Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,021 Posts
This is one of the reasons things cost what they do!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is one of the reasons things cost what they do!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's the same thing that ran through my mind when I read it.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Seriously? Really? So they want 12 million in damages. What's John Deere supposed to do, install a water wash down system on all combines?

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
If this goes through I will be canceling my car insurance and let the vehicle manufactures pick it up.

Operators fault, IMO.
They say a rock got in the 'intake chute', whatever that means, and it caused sparks. I personally think its a stretch to pin this on any particular person. Stuff happens, which is why this all seems ridiculous to me. It could have happens to a case IH or new holland combine just as easily. I think this case will be hard to justify considering that any make of combine could've had this happen.

But yeah if it goes through i'll cancel my insurance and say that GM should've made the vehicle in a way that avoided the accident. :laugh:

·
Old Pa-pa
11,345 Posts
Ambulance chasing lawyers going after the deepest pockets, John Deere.

In lots of cases now days, there should be a law against lawyers................Just saying.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Don't laugh

Seriously? Really? So they want 12 million in damages. What's John Deere supposed to do, install a water wash down system on all combines?
Ironically, at one point EPA was pushing that idea so that combines and other farm equipment wouldn't pollute the air with dust. There was some prototype work done until finally somebody basically said this is nuts. The dust is pretty large particles and they don't travel far.

The idea will come back, guaranteed.

All models of combines sometimes do catch on fire. Deere has had a couple that seem more susceptible than others for whatever reason. Pretty much all the cotton farmers I now figure there cotton pickers will catch on fire at some point. They usually park a truck with a nurse tank in the field and hope to limit the damage when the fire happens. There is just too many moving parts around dry materials to always prevent fires. Blow the machine off every night, check bearings for hot spots, replace belts and then you hit a rock in the field and it sparks. . . I wouldn't totally rule out Deere having to pay, you never know what the outcome will be with the right or wrong jury.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
In a perfect world the lawyer would have to stick his head in there to make sure the rock caused the sparks.
Actually, it would be the lawyer head stuck in the machine which would be causing the sparks.......Except, it would likely deflate like a balloon and he would briefly fly around and then crash. Of course when the combine runs over his deflated head body, there would be a personal injury lawsuit to follow.

Here are the largest lobby groups and the money they spent between 1998 - 2019. Note, they are all in BILLIONS of dollars. One of my favorite is the civil servants / public officials spending money to lobby their counterparts. Where do you think the billions come from to lobby themselves?

Pharmaceuticals/Health Products$4,222,052,092
Insurance$2,857,223,698
Electric Utilities$2,476,802,899
Electronics Mfg & Equip$2,381,455,947
Business Associations$2,351,863,077
Oil & Gas$2,222,220,083
Misc Manufacturing & Distributing$1,791,954,228
Hospitals/Nursing Homes$1,711,377,490
Education$1,711,330,474
Securities & Investment$1,647,234,113
Real Estate$1,636,690,143
Telecom Services$1,626,106,014
Health Professionals$1,540,969,346
Civil Servants/Public Officials$1,516,991,963
Air Transport$1,509,651,949
Health Services/HMOs$1,179,913,647
Automotive$1,160,280,963
Defense Aerospace$1,140,037,196
Misc Issues$1,115,520,852
TV/Movies/Music$1,092,420,789

·
Registered
7,949 Posts
Lawyers like to cast the largest net to snare anyone remotely involved that has the ability to pay. Not because they really did anything wrong, its just a form of legal extortion to sue in such a manner.

Here is a commercial likely to start running on TV soon.......

If you used the services of a "professional personal relations expert" and later developed a series of STD's, you might be eligible for a large financial payment. Join this latest class-less action lawsuit by contacting the experts at "Duey, Cheate'm and Howe"

·
Premium Member
4,579 Posts
It a much more sensitive world now. It will be just simply I went on a dating sight and my feelings were hurt because they did not do a good enough background check on the people there.

·
Old Pa-pa
11,345 Posts
It a much more sensitive world now. It will be just simply I went on a dating sight and my feelings were hurt because they did not do a good enough background check on the people there.
What happened to the old fashion way of going to a bar and trying to pick up a hot chick! :dunno: :laugh:

·
Premium Member
4,579 Posts
What happened to the old fashion way of going to a bar and trying to pick up a hot chick! :dunno: :laugh:
I can’t help you there. My wife and I were married shortly after we were of age to drink. Had I tried that 2 things would have happened. I would have failed and lost her too. She would have not been understanding at all about that.

·
Premium Member
7,451 Posts
Ironically, at one point EPA was pushing that idea so that combines and other farm equipment wouldn't pollute the air with dust. There was some prototype work done until finally somebody basically said this is nuts. The dust is pretty large particles and they don't travel far.

The idea will come back, guaranteed.

All models of combines sometimes do catch on fire. Deere has had a couple that seem more susceptible than others for whatever reason. Pretty much all the cotton farmers I now figure there cotton pickers will catch on fire at some point. They usually park a truck with a nurse tank in the field and hope to limit the damage when the fire happens. There is just too many moving parts around dry materials to always prevent fires. Blow the machine off every night, check bearings for hot spots, replace belts and then you hit a rock in the field and it sparks. . . I wouldn't totally rule out Deere having to pay, you never know what the outcome will be with the right or wrong jury.

Treefarmer
Anyone know if they actually had a fire extinguisher on hand?
I saw a fire extinguisher in the cab of local farmer's combine. I asked him if it was big enough to stop a combine fire (looked too small to me). He told no, that's there only to make sure the operator can get out OK, to knock down any flames in way of exiting, long enough to get out. Then watch it burn.

I have seen several after the fire, sitting in the field where they burnt.

·
Premium Member
4,571 Posts
Here's a bit of a different slant on the issue; seems the rock was lodged somewhere in the header...also, from the looks of the combine, it may have caught fire first. I've cut a lot of wheat, and I find it hard to believe that an operator didn't know that something was "caught" in the header, or that something was not right...and if I recall correctly, my combine didn't have mirrors. I have "harvested" a lot of dirt from badger dens, but no rocks to my knowledge.

In any case, I suspect the lawyers have their work cut out for them.

Lawsuit Alleges Rancher, John Deere Combine Caused Wildfire - AgWeb

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I saw a fire extinguisher in the cab of local farmer's combine. I asked him if it was big enough to stop a combine fire (looked too small to me). He told no, that's there only to make sure the operator can get out OK, to knock down any flames in way of exiting, long enough to get out. Then watch it burn.

Yeah, generally unless someone else notices it (grain cart/truck driver), by the time the operator notices it it's beyond what any fire extinguisher is gonna do. Too many shields/covers to "hide" the flame, or even really get at it to extinguish. Hence why many now have 1000+ gallon tank trucks in the field as a back up, also, when fire chances are high, many farmers will keep a tractor and disk/cultivator in the field to attempt to contain the fire.

Here's a bit of a different slant on the issue; seems the rock was lodged somewhere in the header...also, from the looks of the combine, it may have caught fire first. I've cut a lot of wheat, and I find it hard to believe that an operator didn't know that something was "caught" in the header, or that something was not right...and if I recall correctly, my combine didn't have mirrors. I have "harvested" a lot of dirt from badger dens, but no rocks to my knowledge.

In any case, I suspect the lawyers have their work cut out for them.

Lawsuit Alleges Rancher, John Deere Combine Caused Wildfire - AgWeb
Yeah, that looks like a 20 series combine (66/77/8820) so 70s era.
My guess would be caught in the feeder house? Or maybe in the rock trap but was still contacting the feeder chain?

I've harvested lots of dirt, and rocks. Luckily none caused sparks/fire. They DID cause some bent feeder bars, broken chains, and bent sieves though!

·
Registered
4,425 Posts

I know a guy thats addicted to mountain dew. He has a whole case in the cab with him at any given time, and several in the back of his pickup. These are the 20oz bottles, by the way, not cans. Anyhow the combine caught on fire and somehow he noticed pretty fast, so he immediately hit it with the fire extinguisher which got most of the fire but not quite enough to stop the blaze. He ended up dumping the mountain dew on it and was able to get it pretty much put out.

At the end of the day the combine only had minor damage (minor as far as combine fires go), so it wan't a total loss. I think he ran it till the end of the season and traded it in.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts