Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1983 Deere 850 2wd Serial - 15370 with 1600 hours. I owned it years ago and sold it and just got it back. It has been sitting under cover for years but starts right up and runs. Transmission and PTO work well, 3pt not so much.

The hitch does move but it is very noisy (pump?) when lifting and only the top inch or so of travel on the hand lever works the whole range. I can see the the lever at the top of the rock arm contacts the push pin on only at the top of the hand lever range. The spring on the lever also pulls the 3pt all the way up - the hand lever does not stay where you put it.

When I had it last I did change the hydraulic oil and cleaned the filter (screen), it's been over 10 years but only 200 hours.

Any ideas of where to start?

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
18,973 Posts
Welcome to GTT.

Check these areas to may certain the shafts on the Rockshaft Controls are free to move and are not seized within their prospective bores.
Wood Rectangle Gas Grass Font

Also, you may want to drain the hydraulic oil and cleaning the suction screen again. Replace the hydraulic oil filter and refill with fresh oil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have already cleaned and lubed the control shaft for the 3pt. Everything moves freely and nothing looks bent or worn. I will drain and refill and clean the screen again. This is a non-power steering tractor and I do not see an external hydraulic filter. Is there an internal one other than the screen?

From your picture, on my tractor the center lever with the spring on it only contacts the push pin at the rock shaft when the hand control is in the last inch of travel to lift the 3pt (lower right section of the slot in the pciture). It almost seems like the push pin that activates the lift doesn't come out far enough, but the 3 pt is down when it is not being pushed.

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Did it work properly when stored?

I "inherited" a 750 a few years ago. The 3 point was wacked and didn't work at all like it was supposed to. I had issues with someone previously messing with the internal valving... I had to buy some salvage parts to get it back right, hope your fix is easier.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I first got this 850 (first time - about 18 years ago) the 3pt lift would not go up reliably but cleaning the screen and a fluid change fixed that issue. After that it worked correctly and was still working correctly when I sold it (5-6 years later). The 3pt and loaders on a couple other tractors I have operate without much noise and I don't remember this 850 making noise when using the lift the first time I had it.

When I got it back I see that a remote hydraulic valve was added. I don't believe adding the valve requires any modifications other than connecting the lines in the correct location. Now the lift works as I have described and makes a lot of noise. It's not a normal pump squeal, more like a loud growl. It makes the noise whenever there is pressure to lift the 3pt and will continue at the top end unless I back off the hand lever a tiny bit. I see there is a rod from one of the lift arms that backs off the center lever when the arm is at it's max lift - the one with the spring that activates the lift. That might also require an adjustment once I get the lift working correctly.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got back to the 850 yesterday and this morning. I drained the hydraulic fluid and pulled the screen. It was clogged.
I cleaned the screen and it cleaned up to like new. I cleaned out the screen housing, put it back together and filled it with new fluid.

The noise is gone and the lift does go up and down but...
There is only one position on the hand lever where the lift is not moving (slightly below fully up). If you push the lever forward even a tiny bit the 3pt will drop all the way down, if you pull up a tiny bit the 3pt will lift to the top and then the lever from the left arm will bump the center lever forward slight (and the hand lever) and stop the movement.

You can position the arms anywhere in the range by dropping it by pushing the hand lever forward when it gets to the required position pull back on the hand lever to the spot when all movement stops. The arms will then stay there. That's not how any 3pt I have used in the past 40+ years has worked and not how this one worked when I had it the first time (10-15 years ago). Any ideas what's going on here?

I do have the shop manuals (operators and service). I was also told that everything was working correctly after the remote valve was installed and started no working correctly just a few months ago.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was able to fix the 3pt position problem. The shaft from the lift handle was seized into the lever that actually pushes the rod for the lift valve. I would move the lever and work the valve but not correctly. I took it all apart, had to drive the shaft rod out of the lever. Cleaned, lubed and put back together and it works correctly now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts