Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's grandpa passed a year ago, we ended up with this tape measure in some stuff when her mom passed. He was always a Deere man being in Iowa. He clearly used this but it works perfect. Not sure how old it is, could be fairly new, was going to put it on EBay. Tried Googling it but nothing much comes up.

deere_tape-measure.JPG

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
No idea age or worth, but is a neat item to find!

·
Registered
11,246 Posts
Is it a Zippo?

·
8,558 Posts
Did Zippo make Tape Measures??? If they did, it was definitely before my time! :laugh:

·
Registered
11,246 Posts
Did Zippo make Tape Measures??? If they did, it was definitely before my time! :laugh:
Most everything was before your time.:laugh:

Yes, Zippo at least had their name on tape measures, although I don't know if they actually made them. They looked like a Zippo lighter which the one that Texkev pictured does. When I was young, I had a lot of experience with a Zippo lighter, but not with a tape measure.

·
Super Moderator
4,844 Posts
I found a couple of links for similar tape measures that have sold recently but no pics to go with them.

John Deere G Tractor Zippo Lighter | eBay

Find John Deere Tape Measure

Looks like they run in the $20-$25 range.

Apparently tape measures were a popular give-away from the JD Credit Union. There are several other types that were given out over the years.

·
8,558 Posts
Most everything was before your time.:laugh:

Yes, Zippo at least had their name on tape measures, although I don't know if they actually made them. They looked like a Zippo lighter which the one that Texkev pictured does. When I was young, I had a lot of experience with a Zippo lighter, but not with a tape measure.
Zippo Tape Measure??? All I had ever heard of is the lighter. I learn something new, about a lot of things, every day on this site!!

·
Registered
754 Posts
Having lived in the MOLINE, IL area for 35 yrs, the JD Credit Unions were for the employees of John Deere manufacturing plants. Normally they'd be called JD Harvester Works CU, or JD Horicon Works CU, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts