Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I was at the Dodge dealer on Monday I was talking to the manager about a 2013 Ram truck that had come in with DEF in the fuel. The owner accidentally added the DEF to the fuel and ran it and now it won't start. All I can say is since this stuff crystalizes it will be a very expensive repair. Injectors alone will be $1200+.

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
When I was at the Dodge dealer on Monday I was talking to the manager about a 2013 Ram truck that had come in with DEF in the fuel. The owner accidentally added the DEF to the fuel and ran it and now it won't start. All I can say is since this stuff crystalizes it will be a very expensive repair. Injectors alone will be $1200+.
They should send the bill to the dirty hippies or yuppies.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I guess I gotta ask what's DEF

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
My '03, F-250 might begin to look a little long in the tooth, but I hope it and the 7.3L in it last another 20 years!

·
Premium Member
7,716 Posts
Hopefully the fuel filter stopped it and is now plugged.
I have wanted a diesel truck for years. It will be a used one or sure now.
If a Ford it will be a 7.3
If a Dodge a 5.9 '04.5 to 07
If GM an LBZ

·
Super Moderator
8,052 Posts
My '03, F-250 might begin to look a little long in the tooth, but I hope it and the 7.3L in it last another 20 years!

Early '03 was the last of the 7.3's as the 6.0 was introduced mid-year. Take care of her and keep her runin'

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
8,558 Posts
Early '03 was the last of the 7.3's as the 6.0 was introduced mid-year. Take care of her and keep her runin'

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Yes, I plan to try. If the engine ever fails, I'll put a factory reman. in it! Just don't want to total the rest of it!

·
Premium Member
7,716 Posts
Yes, I plan to try. If the engine ever fails, I'll put a factory reman. in it! Just don't want to total the rest of it!
Be GLAD you are not in Michigan. The truck will rust away before the engine ever fails

·
8,558 Posts
Be GLAD you are not in Michigan. The truck will rust away before the engine ever fails
That would break my heart! I am still driving a '91 F-150 for the farm truck. Plan to keep it forever too, because it has a straight 6 in it. Can't get those anymore either.

·
Registered
892 Posts
My Jeep has an I6 as well as my Cummins. I'm keeping them forever too.

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hopefully the fuel filter stopped it and is now plugged.
I have wanted a diesel truck for years. It will be a used one or sure now.
If a Ford it will be a 7.3
If a Dodge a 5.9 '04.5 to 07
If GM an LBZ
I would say a filter could stop a cup of water but not gallons. So it pushed by the filter and in diesel it crystallizes/separates so it was everywhere, lines, injectors, pump and tank. The Ford procedure is to replace everything if crystals are found at the injectors.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I would say a filter could stop a cup of water but not gallons. So it pushed by the filter and in diesel it crystallizes/separates so it was everywhere, lines, injectors, pump and tank. The Ford procedure is to replace everything if crystals are found at the injectors.
Does warranty kick in or is it considered operator error?

·
8,558 Posts
I agree. They'll call it operator error.

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I heard the dealer tell the owner to call his insurance company. I wonder if insurance would cover an error like this. I'm thinking no but I'm guessing.

·
Premium Member
14,742 Posts
I heard the dealer tell the owner to call his insurance company. I wonder if insurance would cover an error like this. I'm thinking no but I'm guessing.
Could or should take his diesel away from him ...On the insurance side, a insurance agent was telling me , his mother used a cleaner one day not made for leather seats. Bleached her car seats bad, the insurance company paid for replacement, same if a milk jug leaks, or someone spills something on the seats and carpeting in car. They will pay to have it cleaned or replaced after you pay your deductible. So it is possible they may pay . I watched a fellow was pouring DEF in his truck one day ,noticed the diesel and DEF caps was side by side. Maybe same as his ??:dunno:

·
Registered
892 Posts
I'm really glad my diesels don't need to carry goat pee. Just sayin'

·
Registered
12 Posts
Save the Old Diesels

I have my 1984 Ford Ranger 2.2L Perkins Diesel at 250,000 kms as personal transportation, rusting but still running. It replaced my 1986 Volvo 740 Turbo Diesel Wagon at 325,00 kms that made an untimely demise but I still have two spare Volvo Diesel engines that I rebuilt as spares in the garage to put into service some time ! Definately not eco-clean but cheap to run and rebuild.

Al in Dundas

1 - 20 of 26 Posts