Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I broke out the sprayer, Demco 60 gal, this weekend. Thought I would post up some pics. As you know I can not leave well enough alone, nothing is ever perfect out of the box. The first thing I did was relocate the suction filter to the side of the unit. It was up front in the middle, completely a PITA. I also added a couple of 3 way valves for cleaning and emptying the tank without having to run the pump. I also cleaned up the plumbing spaghetti which included a new bracket. I added quick disconnects to the pump connections. This allows me to remove the sprayer from the tractor and attach a garden hose to flush and clean it without the pump. Clean-up is fast and easy. Lastly, it has it's own dolly for storage.

Attachments

Reactions: chex313

·
Administrator
21,040 Posts
Nice job as usual Randy:good2:

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Fantastic clean up!

So here's what I don't understand about sprayers like this. You have a pump on the PTO, so it must be able to move some fluid. If the flow is restricted, I would think the pressure would go through the roof. So how do you hand the on/off and the restrictive flow through the orifices of the sprayer when the PTO is wanting to give you 20 HP of pump ability?
I can see a small DC motor being "held back" by flow restriction, but not a PTO pump based system.

And what's the tank capacity, and how much area can that cover / how fast can you go when spraying?

Just curious and uneducated here....

Pete

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fantastic clean up!

So here's what I don't understand about sprayers like this. You have a pump on the PTO, so it must be able to move some fluid. If the flow is restricted, I would think the pressure would go through the roof. So how do you hand the on/off and the restrictive flow through the orifices of the sprayer when the PTO is wanting to give you 20 HP of pump ability?
I can see a small DC motor being "held back" by flow restriction, but not a PTO pump based system.
Pete, that is the beauty of a PTO system is the versitility. The PTO system has a tank return bypass that is also used as agitation. It also helps control the pressure. This system also allows for nozzle size changes and not max out the system.

And what's the tank capacity, and how much area can that cover / how fast can you go when spraying?
The tank is a 60gal capacity with four nozzles on a 12 foot boom. The other questions all depend on the type of coverage you want to achieve. For example, I use my sprayer for lawn weed control. I have applied 4 to 5 (60gal) loads to get coverage depending on speed and nozzle size. The full application takes about 3 hours, the filling is what take a lot of the time. I get great results with Trimec. :good2:

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Nice job Randy and it's nice to see I'm not the only one who can't leave well enough alone when it comes to tweaking sprayers.

I like your torque arm for the pump, and I did something similar as the traditional bracket and chains sucks. Your version is simpler than mine.

I was going to test my latest mods out when my Hypro pump seized over the winter. I don't have the tools to tear it apart, so I've got a new one on order.

Once I test it out, I'll post my latest mods to my "BORG sprayer" as I call it.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like your torque arm for the pump, and I did something similar as the traditional bracket and chains sucks. Your version is simpler than mine.
I am glad you didn't notice it needs paint, probably powder. On the list of things to do. I was having a hard time to get the chain to work out. It did not want to play nice with the 3pt mechanism. This just seemed simple.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Randy your sprayer is a thing of beauty form and function... very impressed with the plumbing and over-all look of the sprayer, beautiful job.:good2:

Like your Landpride tiller too. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
I am glad you didn't notice it needs paint, probably powder. On the list of things to do. I was having a hard time to get the chain to work out. It did not want to play nice with the 3pt mechanism. This just seemed simple.
That was my reason for abandoning the chains as there is too much 3PH junk in the way. I figure you'll get around to painting the restraint at your convenience.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well, I broke out the sprayer, Demco 60 gal, this weekend. Thought I would post up some pics. As you know I can not leave well enough alone, nothing is ever perfect out of the box. The first thing I did was relocate the suction filter to the side of the unit. It was up front in the middle, completely a PITA. I also added a couple of 3 way valves for cleaning and emptying the tank without having to run the pump. I also cleaned up the plumbing spaghetti which included a new bracket. I added quick disconnects to the pump connections. This allows me to remove the sprayer from the tractor and attach a garden hose to flush and clean it without the pump. Clean-up is fast and easy. Lastly, it has it's own dolly for storage.
I've been looking for a different way to keep my sprayer pump from rotating, instead of using the small chain attached to the bottom of the pump. I like the dog (if that is a correct term) you used for your pump! Do you know of other ways that don’t require the use of a chain, I tried searching, but I must not be using the proper terminology? Tractor Supply shows a pump with a torque arm, but doesn’t show what the chains attach to on the tractor?
You always have great ideas, provide photos and a nicely worded write up!

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
Here is how I got around the rotating pump problem with a bracket bolted to the pump that covers the drawbar on three sides. The removable pin is there just in case Bad Juju were to happen.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Here is how I got around the rotating pump problem with a bracket bolted to the pump that covers the drawbar on three sides. The removable pin is there just in case Bad Juju were to happen.

Thanks, for the photo, it took me awhile, but I figured something out without having to unhook chains.

·
Premium Member
9,065 Posts
I like it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts