Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all - Looking for some help with my 2006 Deere 997 zero turn, I bought it used a few years ago and have accumulated about 2200 hrs on it. While its down for the winter I'd like to do some PM work, specifically adjust the valves as it seems they are getting a little noisy. If anyone has some guidance on how to set TDC and how to proceed I would greatly appreciate it. I have looked in the owners manual and have found the clearances (intake/exhaust) both to be .002-.003", just not certain on the procedure.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree the TM would be useful but I'm struggling with the $131 for it. I was hoping someone might be able to screen shot or paraphrase the procedure that has a 997 or has done it before.

·
Registered
21,484 Posts
$131 isn’t that much is the grand scheme of things for a $20k machine.

It‘s a very worth while investment into your machine. If you plan to keep it for any amount of time you will need it sooner or later.

What you are asking is that someone who spent the money for the manual to share it with you for free.

The technical manual for my tractor was around $85 up until about 2 years ago. It is now $450.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed $131 isn't much on a 20k machine in the long term. In fairness I bought the machine very used and as I mentioned in my OP was looking for some help. If someone asked me and I had the information I know I would be more than apt to share.

Thanks for the link to the TMs though.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I tend to agree that it is a good idea to get the TM. I just bought the one for my Z950R now that I am the warranty. That said. JD is well known for using "off the shelf" major components. For instance the engine, transmissions and many times those manufacturers offer a manual for free. I have the Kawasaki Manual that I got from Kawasaki for free for my X585 and Z950R. I have the K92 Manual from Tuff Torque. I need to do the same for my drives on the Z950R. Odds are the real manufacturer has them out there.

I have noticed slight differences in these manuals when it comes to JD Specs and the real manufacturer. Not big differences but they do exist. For instance, I hate to bring this up, but oil recommendations have differed. Maybe that is why no one here can agree on this either.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
610 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts