Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by my local dealer today to buy some grease for my 1025r. They recommended the Water Resistant grease in the blue label to use in my 1025r. Is this grease okay for use on the tractor , loader, backhoe and mower deck?
Does anyone else use this grease?
I would like to have one type of grease to use on all of my equipment.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I used to use it on my JX85 push mower and GS30 WB mower, but dont anymore. Nothing wrong with it, just found it wasnt necessary.
Now its SD Polyurea or HD Moly. I have a gun for each one, use the HD Moly for pins on the BH and Loader, Polyurea everywhere else, including the Exmark.
The water resistant stuff is fine, but not necessary unless you are worried about water washing it out. Since I used to get caught in the rain, and also wash the mowers down all the time, thats why I used it. Turned out the regular stuff doesnt wash out from just a wash now and then, unless you are really trying.
My dealer recommended the combo I have now. Or rather their setup guy did, who has been there for about 20 years now, and fixes the stuff the regular techs cant seem to, lol.

According to my 2025 manual, SD Polyurea or HD Moly are preferred.
They do say that wet or high speed conditions may require special grease.

You certainly wont hurt anything using it if thats what you want to do.

·
Registered
190 Posts
It should work for the whole tractor. I have not used the Deere brand grease, I use the Lucas x-tra heavy duty grease for everything that has a zerk or bearing. I can also get it at my local parts store too being that closest JD dealer is 25 miles away. The Lucas grease is rated at 560 degrees while the JD grease is rated at 260 and both are water resistant, I try to use the highest rated grease.

https://lucasoil.com/products/grease/lucas-x-tra-heavy-duty-grease

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
It should work for the whole tractor. I have not used the Deere brand grease, I use the Lucas x-tra heavy duty grease for everything that has a zerk or bearing. I can also get it at my local parts store too being that closest JD dealer is 25 miles away. The Lucas grease is rated at 560 degrees while the JD grease is rated at 260 and both are water resistant, I try to use the highest rated grease.

https://lucasoil.com/products/grease/lucas-x-tra-heavy-duty-grease
What does the rating of 260 deg pertain to? The dropping point? If so, I thought the JD polyurea grease had a 550 deg dropping point.
The poly urea is pretty water resistant in its own right.

·
Registered
190 Posts
What does the rating of 260 deg pertain to? The dropping point? If so, I thought the JD polyurea grease had a 550 deg dropping point.
The poly urea is pretty water resistant in its own right.
The dropping point is when the grease goes from a semi-solid to liquid (i.e. "melting point"). The higher the rating, the better heat resistance of the grease. So for bearings that run fast and generate heat, the higher the dropping point, the better it is for them.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
The dropping point is when the grease goes from a semi-solid to liquid (i.e. "melting point"). The higher the rating, the better heat resistance of the grease. So for bearings that run fast and generate heat, the higher the dropping point, the better it is for them.
I know what dropping point is, I was asking if the that's what you were referring to. Where are you getting the idea that the JD grease has a dropping point of 260 deg (Celsius maybe).
The JD poly urea grease has a much lower washout percentage than the grease you listed. 10% vs 2% loss.

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
190 Posts
I know what dropping point is, I was asking if the that's what you were referring to. Where are you getting the idea that the JD grease has a dropping point of 260 deg (Celsius maybe).
The JD poly urea grease has a much lower washout percentage than the grease you listed. 10% vs 2% loss.
Depending on which site you look at, it ranges from 260 to 360 degrees F...

https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/pmac/8180_fb_GreaseSpecialMultiPurpose.htm#_Special-Purpose_HD_Water-Resistant_2

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
If I remember my manual correctly, the substitute for all multi-use greases on machines and attachments is "NLGI No. 2" grease. NOT that it's the best grease, only that NLGI No. 2 grease is an ACCEPTABLE substitute. "If ya can't get the grease you want, use the grease that's available." You can always "re-grease" with your favorite stuff when you find the right stuff.

The most important factor in grease is how often one uses it.

·
Registered
3,905 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
I used to use it on my JX85 push mower and GS30 WB mower, but dont anymore. Nothing wrong with it, just found it wasnt necessary.
Now its SD Polyurea or HD Moly. I have a gun for each one, use the HD Moly for pins on the BH and Loader, Polyurea everywhere else, including the Exmark.
The water resistant stuff is fine, but not necessary unless you are worried about water washing it out. Since I used to get caught in the rain, and also wash the mowers down all the time, thats why I used it. Turned out the regular stuff doesnt wash out from just a wash now and then, unless you are really trying.
My dealer recommended the combo I have now. Or rather their setup guy did, who has been there for about 20 years now, and fixes the stuff the regular techs cant seem to, lol.

According to my 2025 manual, SD Polyurea or HD Moly are preferred.
They do say that wet or high speed conditions may require special grease.

You certainly wont hurt anything using it if thats what you want to do.
I'm with Jim on this-just get a second grease gun and go with the manufacturers specifications, and make adjustments only if you have conditions that require it.

Whenever a JD dealer tells me that they use one grease for everything, I make a mental note to never take anything to them for service. To me, that statement raises the question - will the grease that they decide to use for everything be compatible with the recommended ones that I use? It also raises a bigger question - where else do they cut corners?

Jim - my manual specifies moly *only* for the backhoe, and polyurea for the FEL. It's odd that the specs would be different for the 2025r.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
That’s out of the tractor manual. I believe the others are the same as yours.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Actually, my 2017 1025R Operator's Manual now states that "Super Grease" is preferred. I just received another grease gun for the rack of guns for that flavor. I only have room for one more.....

DSCN0082[1].JPG

·
Old Pa-pa
12,148 Posts
Deere dealer down here, (south Louisiana, very high moisture environment), recommend JD *blue* grease for just about everything, even their big agriculture tractors.

Have been using it for the Z Trak and also on IH tractor for 4 years, no problems.
I do a grease job on both every 25 hours of operation.

The important thing to me is greasing on a regular basis and remember not to mix lithium base greases with polyurea
base greases.

JD *blue* is lithium base.

·
Premium Member
13,634 Posts
Actually, my 2017 1025R Operator's Manual now states that "Super Grease" is preferred. I just received another grease gun for the rack of guns for that flavor. I only have room for one more.....
Where are you seeing that in the manual? The most recent 1025R on-line manual still lists SD Polyurea as the preferred grease (see section below). They do list "Super Lube" as a preferred lubricant but they don't list it under grease (very confusing).
[h=3]Grease[/h]Avoid Damage! Use recommended John Deere greases to avoid component failure and premature wear.
The recommended John Deere greases are effective within an average air temperature range of -29 to 135 degrees C (-20 to 275 degrees F).
If operating outside that temperature range, contact your Servicing dealer for a special-use grease.

The following greases are preferred:

• John Deere Multi-Purpose SD Polyurea Grease
  • John Deere Multi-Purpose HD Lithium Complex GreaseIf not using any of the preferred greases, be sure to use a general all-purpose grease with an NLGI grade No.2 rating.
    Wet or high speed conditions may require use of a special-use grease. Contact your Servicing dealer for information.

The following lubricant is preferred:

• SUPER LUBE® lubricant.[SUP]1[/SUP]
What is Super Grease anyway? I don't see it listed anywhere on the JD grease product chart.

JD_grease.jpg

·
Registered
2,150 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,634 Posts
It is kind of pricey for grease. So my plan is to use it just where specifically called for.
JD also has a spray lubricant that they call Super Lube so they've built in some confusion factor. BTW - all previous versions of the 1025R manual going back to 2012 has the same "Super Lube" section listed with the grease. Which, I'm willing to bet refers to the Super Lube spray lubricant, not grease.

Where specifically in the manual do they call for Super Lube grease? Under the 50-hr section on the maintenance chart is listed the somewhat vague statement "Lubricate control valve and all grease points". But they don't bother to tell you where the "all grease points" are. All previous versions of the manual had little pictures showing you where all the grease zerks were. Both drive shaft lubrication sections call for John Deere multi-purpose grease. The only place I see Super Lube mentioned is in the "Lubricate 3-Point Hitch" section where it says "Lubricate ball joints (A) with the SUPER LUBE® lubricant". But in this case they actually mean Super Lube spray not grease.

While on the subject of Super Lube spray... most tractor manuals instruct to use Super Lube spray on the SCV linkage, the hood latch linkage, the 3-point hitch and various other places where a light lubricant is needed. I don't see any mention of this in the 1-series manuals.

Obviously this is another example where JD has updated and worded the manual in such a way as to make even the simple task of greasing the tractor complicated. :) It's no wonder folks would use the wrong lubricant.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
JD also has a spray lubricant that they call Super Lube so they've built in some confusion factor. BTW - all previous versions of the 1025R manual going back to 2012 has the same "Super Lube" section listed with the grease. Which, I'm willing to bet refers to the Super Lube spray lubricant, not grease.

Where specifically in the manual do they call for Super Lube grease? Under the 50-hr section on the maintenance chart is listed the somewhat vague statement "Lubricate control valve and all grease points". But they don't bother to tell you where the "all grease points" are. All previous versions of the manual had little pictures showing you where all the grease zerks were. Both drive shaft lubrication sections call for John Deere multi-purpose grease. The only place I see Super Lube mentioned is in the "Lubricate 3-Point Hitch" section where it says "Lubricate ball joints (A) with the SUPER LUBE® lubricant". But in this case they actually mean Super Lube spray not grease.

Obviously this is another example where JD has updated and worded the manual in such a way as to make even the simple task of greasing the tractor complicated. :) It's no wonder folks would use the wrong lubricant.
Now that you've explained it and cleared up the confusion, it makes perfect sense---sorta.

·
Premium Member
13,634 Posts
Now that you've explained it and cleared up the confusion, it makes perfect sense---sorta.
Heh heh... it can't make total sense or it wouldn't qualify to be a JD manual. :banghead:

Reactions: Kloudbuster

·
Registered
1,937 Posts

While on the subject of Super Lube spray... most tractor manuals instruct to use Super Lube spray on the SCV linkage, the hood latch linkage, the 3-point hitch and various other places where a light lubricant is needed. I don't see any mention of this in the 1-series manuals.

Agreed. Deere isnt going to recommend a grease they dont make, when they make the correct grade grease already. To add to that, Super Lube, the lubricant manufacturer, has 7 different greases, so if its a grease, which one is it? They are pretty specific with what specific greases they recommend is my point there, and there is none for that except name.
Now, there is Super Lube, the spray, from Synco Chemical Corp., who is specifically mentioned in the manual (The 1 reference after SUPER-LUBE lubricant).

So which is it?
I dont know for sure what the heck Deere is after.
I do know that I already have the grease I am going to use, and that for spray lubes, I doubt the Super Lube is critical, though it is a very good one.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts