Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
GTT Vendor
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After trying the Cyclone Rake Commander (32 bushel collector), we very quickly realized it was going to be too large for our particular property. Otherwise, it is a great machine. We have to dodge lots of obstacles and manage steep, moist hills and walls. This situation is exacerbated by the fact that the lawn duties have been relegated to my lovely better half who enjoys the mowing duties but is still a bit new at being aware of everything going on in front of and behind the machine.

2011-10-08_16-39-25_95 (Copy).jpg

2011-10-08_16-28-51_508 (Copy).jpg

I remembered a less popular attachment for the Deere machines and ended up getting one, the MC519. It seems like the perfect compromise for us. It is amazing to me how long they have been in existence but yet how well they adapt to the number of machines Deere has made over the years, even our 4WS X324, which has a lot of mechanical components at the rear of the machine.

The collector is only 19 bushels, but making a few more stops to empty it is not nearly as concerning to me as having an entire leaf cart (followed by tractor and operator) tumble over the edge of a retaining wall due to a momentary lapse of attention. Where I had to stay away from any edges/obstacles by at least one deck width with the CR, this MC519 seems to let me get within about a foot of most anything if careful. I especially like having the blower attached to the deck instead of a dedicated blower engine, which makes for a deafening experience and very difficult to tell if/when the mower deck PTO has cut out (such as when you touch the reverse pedal). Of course, with the dedicated blower, you will surely get better leaf compaction and possibly mulching action, but that's another sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Yet another compromise with the MC519 too is that it doesn't fold up flat like the CR, but at least it's not one of those monster dog house trailers which would simply take up too much room for us. When the MC519 is not in use, I'm sure we can find a space for it, and even store the powerflow blower and chute right inside.

As usual, Deere has the answers...

2011-10-20_17-30-49_77 (Copy).jpg

2011-10-20_17-31-54_42 (Copy).jpg

2011-10-20_17-32-12_706 (Copy).jpg

2011-10-20_17-32-40_609 (Copy).jpg

2011-10-20_17-33-02_398 (Copy).jpg

2011-10-20_17-34-13_265 (Copy).jpg

2011-10-20_17-36-13_271 (Copy).jpg

·
Corndog Hater
11,472 Posts
Thanks for the great write up and pics. I didn't realize the X3's would accept the MC519. It looks like it fits nicely and teamed with the AWS, you have a great combo. The Deere collection systems have come a long way since the bagger on my 1990 185 was made! :good2:

·
Administrator
17,506 Posts
Great setup Chris, I love the MC 519's also.

·
GTT Vendor
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
In case it would be helpful for anyone to see this setup in action, I brought in a model to take it for a spin. John Deere really should be paying me for this stuff...:laugh:

You can see how the 4WS has a pronounced effect on the motion of the cart in tight turns. The Cyclone Rake nearly broke the sound barrier in the same situation.

·
Administrator
17,506 Posts
Where was the tractor and MC519 in the video? All I saw was the gourgous model:lol:

·
Corndog Hater
11,472 Posts
Thanks for the video. If I had the "model" in my house use that setup, she would be a menace going way too fast and knocking the MC519 into things.:mocking:

·
GTT Vendor
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry Ken, I'm keeping this one!

Colony, I intentionally didn't get the Rear View Mirror option so there's no way to do makeup on it. Aside from that, as long as there's no parallel parking needed, we're all set.

...I'm so dead...:hide:

·
Corndog Hater
11,472 Posts
Sorry Ken, I'm keeping this one!

Colony, I intentionally didn't get the Rear View Mirror option so there's no way to do makeup on it. Aside from that, as long as there's no parallel parking needed, we're all set.

...I'm so dead...:hide:
:mocking: :lol: :lol: :thumbup1gif:

·
GTT Vendor
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi there Mr. Sniffer,

Barring any ludicrous metalworking references, my initial guess would have to be No, given the way the cart mounts to the tractor. However, have you asked a dealer about what they might have? If he starts talking about the 13 bushel bagger, promptly interrupt him and ask him what else he's got. I'm not much of a fan. We had one for our 2305 and it went unused after season 1.

There is a company out there who makes a spectacular MCS style attachment for these tractors similar to the dumping MCS that Deere used to make for the garden tractors. They are 3pt hitch mounting and everything. I'll try to think of their name but an internet search should reveal them pretty quickly. Good luck!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Chris, I do have the 3 bushel bagger on mine and feel the same about it as you do. I can not believe JD doesn't make a bagging cart like the 519 for the 1026. My dealer steered me towards the Protero unit, is that what you were thinking of?

·
GTT Vendor
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, that's them. It's the PV18. Slick! They are around the same cost as the JD bagger, I believe.

Not to derail your intentions, and without knowing your situation, perhaps consider mulching. It's a win-win.

·
Registered
251 Posts
$2500 shipped for the Protero.
Comparing notes, what didn't you like about the JD bagger? I'm used to a JRco trailer on my 265 so going to a bagger is a tad more messy. I find the bags really pack in too tight. I'm wondering how it'll work in the leaf season. So much more easy to dump a trailer.
Ever think about fabricating a hitch bracket to accommodate an MC519 for a 1026? It could bolt on right where the bagger bolts on. I would certainly buy one from you. :thumbup1gif:

7197570536_2bda89efb2_c.jpg

7197570326_2cff26dac1_c.jpg

·
GTT Vendor
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The JD bagger took 20 minutes to install and required two 32mm bolts to be tightened to 600 ft lbs (duhhhh! Hello?). The mounting frame is heavy and awkward for one person to safely install. Then, the plastic lid/housing with the steel subframe had to be picked up and set onto the frame, which was far too heavy and bulky for one person to do safely and without back injury. I managed, but hated every moment of it. Very disappointing in comparison to the 3 minutes it takes to remove the loader or backhoe.

To justify its cost, I expected to be able to use it for summer lawn and fall leaves. When mowing leaves, the bags would fill up in about 20-40 feet of mowing in the heaviest period of the season. Absolutely useless. It didn't mulch the leaves at all so you end up with bags stuffed mostly with air. I had intended to try rivetting some shredding blades onto the blower fan but never got the chance. This was something I would have expected to already be part of the system.

This thing was the opposite of a quick attachment. All they needed to do was construct it to slide into/onto the receiver hitch/tongue and secure with a pin or two. JD could have had some sort of stand/legs for it to sit at the correct elevation to just slide in/on to the tractor and the thing would have been a breeze to install/remove.

Being the ever curious ferret that I am, I have actually thought about coming up with an improved bagging system. Actually, I did make one for our old 318 some time ago. It was a 27 cu ft box that worked quite well. Wow, I haven't thought about that collector box for a long while. I'll have to dredge up some of the old photos and post them here. It wouldn't be difficult to do something similar, but from a manufacturing point of view it's a pretty major undertaking and our hands are already pretty full at the moment. Hopefully, as Artillian grows and spreads out we'll be able to branch out into things like this. As for the MC519 cart on the back of the subcompacts, I think the 19 bushels would be a little small and arguably not worth the time. As it is our X324 can fill it up in a matter of minutes if the conditions are right.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Chris, thanks for taking the time to respond. The Protero is only 14.5 bushels. I'm beginning to think I should hang on to my JRco bagger and have a metalsmith make up a hitch to fit my 1026. It could be a simple T that hooks on to the same 30mm holes the bagger uses Not sure if the end of the powerflow is anywhere near the elevation of the trailer though. Would have to use flex hose like the Protero uses. Any thoughts?

7197570024_278df7cb8d_c.jpg

PS WHat would the "mulching kit" entail in terms of contents and price?

·
GTT Vendor
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If the Protero mulches and compacts, that would be better than what you'd get out of the JD blower/MC519. I haven't done the research to know. Plus, the Protero appears made for fast dumping so it would be less inconvenient (..more convenient) to have to empty more often.

If you already had the MC519 and wanted to adapt it, then sure, it's probably an economical solution but if you are going to go buy it, then adapt it, I think it would be better to just make a box to suit.

I guess this could turn into a pretty big subject...!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I ordered a Protero PV18 for my JD1026R with 60" deck and it is due to ship June 29th. The 14.5 bushel capacity will not be an issue as my unloading will be in a compost area. The dump from seat will be a pleasure as I am dumping, not bagging the clippings. I do not wish to mulch as clippings and clumps leave dead spots. The 35,000sq ft front yard was completely redone this spring and want to keep it looking good. Backyard is for the dogs, until they croak, so all my effort will be on the front. I do not have an irrigation system but do run a couple sprinkler tractors which have done a fantastic job. I have painted them in JD colors to join the team. When I get the Protero system, I will post some photos and the results.
DE Dirt

·
Registered
430 Posts
I bought a new MC 519 for my x749 about two months ago and found the hook up to be a pita. I have a 3PH and IMatch that stays on the mower. I will be refitting the MCS to IMatch in the next month or so. Other than that the collection seems to work well enough for me.

I will post pics of the adaptor.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I ordered a Protero PV18 for my JD1026R with 60" deck and it is due to ship June 29th. The 14.5 bushel capacity will not be an issue as my unloading will be in a compost area. The dump from seat will be a pleasure as I am dumping, not bagging the clippings. I do not wish to mulch as clippings and clumps leave dead spots. The 35,000sq ft front yard was completely redone this spring and want to keep it looking good. Backyard is for the dogs, until they croak, so all my effort will be on the front. I do not have an irrigation system but do run a couple sprinkler tractors which have done a fantastic job. I have painted them in JD colors to join the team. When I get the Protero system, I will post some photos and the results.
DE Dirt
I would very much like to hear your impressions when you get it as well as see some pictures. I'm curious, does anyone know what the return policy is on implements? I would like to return my bagger and powerflow and spring for a Protero.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts