Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed some scratching on the inside of the boom from my bucket. The photo below shows how I normally store the backhoe when it's on the tractor.

758219


As the bucket cylinder bleeds down, the teeth on the backhoe swing down and scratch the paint on the inside of the boom. This has happened since I added the quick change feature from BXpanded, but I don't think it happened right away. The tips of the teeth may have become distorted from hitting rocks. It was always very close. Here's a shot of the scratches:

758220


My first attempt at fixing this problem was to reverse the backhoe teeth. It appeared to me that this might solve the problem. This was not as simple as I thought it would be. The teeth bolts were a little corroded and it took the impact wrench on "high" to get them off. When I replaced them, I brushed JD Anti-Seize on the threads.

This is how the teeth were originally installed on my bucket:

758221


In the 260 backhoe manual, I found a photo showing them this way. I also found a drawing that seemed to show them the opposite way, as shown in the "AFTER" photo below:

758222


With this change, the tips of the teeth were no longer hitting the boom inside surface. However, I now had a new scratch where the body of the teeth and nut on the teeth were just barely rubbing. The new scratch:

758223


It was easy to see where to begin grinding. Only 1 tooth was making contact when I started:

758224


I had a new cordless Dremel tool that I bought earlier this year when my 40-year-old corded model finally gave up after a life of hard use. If you don't own a cordless Dremel tool, you should. I have a more aggressive grinder but the Dremel had the right amount of finesse. I ground the tooth wherever green was showing, then curled the bucket with the dipperstick all the way back, re-marked the tooth with green paint, then ground some more. Eventually this tooth was clean but the other tooth started showing green. I had to do some grinding on the nut and bolt. Eventually, there was clearance and no more scratching. I continued to do some more grinding. I didn't want the layer of new paint or temperature changes to put me back in an interference situation. After all the grinding, I sanded the ground areas with fine sandpaper to smooth everything and make sure there were no sharp edges.

When I was done, the teeth looked like this:

758225


My dentist would be proud of me. Now all I have to do is re-paint these teeth and why not the entire bucket while I'm at it? And then re-paint the boom when a little time assures me I've solved this problem permanently.

As I was reviewing this whole post before publishing it, I noticed the scratch down the middle of the boom. It looks like I need to do some grinding on my ripper claw as well.

Keane
 
  • Like
Reactions: theduke

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
Joined
·
38,708 Posts
Do you think the BXpanded moved the bucket forward and caused the issue?
Edit: After a re-read I guess I missed this ↓↓↓
"This has happened since I added the quick change feature from BXpanded, but I don't think it happened right away. "
 
  • Like
Reactions: keane

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm a retired quality manager, so I didn't claim to know the cause of this problem. I used to conduct significant investigations to understand problems like this one and determine root cause. The only sure thing in conducting an investigation like this is that the root cause is not where everybody assigned "fault" when the problem was discovered. Small companies that design aftermarket products for Deere equipment don't get access to Deere's CAD files and drawings. They are lucky to get access to one unit and take their measurements off of it. Nobody knows what end of the tolerance spectrum that particular unit is on. It is further complicated by many different suppliers contributing to Deere's products. For example, the bucket is probably made by somebody else. If it's a quarter inch too long, Deere won't even notice it. But it could certainly affect BXpanded's product if they measured a shorter one when designing their product. The bucket manufacturer probably buys the teeth somewhere else. They might not notice small changes in the teeth. And so on. I noticed that the ends of my teeth had been deformed from use. There's another factor to consider.

We save a lot of money and get a lot of value with these aftermarket products. If we bought them from Deere, we'd pay a lot more because they'd have to ensure compatibility of everything. So we end up with little problems like this one and the one where the front loader breaks the glass on the aftermarket cab.
 
  • Like
Reactions: kylew and Kennyd
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top