about 9000 pounds - would everyone be happy with that with a 10K trailer. Dealer tells me it's fine.

Lastly - does anyone know how long the tractor with loader and cutter is - how much do you think will be hanging off the back of the trailer? The trailer has lift up ramps.

Thanks in advance for everyone's efforts!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Hiya,

If it has loaded tires add another 800 to 1,500 Lbs to those figures depending on the tires/rims you have and the fluid in them. I would think a 15K trailer would give you a safe margin of error.

The DMV in NH is on the lookout on the highways between the major cities and the tractor dealers looking for overloaded trailers, the last 2 tractors I bought were delivered on lowboys rated for 50 tons. I'm sure they are out in force all over these days looking for additional revenues.

·
Super Moderator
5,192 Posts
Curiosity - gondola tractor - I guess it was used to pull wagons around?? Is use as a "gondola tractor" common?
The gondola label came from the railroads. Open top railroad cars were called "gondolas". So, for example, an open top coal car would be one.

Other freight shipping groups adopted the term. So open top trailers and carts became gondolas too. It's a fairly common use term around orchards anyway.

So a tractor used to haul open top carts to/from the orchards are "gondola tractors'. One of the apple orchards near me has a fleet of 6-8 Deere 855/955 tractors that are only used for pulling carts during harvest. For everything else, they use much larger machines so these sit idle 90% of the year.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a 4066 R with H180 MSL Loader. I'll measure length tomorrow and let you know. BTW, did you purchase thr 4052 from Ag-Pro in Tallahassee?

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
A 10K trailer is the absolute minimum here. However, trailers of this capacity and higher have higher empty weights, usually around 3-4000 lbs. My 4066R weighs about 6,000 lbs with loader and 1 set of rear wheel weights. With the 110 inch rear finish mower adding another 1500 lbs, I am up to 7500 lbs. Even a 3000 empty weight would put me over the max on a 10K trailer. Your brush hog would weigh around 750 lbs unless it was one of the heavy duty models, then it would be more, so your total weight would be in the neighborhood of 7000 lbs. Then you have to consider how critical the weight balance is on the trailer. I just gave up and went with a 31ft deck over dually tandem gooseneck trailer. It is rated for 25,000 gross, but weighs around 7000 lbs empty. Having upgraded trailers 3 times already, I did not want to have to do it again. Weight balance is no longer an issue and I have the extra width to be able to handle wider loads that would not otherwise fit between the wheel wells on other trailers, such as my 110 inch rear finish mower. Gooseneck trailers are more stable and tow better than a bumper pull trailer. No sway.

Dave

Reactions: eyeboltman

·
Registered
23,026 Posts
Lastly - does anyone know how long the tractor with loader and cutter is - how much do you think will be hanging off the back of the trailer? The trailer has lift up ramps.
If you are specifying/buying a trailer for this new tractor why would you want some of it hanging off the back of the trailer? You need a trailer long enough to be able to move it forward/backward somewhat to get the weight distribution correct.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
'ddinham' has the right advice. I have also have a 4066R. We use a bumper pull 15,000 lb gvw trailer. Gooseneck trails better, but we have several trucks that gooseneck won't work with, so tag along is our only option. 10k trailer might be a little on the light side.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts