Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an odd one for everyone that involves my John Deere 4400 tractor not shutting off by the ignition switch.

I can turn the key to the right, the dash comes up, gauges move, turn to start position and the tractor fires up with no problems. Controls and gauges work as they should. When it is time to park it, turn the key back to off and it continues to run.

I know there has been discussion about injectors hanging, but here is the odd thing about mine.... It will shut off when I disconnect the battery. So I am assuming I have an ignition switch, fuel solenoid or relay issue. Any ideas on where and what to check first is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
45 Posts
There is a fuel supply solenoid and control relay that is energized for the tractor to run. It sounds like something is awry in that circuit. Perhaps the relay is sticking on. Since you say removing the battery lead will kill it, i suspect that the solenoid is mechanically okay.

My 4300 has the reverse issue, I can't get out to start due to the solenoid not pulling out. If i loosen/ remove solenoid it will start. Be aware the solenoid has an oil seal, so you can't run with it removed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just an update for anyone who finds this post. jthibodeau89 hit the issue, it was an electrical issue with the fuel shutoff solenoid. We ended up replacing the thermistor and the fuel solenoid relay to fix the issue. Solenoid itself checked OK, but the combined issues with the relay and thermistor caused intermittent non-start and the non-shutoff issue. Also replaced the ignition switch just because it was not creating consistent good contact and was loose.

·
Registered
24,082 Posts
Thanks for coming back with your results and fix. I wish everyone did that!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts