Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at disks now that I plan on converting a one acre field [former corn/soy bean] into a garden/pasture/bee field.

This is using a 3046r/cab.

While on the JD site, I see pictures of the DH11 & DH13 disks, but the photo for the DH12 is a DH13.... I have the PDF from JD that lists dimensions/etc.

I am gathering information on the differences between the 3 types and I am getting the impression that I would like 9" spacing [deeper cut if wanted]

"plan A" is to go with notched front/rear smooth disks. Debating about scrapes [semi clay down here in monroe county, il] and the "de-furrower" [thinking if I cared much I would drag a 4x4 behind the thing.

Under no circumstances am I using a hand tiller on an acre ;)

Time/speed is no issue, multiple passes are fine as I am looking for things to do. (I have a cutter, and will be broadcast seeding hay/grass/clover mix as a cover crop initially while I debate the garden size)

Cost of implements is a consideration, and I am thinking this is a once per year use item, with maybe 3 or 4 passes.

Push come to shove, I will use the cutter and box blade the field to knock down the furrows and broadcast over that.

Thoughts?

Shane, please feel free to share your insight.

Thanks!

·
584 Posts
Don't know if it was me or another shane you were looking for bit here I am. You are dead on for the notched front/smooth rear. I'll get some numbers together so you can compare. Thanks

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

The thing that is confusing me is the deere factory site shows a photo of a 13 where it should be a 12.

I can tell the differences are mostly weight, in order: 11, 12, 13

So I wasn't sure what the frame of the 12 looked like.

It doesn't appear that anyone is using these [from the lack of people replying].

I am guessing most folks use a tiller, or larger tractors with road wheel 12' plus discs.

I am also looking for someone who bales in my area since I don't want to start buying "hay gear" ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts