Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to build a workbench for my garage and I am trying to decide how deep I want to make top. I plan to have some pegboard on the wall behind the bench to hang tools on. Finished table top somewhere between 30" and 34" in height. I am toying with about 30-32" deep table top. What have you built or recommend?

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I have the room,, so one workbench that I use is 5X5 feet.
it sets against a wall, and has TWO giant toolboxes placed at the back.

With the toolboxes on the workbench, I end up with about 3X5 of work area,,,
having the toolboxes on the workbench, I am not chasing tools,,, EVER!!

The BIG benefit of this arrangement,, access to the toolboxes requires the workbench be cleared off.
VERY seldom the workbench has "stuff" left sitting on it.
If there are cans of WD40 and starting fluid there,, they get knocked over when the toolbox drawers are opened,,,

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts
Don't go too deep.
I made that mistake. You can't put anything near the back as you can't reach the dang stuff! :laugh:
Unless you don't have it up against the wall.
The rule I use... need to reach all the way to the back of the bench while sitting on a chair or stool at the bench.

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,679 Posts
The rule I use... need to reach all the way to the back of the bench while sitting on a chair or stool at the bench.
^This except the sitting part, I stand mostly at my bench.

When I built mine, I stood at a wall,reached out to where I felt comfortable. Then I measured from my belt buckle to the wall, that is the depth of my bench.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,396 Posts
^This except the sitting part, I stand mostly at my bench.

When I built mine, I stood at a wall,reached out to where I felt comfortable. Then I measured from my belt buckle to the wall, that is the depth of my bench.
My stomach is too big to use that measurement. :lol:

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Agree with above, your reach should determine the working width of the bench, which is generally around 32-36".
I say working width as some utilize a portion of the bench for storage, as stated above, for tool boxes or other misc items.
If that's the case then add in appropriate amount of space for those items.

Also keep in mind the available space in the shop/garage.

If a 48" would be ideal, but would no longer allow you to park your tractor/car/utv etc in the garage, then is it really ideal? :unknown:

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,249 Posts
What? 1 foot? :mocking:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the measurements of my working space.

Two stationary workbenches against a wall. One 2' wide X 6'2" long. One 2' wide X 9' long.

Two rolling work benches. One, 30" wide X 6' long. One, 4' wide X 8' long.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Pardon my lack of Microsoft Paint skills, but I sketched a quick diagram of how all of my workbenches are laid out. One thing to consider is whether or not you plan to hang anything on the wall behind the bench that you need to reach, deeper bench top means lower hanging height reach.

I'm 6' tall with a 31" reach arms stretched directly forward. My bench tops are 30" in depth and a height of 36" off the floor, this allows me to utilize 1 4x8" sheet of peg or slat board behind the bench giving the overall workstation a height of 7' from the floor. My arms are then approximately 24" above the working surface which means that if I have to hang something at the full height it will be approximately 38" from my shoulder which keeps any strained reaching to a minimum. This is a comfortable lay out for me when standing and also can accommodate the use of a stool.

workbench.png

·
Hey, I want a title too!
3,679 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
I am planning to build a workbench for my garage and I am trying to decide how deep I want to make top. I plan to have some pegboard on the wall behind the bench to hang tools on. Finished table top somewhere between 30" and 34" in height. I am toying with about 30-32" deep table top. What have you built or recommend?
I have a very long bench (16ft total) in my basement and was contemplating how high to make the height. I settled on 33" but thought there are many times I want the workpiece a little closer. So the right height is 33" and the left half is 38" high. 80% of the time I'm working on the left side. I'm 5'11".

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,064 Posts
Excellent ideas and reasons why one went one way or another. I went with 2" x 4" frame on 4" x 4" posts . . . 2' deep and 8' long. One bench per 3/4" sheet of plywood.

Workbench-3.jpg

Workbench-6.jpg

I wanted to be able to reach anything on a shelf on the back wall.

East. Aug-17.jpg

I also made a mobile bench from an old solid back door, ~32" x 78". All work benches are cover with a temper board or a stall mat work surface.

West Aug-17.jpg

·
Registered
231 Posts
Excellent ideas and reasons why one went one way or another. I went with 2" x 4" frame on 4" x 4" posts . . . 2' deep and 8' long. One bench per 3/4" sheet of plywood.

I have basically the same idea 3/4 plywood ripped down the middle. I used 2x4 legs. I have 18' of bench and 8' of pegboard over a section. Also have a 20"x4' mobile bench.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have a very long bench (16ft total) in my basement and was contemplating how high to make the height. I settled on 33" but thought there are many times I want the workpiece a little closer. So the right height is 33" and the left half is 38" high. 80% of the time I'm working on the left side. I'm 5'11".
Thank you for your info about heights and why. Very helpful in making some choices.

·
Registered
619 Posts
And then you gotta start thinking how you are going to support it and a possible second shelf underneath.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Being 6'2", having a fairly long reach, and hating to bend over, I made my workbench from some 2x12's and 1 2x4's that I already had. My bench ended up 31" deep and 36" high.
AND THEN: I went to Lowes and bought the cheapest paneling/luan I could find...about $20 and 1/8 thick...and attached that to the top. I do both mechanical work and wood work on my bench. Knowing me, sooner or later I'll get oil, paint, or something on my bench top and then put something wood on there to be painted...only to be ruined by the existing oil that soaked it! Or, maybe beat om something and put huge dents in my bench top. I can remove a couple of deck screws and flip my top over to a "brand new" top! And the next time I spill something...and there WILL BE a next time...back to Lowes and get 2 new tops! If you bring them the width you need, they'll even cut it for you.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts