Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice on a John Deere front dethatcher for my X580 would it mount right on or do I need special mounting bracket?

·
Registered
1,689 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
If you buy new, it'll come with a manual lift mechanism that should fit right on your tractor. I bought a used one that was missing parts of the lift. So I made my own hydraulic lift.

IMG_1141.JPG

I also have a rear 3Ph thatcher. Sometimes I use them together to gather sticks in the spring. The front it is better because you can mow/vacuum in the same pass.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Mount bracket is separate and model specific.Same thatcher different mount.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
I can attest to the build quality of the first system. I bought mine on eBay and assembled it last week. It is very well made and does a great job in the garage. I am a few weeks out from running any lawn equipment on the urf. I will report back after I run it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I bought one of these for raking. Set it deep and put two weights in the boxes and it dethatches like crazy!

Rakes nice widrows (I usually circle the yard and pickup one or two rows) of fresh cut grass and leaves too.

Estate Yard Rake | Edney Dealers

Paid right around $425 for it in JD green. Comes in two boxes and is easy assembly. If you take the two tine mounts off (2 sets of 3 wheels stay attached to them) it stores with a fairly small footprint too.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I know people want to just "do things", especially in the Spring. Dethatching IMHO does more damage than good. It is an excellent way to get weeds seeds especially crabgrass down to the soil and get weeds growing. I have a small chemical application business doing custom fertilizing and herbicide applications and am licensed for such work. I follow the same practices golf courses do an thatching is not one of them and golf courses have the best turf you will find.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I know people want to just "do things", especially in the Spring. Dethatching IMHO does more damage than good. It is an excellent way to get weeds seeds especially crabgrass down to the soil and get weeds growing. I have a small chemical application business doing custom fertilizing and herbicide applications and am licensed for such work. I follow the same practices golf courses do an thatching is not one of them and golf courses have the best turf you will find.
I see you are in Wi. They dethatch Black Wolf and Brown Deer Park I know for sure first hand. They also teach and require dethatching practices in the USGA Turf Management Program. I do agree that Golf Courses have some fantastic turf. I am sure many courses don't run a dethatcher but they are replacing that practice with power raking, variety of aeration techniques, and even some that use blowers/vacs.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I see you are in Wi. They dethatch Black Wolf and Brown Deer Park I know for sure first hand. They also teach and require dethatching practices in the USGA Turf Management Program. I do agree that Golf Courses have some fantastic turf. I am sure many courses don't run a dethatcher but they are replacing that practice with power raking, variety of aeration techniques, and even some that use blowers/vacs.
Verti cutting bentgrass tees and greens is common on golf courses, but I have never seen it done on fairways and roughs. If dethatching is done it should not be done in the spring. Here is a good article on the subject.

Why Dethatching Can Hurt Your Lawn - Chippers Mr Grass Blog

My yard has never been dethatched and I drive at least 100 trips a year over it with a truck and trailer hauling firewood.

Attachments

·
Registered
286 Posts
In with you! I used to use a dethatcher on my lawn at my old house and ferilize once or twice and my grass was always crap. I moved to my new house 4 years ago and have never thatched once. And my lawn has been amazing. Only thing i do is have it fertilzed with natural fertilizer 4 times throughout the year. Last year only 3 times due to all the rain. It wouldnt stop growing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
You only dethatch when needed.Should be done when the ground is dry.Most problems with too much thatch is people wait and mow with to much clippings laying and never properly break down or mulch the lawn when it's to tall and can't break down the clippings and build up begins.It's not a sub for raking in the spring.If your going dethatch do it every other year in the fall before aeration,seed and fertilizer goes down.Most of the time core aeration in the fall will break down excess thatch,but proper mowing practices help.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'm not a fan of de-thatching and fully agree with all those who are also not fans. I own a dethatcher and it's only use is to rough the ground where new seed is going to be planted or where the ground has turned hard. They are absolutely no good on grass that is not fully developed. They just do too much harm. It's spring here and my new lawn was started last year. I've aerated with a slit aerator, fertilized, seeded and rolled. I could watch the water filling the slits instead of washing the seed or fertilizer down the hill into the sewer. And I can also see where my lawn is green with grass wherever it's taken hold while the rest of my neighbors lawns are brown. Must be the Milorganite and starter fertilizer. It sure isn't a de-thatcher.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Not arguing against your advise in your region but I’d have to think this is quite dependent on the region you’re in. It’s pretty tough to make a statement about lawns that applies to all of North America.

Here on the wet north west coast, our lawn is in shade all winter and is currently about 90% moss. About every 4 years I dethatch with a rental machine until it looks like Hiroshima. Within a month we have a decent lawn again and fertilize in the fall when it’s fully recovered. It’s usually pretty good the next couple years but the moss returns and the cycle repeats. Maybe that’s not the same definition of thatch you’re referring to.

No amount of lime or moss killer keeps the moss away significantly longer and I am pretty hesitant to put anything on it since we have a shallow well.

Edit: it took me so long to type this that the “you” was someone several posts back.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
a guy by the name of tractorace09 sells the adapter that mounts on top of the JD dethatcher which hooks into the front QH. It's a very good fit. Aside from it being rattle can painted it's well built.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Not arguing against your advise in your region but I’d have to think this is quite dependent on the region you’re in. It’s pretty tough to make a statement about lawns that applies to all of North America.

Here on the wet north west coast, our lawn is in shade all winter and is currently about 90% moss. About every 4 years I dethatch with a rental machine until it looks like Hiroshima. Within a month we have a decent lawn again and fertilize in the fall when it’s fully recovered. It’s usually pretty good the next couple years but the moss returns and the cycle repeats. Maybe that’s not the same definition of thatch you’re referring to.

No amount of lime or moss killer keeps the moss away significantly longer and I am pretty hesitant to put anything on it since we have a shallow well.

Edit: it took me so long to type this that the “you” was someone several posts back.
Moss is not thatch. Thatch is generally the remnants of cut grass laying on the ground between the blades smothering the soil keeping air from the growing grass. That's the reason for mulching, to eliminate those long blades of grass and produce fine small blades that will eventually become a form of compost helping the grass grow.

Sorry to hear about your moss problem. Gather it up, let it dry, then sell it to your local hobby shops. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Fair enough that’s not the definition of thatch, I kind of suspected as much. Not sure what the correct term is then, power raking maybe. Either way, will look like a war zone for a couple weeks but in a month would never know there was moss or it was power raked.

Moss isn’t really a problem as much as a fact here. Half an acre of lawn produces a huge amount of it. Hopefully we get a week of dry weather and I might be able to burn it afterward.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts