Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Brian...figured you'd be the person to ask....What do you think of the Deere Engine in your 4x compared to the Yanmar? Its unfair to say that theres way more power, but how about everything else?

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I only have 3 hours on the tractor so its hard to say. I am sure there are people who are more qualified!

My initial reaction was wow, its quiet. People talk about the loud clatter that the powertech has compared to the yanmar. It is louder, but by no means a clacky loud.

Be it more power, or a 3cyl to a 4 cyl, torque is what surprises me. I can remember being at a friends home and I drove into an ant hill with the bucket to move it. I was a bit aggressive without load match on and I stalled the tractor. I cannot see anything like that happening with this tractor. Might it be HP? Torque? It just feels much, much, much more like a diesel tractor engine. The yanmar was nice, but the rpm's fluctuated a ton. Not so much anymore.

The oil filter is 2 times the size. The engine compartment is packed! The exhaust is at least twice the size. When I am tilling, I am moving enough air out front to make the dirt and plants blow away.

It also seems to idle a bit faster at 950 rpms...

I honestly think I was using my 3720 for a bit more than it was designed. When asking it to work a 5 acre field, it was not cutting it... This one has no issue. So what I notice, others might not.

The last thing I see is that my temp gage runs a bit past half almost to 3/4 to hot. My yanmar never got to half. That might be programming? This engine does not seem to get hot. But it freaked me out the first time out.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have about 650 hrs on my 110tlb with the Yanmar engine and about 190 hrs on my 4520. Both seem to be rock solid without a problem but the Yanmar does start with a quick turn whereas the Deere has to be wound up.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
My temp gauge runs at 3/4 up. I recently got a hand held IR thermometer to check it all out. I went from my B21 (21 HP) to the 4520, so it was a huge leap. For grass cutting, went from my 318 (18 HP gas, 50" cutter) to the 4520 and MX6. Wow.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have about 650 hrs on my 110tlb with the Yanmar engine and about 190 hrs on my 4520. Both seem to be rock solid without a problem but the Yanmar does start with a quick turn whereas the Deere has to be wound up.
I've also heard that the Deere engine is a TOUGH starter in the winter (around here in Maine).....Brian, does your 4520 sleep outside? Mine does but doesnt...she sleeps in one of those "Tarp Garages" for now.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
That is one thing I have found myself doing --- Letting off the key before it starts.
I thought it was me not waiting long enough for the computer to do its gig.

By no means am I saying the yanmar is a bad engine. I to think its a long lasting rock solid motor! But there are differences.

I have yet to see if I can slip the new machine into our heated garage. It looks tight! But it will most likely be in an unheated barn. I started it yesterday morning with no issues at 36 degrees, but thats a far cry from zero....

·
Registered
430 Posts
Brian,
I have started mine near zero last year with no problems after being outside all night.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts