Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok all, I havent picked up my tractor yet.
Am looking forward to picking it up later this week.

Have read some threads about decks not working well from the dealer, issues with setup, long adjuster bolts falling out etc.

I like tinkering... but for the next 3-4 months - I don't have time. I'm hoping to get the tractor and have it work.

Did most of you have your 1023/1025 work well from the dealer? I am hoping so. Hopefully these are just occasional issues?

I don't mean to have this sound negative- just hoping that green is the right choice. I want it to be.

If I buy a new truck I don't expect to have to adjust things and "oh don't worry just pull the tailgate and doors off and follow this handy guide"

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
From the many threads and posts I have read, it seems to depend greatly on the individual dealer to have your initial setup correct. The guys at my dealer (since closed) were complete morons. I was delivered an unusable 1025, the pedals were so out of adjustment it would kill the engine the moment you engaged the pto and tried to move forward. It was leaking antifreeze, missing parts, nothing set up correctly, because the dealers shop was manned by incompetent dipsh-ts.

Since I made them take it back and re-fix it, and I had the time to fix and redo their screw-ups, I’ve had virtually no troubles. And it seems most other dealerships are much better than the one I dealt with.

Finally my 2 cents on the mower deck, if you get a mower and do not want to deal with setup and adjustment headaches, do like I did and get the manual-connect mower driveshaft. It requires crawling under the tractor to slip the driveshaft on or off the pto output when you take the deck on or off, but it’s freakin fool-proof. No setup required. (Others will disagree with me and say get the autoconnect pto setup).

I’m very happy with my 1025, and a little common sense and attention to detail goes a long way.

Edit: one other thing, when you get your tractor delivered, insist they give you the setup / installed instructions for any dealer-installed accessories, read the steps and CHECK THEIR WORK to make sure they did it correctly.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
...Finally my 2 cents on the mower deck, if you get a mower and do not want to deal with setup and adjustment headaches, do like I did and get the manual-connect mower driveshaft. It requires crawling under the tractor to slip the driveshaft on or off the pto output when you take the deck on or off, but it’s freakin fool-proof. No setup required. (Others will disagree with me and say get the autoconnect pto setup).
The only issue I am aware of that the manual connect PTO would eliminate is the necessity of having that long bolt (which sets the angle of the PTO coupler) adjusted correctly. Perhaps it would also allow you to connect more easily on uneven ground?

If the deck is going to stay on the tractor most of the time then the auto connect PTO may not be worth it. I think headaches arise only when it isn't put together correctly.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Did most of you have your 1023/1025 work well from the dealer? I am hoping so. Hopefully these are just occasional issues?

I don't mean to have this sound negative- just hoping that green is the right choice. I want it to be.

If I buy a new truck I don't expect to have to adjust things and "oh don't worry just pull the tailgate and doors off and follow this handy guide"
I think most people don't have issues.

The problem is that unlike a factory assembly line, the decks are installed by (potentially) the newest, least experienced employee at the dealership, and there is likely no quality checks other than it seems to work when they are done.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Ok all, I havent picked up my tractor yet.
Am looking forward to picking it up later this week.

Have read some threads about decks not working well from the dealer, issues with setup, long adjuster bolts falling out etc.

I like tinkering... but for the next 3-4 months - I don't have time. I'm hoping to get the tractor and have it work.

when the dealer delivers it you make sure everything works and have him go through all the functions untill you know them, by heart.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I've had my 1025r for almost a year and a half. The only problem I've had is a clogged fuel filter. Can't blame that on anything except some bad fuel.

·
Administrator
17,265 Posts
The thread title should read "Dealer Quality", while there is certainly some things mother Deere can do better...most issues you read about here are caused by the dealers IMHO.

·
Registered
21,446 Posts
You have to remember something - this is a public forum.

What does that mean? People will come here when they have an issue with something either looking for advise or just to rant. Probably 90% of tractor owners are 100% happy with their machines and have no reason to search us out and/or post here.

So what you are seeing here is maybe 10% of the tractor owners of which you will see issues.

Just the nature of online forums.

·
Registered
12,508 Posts
I don't remember seeing a lot of posts of poor quality, be it from Deere or dealer, it might seem like it at times but for reasons. You don't very often see people post when everything is set up perfect and working great, maybe if there were more of that you'd see that the good would outweigh the bad.

·
Premium Member
7,897 Posts
I don't remember seeing a lot of posts of poor quality, be it from Deere or dealer, it might seem like it at times but for reasons. You don't very often see people post when everything is set up perfect and working great, maybe if there were more of that you'd see that the good would outweigh the bad.
:good2:

Just like the evening news, good news isn't news worthy.

When they deliver it, check it out and try it out.

I would still recommend going over the machine a couple times after you use it and just check it over.

Stuff happens.

A little preventative maintenance goes a long way.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
As I suggested in your other thread, have them demonstrate good, clean drive over connect and disconnect before accepting delivery.
Mine was fine the first summer but I had some bolts fall off or come loose from the mower and deck driveshaft assembly.
I followed the advice on this forum and carefully reset all the adjustments to the linkage and then individually took each bolt and nut and applied low strength loctite.
Not one problem and flawless connect and detach behavior ever since.(three years)
These are not cars.
Implements and attachments can generate large amounts of vibration even though you may not feel the full amplitude in the operators seat.
Things need to be looked at and adjusted as needed.
You are capable of making more precise adjustments than an average dealership technician by virtue of taking more time than they are allotted, and caring more about the result than they may.
There are two ways to take excellent care of these tractors;
become intimately familiar with your machine and spend time inspecting, lubricating and adjusting, or send it to a dealer once a year and pay them to do it.
I know some folks are more talented in other areas of expertise than mechanics and I would think no less of you for paying vs doing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts