Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
rant/
I was making my rounds today and I thought it might be time to put some of the toys on the battery tender. I put the gator on (3 years old) and it showed it was 80% or better. I opened the tractor and plugged it in and it showed it to be 60%.

I just ran it 8 days ago.... So I either have a sort of bad batterie, or I have some power draw. Part of me leans tword the batterie just with the luck I have had in the past.

By no means am I going to replace the battery, but it kind of struck me wrong as that battery is only 2-3 months old..... I figured it would be 90% or better.....

/rant

·
Registered
430 Posts
Brian,
What was the actual voltage of the battery at rest?

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
10.32v

There was no change from it being hooked up or not. Been on the battery tender now for 24 hours and is at 12.31v. Makes me wonder if I should put a real battery charger on it or just let the tender do it? Its blinking now letting me know its above 90% charge.....:empathy3:

·
Registered
430 Posts
I never use trickle chargers, there too slow for me. Sounds to me like you have bad cell, have you checked this? If it reverts back to the 10.3 volts while being disconnected I would take it in for an exchange. It shouldn't be dropping below 12.5 volts in two months time.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
I was just happy they finally went to sealed maintenance free batteries for my 4200.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used the tractor to put the "old" rotary cutter on our trailer on Saturday. Probably ran the tractor at about 15 minutes at 1200 to 1700 rpm's. Started fine, but I had the battery tender on it. I forgot to put the tender back on so I went out today and it was back at 10.5 volts. I think Steve is correct. Bad cell.

So I pulled the battery and have it on the tool bench. I put the normal charger on it for 2 hours. Showed 12.5v right after I removed the charger. 15 minutes later it was at 12.2v without anything hooked to it. I am going to see what its at after work. I have the best luck with deere batteries.:mocking:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Since it is a new battery I would think you should be able to exchange it at no cost. That is the best route for you I think.

I have about 30 batteries to keep up with for deep cycle I prefer Odyssey or the rebadged DieHard Platinum, for starting batteries in vehicles with frequent use I use the WalMart Everstart Maxx. When I can get 6 or 7 years out of a $60 to $75 dollar battery that is about as cheap as it gets.

I will be switching the tractors to Odyssey batteries too if I can get something that fits.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I will be switching the tractors to Odyssey batteries too if I can get something that fits.
I've never personally used the Die Hard Platinum, but heard many good things about it.
The Odyssey PC680MJT is a group 22NF Battery (the battery in our tractors) but its only listed as 220 CCA. The factory Strongbox is 500 CCA.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've never personally used the Die Hard Platinum, but heard many good things about it.
The Odyssey PC680MJT is a group 22NF Battery (the battery in our tractors) but its only listed as 220 CCA. The factory Strongbox is 500 CCA.
My Battery is a 770. Its much larger than the old 3720 battery.

·
Registered
733 Posts
My Battery is a 770. Its much larger than the old 3720 battery.
Can you take pics of your battery compartment? Took a peek at JDParts and the 4x20's have a Group 34. Which is SUPER nice because its a normal/easy to find battery size.
If/When (judging from the common complaints on Deere Batteries, I guess WHEN is the question) I'll need to replace my battery...would be nice to get a larger or more common sized battery. I'm just wondering if I could use the setup from the 4x20....

·
Registered
213 Posts
rant/
I was making my rounds today and I thought it might be time to put some of the toys on the battery tender. I put the gator on (3 years old) and it showed it was 80% or better. I opened the tractor and plugged it in and it showed it to be 60%.

I just ran it 8 days ago.... So I either have a sort of bad batterie, or I have some power draw. Part of me leans tword the batterie just with the luck I have had in the past.

By no means am I going to replace the battery, but it kind of struck me wrong as that battery is only 2-3 months old..... I figured it would be 90% or better.....

/rant
Your new 4520 battery is acting up?

Sounds like warranty time to me.

I have never had to put a battery in my tractors. 5yrs and going on some.

JD track - different story.

D.

·
Registered
430 Posts
A group 34 is a common size, haven't looked at my 4520 to determine the size needed yet but if this is the case then I will get a new battery for the tractor and use the Deere battery for my gas compressor. There is alot less chance for damage to a simple plastic battery box used on the compressor.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can you take pics of your battery compartment? Took a peek at JDParts and the 4x20's have a Group 34. Which is SUPER nice because its a normal/easy to find battery size.
If/When (judging from the common complaints on Deere Batteries, I guess WHEN is the question) I'll need to replace my battery...would be nice to get a larger or more common sized battery. I'm just wondering if I could use the setup from the 4x20....

Dave, I will take pictures when I remove it for replacement. The whole body on the 4x20 sieries sits higher and the battery sits on a tray that it lower than the 3720. You would have to do some major cutting to make it work.

A Picture is worth 1000 words here. I will try to post a pic asap.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Here is how the 4x20 batteries sit.

You are actually better off battery wise than a 3720 because you dont have the intercooler to contend with.

I just happened to find a nice yellow battery to fit in the 4520 once the deere replacement goes bad.:good2:

Attachments

·
Registered
430 Posts
Had a bunch of Optima batteries before, had atleast half of them fail when needed the most.:thumbsdown: With over 30 batteries to keep up with I have some experience here, some good and some bad. Optima was a bad experience for me.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Brian:

That looks like a pain to swap batteries on the 4x20 series.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Nope, its super easy. If you look in the first picture, right below the hood latchs there are two bolts. Take them out and the plate holding the battery comes off. Slide the battery right out and put the new one in. Nothing is in a tight place. I think its one of the better designs JD has.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Thanks for pointing out the bolts Brian, as does make it look easier to swap batteries out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts