Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as to not hijack another thread, I started this one, because the other one got me wondering.......(Not a good thing!)

Since my diesel truck and tractor are old, can someone tell me...

What happens if you run out of DEF and decide to go without it? Would it be sort of like removing a catalytic converter, and only show up at inspection time? Or will some silly little ole computer shut the machine down?

Might need some computer geek work arounds, if the latter is the case. :hide:

Reactions: Levi

·
Super Moderator
5,198 Posts
Hmmm... I found this in a FAQ elsewhere:

What will happen if my truck runs out of Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF)?

The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency requires vehicle manufacturers to put measures in place to ensure that vehicles cannot run without Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF). Before a truck's DEF tank runs empty the driver is given a series of alerts on their dashboard displays (much the same way as if they were running low on diesel). Generally speaking, when the DEF tank level drops below 10% an amber warning lamp will come on, at 5% this lamp starts flashing and below 2.5% a solid amber warning light is displayed.

If the truck is allowed to run out of DEF the engine's power is reduced, a solid red warning will be displayed and the vehicle speed will be limited to 5 mph until the DEF tank is refilled.

·
Administrator
18,295 Posts
On my new (unmodified) truck, if you ignore the low DEF warnings the truck will go into limp mode and only go 5mph till the tank is refilled.

Reactions: farmmike

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
On my new (unmodified) truck, if you ignore the low DEF warnings the truck will go into limp mode and only go 5mph till the tank is refilled.
Meh, fill it with water and see what happens :lol:

Reactions: Levi and farmgirl19

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to kiss both my F-250 and my 1050 today, and hope they run forever!!

However, just as "smart phones" can be unlocked, there has got to be a "bypass the system" in the works for the DEF stuff.

Thanks for the info!

Reactions: grnspot110 and Levi

·
Registered
4,436 Posts

However, just as "smart phones" can be unlocked, there has got to be a "bypass the system" in the works for the DEF stuff.

Thanks for the info!
Read post no. 4, follow the instructions, and see what happens!!!

This does raise a question, though. What happens when you deere runs out of this stuff? What is it and what does it do, anyway?

·
Registered
5,644 Posts
Read post no. 4, follow the instructions, and see what happens!!!

This does raise a question, though. What happens when you deere runs out of this stuff? What is it and what does it do, anyway?
DEF is usually an urea compound designed to reduce emissions. The longer answer is that it's about $15.00 for 2.5 gallons and causes thousands of dollars in additional engine design cost but makes the EPA happy.

A happy EPA isn't high on my list of priorities but that's what we all live with right now.

Treefarmer

·
Super Moderator
5,198 Posts

They actually have sensors that test what is in the tank. By looking for a specific chemical composition, the senors can tell if you try to substitute with water (or anything else) and will leave you in limp mode.

Reactions: eyeboltman

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
They actually have sensors that test what is in the tank. By looking for a specific chemical composition, the senors can tell if you try to substitute with water (or anything else) and will leave you in limp mode.
Fill some little vials with the stuff, find the sensors and attach the vials over the sensors!

·
Super Moderator
5,198 Posts
Fill some little vials with the stuff, find the sensors and attach the vials over the sensors!
That seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through just to avoid spending $15 every 8,000-10,000 miles.

I spend more than that on windshield washer fluid. :laugh:

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
That seems like an awful lot of trouble to go through just to avoid spending $15 every 8,000-10,000 miles.

I spend more than that on windshield washer fluid. :laugh:
Yeah, but then you can be emissions crap free forever:laugh:

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
No one has made a "test sensor" yet? Like the old test pipe for the exhaust.

·
Administrator
18,295 Posts
The DEF is only half the of the system, the other half is the DPF or Diesel Particulate Filter. Yes there are "delete" kits available but very costly. With the potential for warranty issues, I'll be leaving mine system in place.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts

Thanks for the info!
Yeah FG,

There are those who make them, at least for autos/trucks. They don't see any emmisions after removal like the old diesel rigs, but since most of the sulfer is out anyway, there isn't much to be had. Silly if you ask me.As I said recently, we could make cars burn the pollution China makes and it would not matter. EPA Extra poor advances. Or so they think they are advances.Nobody else does.:bash::eek:hmy:

Saw in the paper today lots of small airports closing. Hope your's doesn't!!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
My wifes Audi alerts you when you have approx. 600 miles left on the remaining fluid. The vehicle will not crank again if you exceed the 600 miles without refilling the fluid

·
Registered
754 Posts
DEF is usually an urea compound designed to reduce emissions. The longer answer is that it's about $15.00 for 2.5 gallons and causes thousands of dollars in additional engine design cost but makes the EPA happy.

A happy EPA isn't high on my list of priorities but that's what we all live with right now.

Treefarmer
Wow! That's expensive! Son pays $9.99/ 2-1/2 gallons, if he bought bulk at the truck stop he buys fuel at it would be a little cheaper. His '14 RAM holds a bit over five gallons. He tops the DEF tank up about once a month.

Thing I think is odd, his truck has over 5500 miles and he has never had a regen yet! Some guys on TDR have over 6000-7000 miles with no regen.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,269 Posts
I've heard some people do this with no ill effects. This is exactly why I wasn't going to buy diesel when I was looking for a truck. The EPA is not a group of people I want to satisfy. If they did away with them I'd be a happy camper. But that's another story for another thread. With all we had to do in the winter for our truck when my wife and I were driving, I don't want to go through that in a pickup, especially if it's my main driver. Fuel gelling is not something I want to mess with in a daily driver. Getting bad fuel isn't either. Keeping way to many fuel filters on hand isn't either especially when it become mote point and you end up not having enough of them. I like diesel in big trucks, tractors and trains but that's it. But that's just me. :munch:

·
Registered
396 Posts
Wow! That's expensive! Son pays $9.99/ 2-1/2 gallons, if he bought bulk at the truck stop he buys fuel at it would be a little cheaper. His '14 RAM holds a bit over five gallons. He tops the DEF tank up about once a month.

Thing I think is odd, his truck has over 5500 miles and he has never had a regen yet! Some guys on TDR have over 6000-7000 miles with no regen.
It may not have gone thru an active regen but I am sure there have been a few passive regens that have happened.

Reactions: Yamaguy
1 - 20 of 28 Posts