Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone here ever had a demo unit from a dealer and returned it because it wasn't what they expected? I has my local dealer bring me a 1023e Saturday morning and i put 5 hours on it. Its just not big enough but that's all i can afford right now. I told him that i didn't think it was going to be big enough and if they would rent me one for a weekend,To which he replied that he would get me a demonstrator. now i feel as if i "owe them something because im not going to buy it" what do y'all think? I cant afford anything bigger.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have very sandy soil and running a box blade it just sinks,even worse when i turn. The engine shuts off when i hit a bump and my bottom comes off the seat, i know its designed to do that but I'd have to crawl along and then it wont pull the blade.
I hit a 1/2" cedar stump and it stopped the tractor so hard i almost fell off. Good thing i had the seat belt on! Not big enough!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I new to this tractor thing, but I'm not new to business. I wouldn't have any guilt taking it back if that was the deal. That's the risk they take and if they wanted paid for the 'loaner' they would have charged you a non-refundable deposit.

Just promise them your future business when you can afford a larger one and tell them to keep you in mind if they get a trade you may be interested in your price-point.

·
Premium Member
8,856 Posts
Has anyone here ever had a demo unit from a dealer and returned it because it wasn't what they expected? I has my local dealer bring me a 1023e Saturday morning and i put 5 hours on it. Its just not big enough but that's all i can afford right now. I told him that i didn't think it was going to be big enough and if they would rent me one for a weekend,To which he replied that he would get me a demonstrator. now i feel as if i "owe them something because im not going to buy it" whay do y'all think? I cant afford anything bigger.
While different dealers have different policies with their DEMO Units, usually they are pretty clear about what they expect as far as limits of use, number of hours, etc. When a dealer drops off a piece of equipment, they expect you to reasonably use it to see if you like it and if the machine fits your needs. A Demo unit is an important sales tool to help dealers provide the customers with actual hands on experience and to see if the machine they are considering really fits their application and needs.

Often, as in your case, the customer finds out they need something else other than the machine they started with during the demo process. Can you imagine the remorse of not having tried the demo unit and stepping forward with the purchase only to find out after you have bought it and had it delivered that the machine was in fact "not big enough" for you? This is precisely what the DEMO program helps alleviate.

Openly share your concerns with the dealer about how you want to be "Fair" about this. Just make sure the dealer understands you are at your financial limits at either the purchase price or payment amount for the 1 series which they had you demo. If I were you, I would clearly tell them that you aren't comfortable with the costs of a larger unit right now and explain the reasons why, within reason (you don't need to dive into details of your personal financial situation, but being honest about your limits is crucial in my opinion.). Every detail you can share about how you plan on using the tractor going forward, the better off you are likely to be in getting the right implements and options to maximize your ownership of the tractor.

Depending upon the situation, the dealer has some tools at their disposal for helping with the "costs" whether it is in extending the loan term or helping you find a used piece of equipment which meets your needs. A real sales professional helps the client / customer make sure that the item they are purchasing is the best one to meet all of the customers needs within the limits of budget, storage space, actual machine needs and many other constraints.

On one other point, a DEMO tractor and a "rental tractor" are two entirely different approaches and transactions. If you really think that your needs could be met with an occasional rental of a piece of equipment, then maybe that is the approach you should consider. Just make sure you are clear with the dealer on this issue up front. But I have not seen too many dealers who are in the "rental business" and instead, there are equipment rental firms from locally owned small outfits to large nationwide companies with vast inventories.

There are different issues from a legal standpoint with "rental" equipment as there are liability issues, use limits tied to machine hours and even issues such as the equipment is being used on a third parties property (a customer of the person who is renting the equipment) which make the insurance coverage and liability issues more involved and the need to provide "subjugation" claims if something is damaged on the property, etc.

Just be sure that the dealer understands EXACTLY where your limit is for the purchase and then you can be sure that both you and the dealer should be "on the same page". It never hurts to send such a message in writing so you have it for future reference.

I went into a BMW Motorcycle Dealership recently to look at new Motorcycles. The day I went in right after they opened, was a very nice weather day. The dealer asked if I wanted to ride the new motorcycle (Demo Unit). I said yes and I had my riding gear in the car with me. I asked the dealer where they would prefer I limit my test ride and his response was "We close at 6 pm. As long as you have the bike back here by 5:45, you can take it anywhere you like. Ride it to really get a feel for it to see if you like it. See you when you get back".

I was gone about 55 minutes and returned. Normally, I would have ridden it for a few miles, but in this case, I ended up putting about 40 miles on the bike after jumping on the highway and riding around town. It certainly gave me a real feel for the bike and when I buy one, it will most likely be from this dealer if we can reach the agreeable terms. Many dealers avoid test rides like a plague. This dealer obviously has a different approach and I appreciated the ability to really try the bike to see if I liked it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Their were NO TERMS as to the demo. I visited the dealer three weeks ago and its been phone conversations since.They dropped it off Saturday morning and that was it.The man wasn't even there 5 minutes, didn't even ask if i knew anything about it! I had to set up the blade as all the adjustments were loose, The unit was filthy and i had to clean the seat off to even sit on it.

·
Administrator
18,003 Posts
Does the dealer have any used units that are larger?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Nothing used, I really wanted the 0 percent financing, so used
is not an option.
Don't get hung up on the 0% financing. If a used tractor that is suitable shows up and the financing is reasonable you should consider what you can accomplish with the tractor and whether the monthly interest is worth more than the ability to get to work now. Or you can wait (tractorless) until you can afford a new 0% tractor.

·
Administrator
18,003 Posts
Don't get hung up on the 0% financing. If a used tractor that is suitable shows up and the financing is reasonable you should consider what you can accomplish with the tractor and whether the monthly interest is worth more than the ability to get to work now. Or you can wait (tractorless) until you can afford a new 0% tractor.
Exactly right. Your still paying for 0% somehow, just like "free" shipping.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have very sandy soil and running a box blade it just sinks,even worse when i turn. The engine shuts off when i hit a bump and my bottom comes off the seat, i know its designed to do that but I'd have to crawl along and then it wont pull the blade.
I hit a 1/2" cedar stump and it stopped the tractor so hard i almost fell off. Good thing i had the seat belt on! Not big enough!
I wouldn't feel any obligation to the dealer if that was the understood intent "to try one" You did and now you're sure it isn't what you expected.
None of the compact tractors are bulldozers.
Ground engaging equipment takes a lot of traction and a little thought as to how you can accomplish your goal within the limits of your equipment.
I'd gladly reply to the dealer, Find me a nice used tractor for $xxxx and be patient. If he's a dealer that moves equipment, he knows clients that trade on a regular basis, what they have and when they are due to trade.
And if it helps, it's never big enough and somebody always has a bigger one. :lol:

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I wouldn't feel any obligation to the dealer if that was the understood intent "to try one" You did and now you're sure it isn't what you expected.
None of the compact tractors are bulldozers.
Ground engaging equipment takes a lot of traction and a little thought as to how you can accomplish your goal within the limits of your equipment.
I'd gladly reply to the dealer, Find me a nice used tractor for $xxxx and be patient. If he's a dealer that moves equipment, he knows clients that trade on a regular basis, what they have and when they are due to trade.
And if it helps, it's never big enough and somebody always has a bigger one. :lol:

True statement here, and whenever you are confident you have found the size that will fit your needs sure enough someone will come along and say your basically wrong and need to buy a bigger machine.

·
Premium Member
14,747 Posts
You're saying the tractor is to small. I've had a sub comp JD for the past 11 years. Yes they are small, at times may take 3 or 4 maybe 6 passes to do what a larger tractor could do in one pass. Having a BH or FEL at times at may not lift a large stone (rock) or but has always done what I've tried to do.

Knowing a 1023 has the 3 pt select ,where when you drop the 3pt or rear blade to the ground unless the lever is raised back up a little the blade will continue to try to dig deeper .

The 1025r has Position control meaning , you lower the blade to the ground and if you lower the lever just a little the blade will only go just a little deeper.
Hope this makes sense, also no matter what size tractor you have I'm thinking if the blade is angled the outer part of blade will dig in deeper. ...
Plus type tires depending if it had turfs or R4 , what RPM you was running, in L or H Range and was tractor in 4wd or not in 4wd.

Maybe you are expecting way to much for this size tractor. Also depending on angle rear blade it will dig in deeper or none at all.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,266 Posts
You're saying the tractor is to small. I've had a sub comp JD for the past 11 years. Yes they are small, at times may take 3 or 4 maybe 6 passes to do what a larger tractor could do in one pass. Having a BH or FEL at times at may not lift a large stone (rock) or but has always done what I've tried to do.

Knowing a 1023 has the 3 pt select ,where when you drop the 3pt or rear blade to the ground unless the lever is raised back up a little the blade will continue to try to dig deeper .

The 1025r has Position control meaning , you lower the blade to the ground and if you lower the lever just a little the blade will only go just a little deeper.
Hope this makes sense, also no matter what size tractor you have I'm thinking if the blade is angled the outer part of blade will dig in deeper. ...

Maybe you are expecting way to much for this size tractor. Also depending on angle rear blade it will dig in deeper or none at all.
What I was thinking was said here by etcallhome. Sounds like the dealer thought you knew all about the tractor so didn't say what all the controls do. If he wants to sell you a tractor he should answer all your questions and work with you. Not just drop off a tractor and leave. If you do know all about the tractor then forget what I just said. Bottom line is do not buy a tractor that doesn't fit your needs.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
I'd have no worries returning it, they never gave you limits/restrictions, and you put minimal hours on the machine anyway.

When we were shopping skidsteers for the farm, dad and I were between NH, JD, Bobcat and Cat.
JD dealer 30 miles away, Bobcat and CAT 60, and NH 160, so Deere was the preference, plus the whole farm is green.
Gave all the dealers the exact min specs we were looking for, said shoot us a model and price.

CAT priced themselves out of the game.
Bobcat was ok, but Dad didn't like the controls when playing in their lot.
I had some experience in NH units from work, and really liked them, but Dad never had a chance to get seat time.
JD gave us a "demo" for a week, and I happen to be home the last weekend to play also. It was nice, but not up to the NH I had used in the past.
Dad liked it though, and was willing to make a deal, if they could cut a bit off the top.
When the salesman came back Monday to pick it up he asked how we liked it.
Said it would fill our needs if we could come to a deal.
Salesman started to him and haw, then came out with "about that, they price I quoted didn't include all the options on this one"
Some of those "options" were the hi-flow hydros and larger wheels. Things we specifically asked for in our quote, and they wanted to add about $3500.
Told them to load it up and take it, we weren't interested...
Bought a NH the next week.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
This is something I initially struggled with on the rear blade I use for snow. The key is to adjust the top-link so the boom is level front-to-back and adjust the 3PH side link so the blade is level side-to-side. When both are level you can angle the blade left or right and both corners will be the same distance from the ground.

·
Super Moderator
8,053 Posts
Exactly right. Your still paying for 0% somehow, just like "free" shipping.
Exactly right. When I purchased a brand new 3320 TLB the salesman thought I was going to use the JD 0% finance offer. And that was after he gave me his rock bottom price which represented about a 15% discount off of list. I managed to get an additional ~$1000 price reduction when I told him I was going to pay cash. The 0% is a finance rate "buy-down" that both JD and the dealer participate in.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Good advice

While different dealers have different policies with their DEMO Units, usually they are pretty clear about what they expect as far as limits of use, number of hours, etc. When a dealer drops off a piece of equipment, they expect you to reasonably use it to see if you like it and if the machine fits your needs. A Demo unit is an important sales tool to help dealers provide the customers with actual hands on experience and to see if the machine they are considering really fits their application and needs.

Often, as in your case, the customer finds out they need something else other than the machine they started with during the demo process. Can you imagine the remorse of not having tried the demo unit and stepping forward with the purchase only to find out after you have bought it and had it delivered that the machine was in fact "not big enough" for you? This is precisely what the DEMO program helps alleviate.

Openly share your concerns with the dealer about how you want to be "Fair" about this. Just make sure the dealer understands you are at your financial limits at either the purchase price or payment amount for the 1 series which they had you demo. If I were you, I would clearly tell them that you aren't comfortable with the costs of a larger unit right now and explain the reasons why, within reason (you don't need to dive into details of your personal financial situation, but being honest about your limits is crucial in my opinion.). Every detail you can share about how you plan on using the tractor going forward, the better off you are likely to be in getting the right implements and options to maximize your ownership of the tractor.

Depending upon the situation, the dealer has some tools at their disposal for helping with the "costs" whether it is in extending the loan term or helping you find a used piece of equipment which meets your needs. A real sales professional helps the client / customer make sure that the item they are purchasing is the best one to meet all of the customers needs within the limits of budget, storage space, actual machine needs and many other constraints.

On one other point, a DEMO tractor and a "rental tractor" are two entirely different approaches and transactions. If you really think that your needs could be met with an occasional rental of a piece of equipment, then maybe that is the approach you should consider. Just make sure you are clear with the dealer on this issue up front. But I have not seen too many dealers who are in the "rental business" and instead, there are equipment rental firms from locally owned small outfits to large nationwide companies with vast inventories.

There are different issues from a legal standpoint with "rental" equipment as there are liability issues, use limits tied to machine hours and even issues such as the equipment is being used on a third parties property (a customer of the person who is renting the equipment) which make the insurance coverage and liability issues more involved and the need to provide "subjugation" claims if something is damaged on the property, etc.

Just be sure that the dealer understands EXACTLY where your limit is for the purchase and then you can be sure that both you and the dealer should be "on the same page". It never hurts to send such a message in writing so you have it for future reference.

I went into a BMW Motorcycle Dealership recently to look at new Motorcycles. The day I went in right after they opened, was a very nice weather day. The dealer asked if I wanted to ride the new motorcycle (Demo Unit). I said yes and I had my riding gear in the car with me. I asked the dealer where they would prefer I limit my test ride and his response was "We close at 6 pm. As long as you have the bike back here by 5:45, you can take it anywhere you like. Ride it to really get a feel for it to see if you like it. See you when you get back".

I was gone about 55 minutes and returned. Normally, I would have ridden it for a few miles, but in this case, I ended up putting about 40 miles on the bike after jumping on the highway and riding around town. It certainly gave me a real feel for the bike and when I buy one, it will most likely be from this dealer if we can reach the agreeable terms. Many dealers avoid test rides like a plague. This dealer obviously has a different approach and I appreciated the ability to really try the bike to see if I liked it.
As usual, very good advice from Sulleybear. I agree that a good dealer will help you find the right machine to fit your needs and pocketbook. It's not in their interest to put you in the wrong machine or have to take one back because you couldn't make payments.

I'm not sure about homeowner lines but most of the ag dealers do rent/lease equipment. I asked a mechanic not long ago about where all the combines that were on the lot had gone because I was surprised at that many sales given the current farm economy. He said, "Most of them are out on loan/rental because of equipment breakdown or some other short term need. They'll be back on the lot as soon as we can get them picked up."

It's a long way from a combine to a SCUT but the principle is the same. Help the customer get the right equipment at a price they can afford and you have a long term customer. Stick them with something that doesn't work or they really can't pay for and you have someone who will tell everyone in the area what a jerk the company is. Long term dealers know they can't make all the profit off one sale to one customer and work to build a positive relationship with long term potential customers. Be upfront with them and thank them profusely for letting you use the equipment. If they said it was a demo, you don't owe anything but if you want to offer to pay for a few hours use so you feel better, that's ok. They saved you thousands of dollars so if you give a little back, that's not a bad thing. Next time you walk through the door they will still want to help you.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Has anyone here ever had a demo unit from a dealer and returned it because it wasn't what they expected? I has my local dealer bring me a 1023e Saturday morning and i put 5 hours on it. Its just not big enough but that's all i can afford right now. I told him that i didn't think it was going to be big enough and if they would rent me one for a weekend,To which he replied that he would get me a demonstrator. now i feel as if i "owe them something because im not going to buy it" what do y'all think? I cant afford anything bigger.
I am unsure what your experience with tractors are, but even an experienced tractor user can stall any tractor with a box blade. Using a box blade takes a lot of seat time to get acquainted with. Too deep you dig a lot of soil and will stall the tractor. Not deep enough or not enough weight on the BB you just run across the ground and do not accomplish anything. I agree that the dealer should help you find what you are looking for but don't under estimate the working power of these small tractors. Maybe post here what you are trying to do and we can help you decide. We love spending other peoples :gizmo:. :laugh: With that said, I would not be committed to the dealer, they knew you were trying it out. It was the reason for the demo. Good luck in your choices, as there are many.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,512 Posts
That's a lot of hours, was that 5 RPM hours?
No matter how big your tractor is there will be times it won't be big enough.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts