I want to start overseeding my lawn and need some advice on dethatching tools. I see implements that are promoted as pine needle rakes, as well as ones that are advertised as dethatchers. They seem very similar. The differences that I have noticed are:
- "Pine needle rakes" are 3 point implements that don't have gauge wheels.
- Some "dethatchers" are 3 point implements that don't have gauge wheels.
- Other "dethatchers" are tow behind implements that have gauge wheels.
- Is there really a difference between pine needle rakes and 3-point dethatchers?
- Are the wheels on the tow behinds just there so that the implement can be towed without engaging the tines?
- Does a dethatching tool need wheels to prevent the tines from digging past the thatch and into the ground?