Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I opted for the skid steer quick attach for my new 4066R. This is the John Deere factory option, not aftermarket. It is borderline un-usable. I can't imagine how this design was approved. Basically, there is no mechanism to keep the right and left side on plane, which makes hooking up to pallet forks, beyond frustrating. The left and right can be out of plane by 3 inches. Please let me know if this is discussed in another forum. Surely I am not the only one having this trouble (i've also seen this concern on youtube videos). I'd rather not have to weld a crosstube in there myself for a $700 option.

Deere, if you are reading this, please contact me!.. I almost want my Kubota back!!!

See pics. Nothing is bent. Just appears Deere designed it to have that much twist, I just haven't found a use for this "feature" yet.

Pic 1, uneven handles
Pic 2, left and right are in plane, when fully retracted.
Pic 3, left and right are way out of plane, when tilting carrier to try to connect to attachment.

IMG_0280.jpg

IMG_0281.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I opted for the skid steer quick attach for my new 4066R. This is the John Deere factory option, not aftermarket. It is borderline un-usable. I can't imagine how this design was approved. Basically, there is no mechanism to keep the right and left side on plane, which makes hooking up to pallet forks, beyond frustrating. The left and right can be out of plane by 3 inches. Please let me know if this is discussed in another forum. Surely I am not the only one having this trouble (i've also seen this concern on youtube videos). I'd rather not have to weld a crosstube in there myself for a $700 option.

Deere, if you are reading this, please contact me!.. I almost want my Kubota back!!!

See pics. Nothing is bent. Just appears Deere designed it to have that much twist, I just haven't found a use for this "feature" yet.

Pic 1, uneven handles
Pic 2, left and right are in plane, when fully retracted.
Pic 3, left and right are way out of plane, when tilting carrier to try to connect to attachment.

View attachment 711374

View attachment 711376

View attachment 711378

Yep, mine is that way also. In fact, I think they are more so, but mine were taken from another tractor, so they have been well used and I have now had them for another 5 years to add more usage to them. What I do is extend them more than is needed to connect, them bring them back as they seem to line up better that way. Secondly, since I cannot see them very well due to the hood of the tractor, I store all three of my attachments on the deck of my gooseneck flatbed trailer that is about 3ft off the ground. Sure makes seeing the connection much easier.

In thinking back about it, I believe my 1025R with JDQA was somewhat the same way from when it was new.

Dave

·
Administrator
18,500 Posts
Both the JDQA and SSQA carries are like that, it's been discussed MANY times here on GTT. Once you learn the little tricks to get them lined up it's really no big deal.

If you push the one thats further out, either with your hand if your off the tractor or against the implement your trying to hooks up they will even out since the cylinders are plumbed in parallel.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep nature of the beast

I can "kinda" see where the JDQA system would be tolerant of this, but with SSQA, there isn't much room to come in tilted because of potential of bending the levers. Its quite a joke in my opinion and defeats the "quick" part of the quick attach.

I guess i am just frustrated that after owning LS, Mahindra, and Kubota that never had this issue, I am paying a premium for JD, and coming out behind the competition. Its obvious that the bean counters said no to a crosstube to keep them in sync. Very disappointing Deere.

For what its worth to others looking at this class of tractor, I highly recommend the Kubota Grand L. Hindsight is 20/20, but I would go back in a heartbeat if I could. The loader is twice as stout, the 6 range, shift on the fly hydro is well missed and and even with 10 less HP than the JD, it would carry the steepest of hills in high range, without even flinching.

I'll see what the dealer recommends. Just venting after spending $52K..

·
Administrator
18,500 Posts
There are MANY stories about loaders with rigid cross tubes getting bent when things go wrong. I'll take JD's setup any day, just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I can "kinda" see where the JDQA system would be tolerant of this, but with SSQA, there isn't much room to come in tilted because of potential of bending the levers. Its quite a joke in my opinion and defeats the "quick" part of the quick attach.

I guess i am just frustrated that after owning LS, Mahindra, and Kubota that never had this issue, I am paying a premium for JD, and coming out behind the competition. Its obvious that the bean counters said no to a crosstube to keep them in sync. Very disappointing Deere.

For what its worth to others looking at this class of tractor, I highly recommend the Kubota Grand L. Hindsight is 20/20, but I would go back in a heartbeat if I could. The loader is twice as stout, the 6 range, shift on the fly hydro is well missed and and even with 10 less HP than the JD, it would carry the steepest of hills in high range, without even flinching.

I'll see what the dealer recommends. Just venting after spending $52K..
I would rather have my JD SSQA than my neighbors Kubota SSQA. I do not like the fact that when you try to lock it into place, it is spring loaded and you cannot guarantee that it is locked.

For hill pulling, see my video at 4066R hill pulling - YouTube I have no problem pulling hills in C range with my 4066R. Also check out my video at 4066R brush hogging3 with 10ft Rhino - YouTube running my 10ft Rhino brush hog.

Dave

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Hmmmmm,,, interesting,,

mine is rigid,, but,,,,

I can see the benefit of separately rotating QA halves,,

My SSQA MUST be in perfect alignment to connect correctly,
if the SSQA were split, that would allow some tolerance in alignment.

If you keep it properly lubed, any contact will rotate the two SSQA halves,,

With no implement on the SSQA, rotate the SSQA until one is partially rotated,,
then, try to rotate the halves by hand, they should easily move,, IMHO,,

:dunno:

Reactions: Old Cajun

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I would rather have my JD SSQA than my neighbors Kubota SSQA. I do not like the fact that when you try to lock it into place, it is spring loaded and you cannot guarantee that it is locked.

For hill pulling, see my video at 4066R hill pulling - YouTube I have no problem pulling hills in C range with my 4066R. Also check out my video at 4066R brush hogging3 with 10ft Rhino - YouTube running my 10ft Rhino brush hog.

Dave

I guess it goes back to the old saying, there is no replacement for displacement. The kubota had a larger engine, less HP, but way more torque. I am sure i will get used to it over time. Guess i should have Demoed it first. If I didn't have all SSQA attachements already, i would have stuck with JDQA.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Both the JDQA and SSQA carries are like that, it's been discussed MANY times here on GTT. Once you learn the little tricks to get them lined up it's really no big deal.

If you push the one thats further out, either with your hand if your off the tractor or against the implement your trying to hooks up they will even out since the cylinders are plumbed in parallel.
I can see it not being as big of a deal, with full visibility, like in a bobcat, but since you can barely see the QA when hooking up, its gets frustrating, quickly.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmmmm,,, interesting,,

mine is rigid,, but,,,,

I can see the benefit of separately rotating QA halves,,

My SSQA MUST be in perfect alignment to connect correctly,
if the SSQA were split, that would allow some tolerance in alignment.

If you keep it properly lubed, any contact will rotate the two SSQA halves,,

With no implement on the SSQA, rotate the SSQA until one is partially rotated,,
then, try to rotate the halves by hand, they should easily move,, IMHO,,

:dunno:

Yes, that is a proper setup.

·
Administrator
18,500 Posts
There are MANY stories about loaders with rigid cross tubes getting bent when things go wrong. I'll take JD's setup any day, just my opinion.
Search on OTT and TBN, lots of these horror stories:

Attachments

Reactions: FormulaB

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
I guess it goes back to the old saying, there is no replacement for displacement. The kubota had a larger engine, less HP, but way more torque. I am sure i will get used to it over time. Guess i should have Demoed it first. If I didn't have all SSQA attachements already, i would have stuck with JDQA.

I was dragged kicking and screaming into the SSQA world when I bought my tractor as it already had them. I had wanted the JDQA, but soon learned that I was much better off with SSQA. SSQA attachments are much cheaper than JDQA and much stronger. I think my new pallet forks were about half of what JDQA forks would have cost. I have a neighbor with a skid steer and we share attachments when needed. I have a smooth bucket and he has a tooth bucket, for example. He just got a new tree puller that I will probably borrow next year. Too late this year for it. He also has a backhoe attachment, but I probably won't use that. I would have to get hyd coupler adapters, but that is not what concerns me. I am one that does not mix hyd fluid with someone else very readily. Possibly if it was another similar tractor.

Another neighbor has the Kubota with SSQA, but he only has a light duty bucket, although it is a tooth bucket. I would tear it up with my 4066R. So not likely we would share attachments.

Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts