Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if JD offers a 3 pt. hitch mountable dethatcher? I have one designed for a 455. It mounts to the front of the tractor. It seems as I have seen one with a few modifications and it will go on the Cat 1 hitch of a 1025r. Thanks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have been looking for one as well, so far I have not been able to find one by JD (I have a 1026r). I did come across one made by CMP Attachments in MN. The 50" lists for $259.00 & the 60" lists for $269.00.

Has anyone had any experience with this company?

Website link
CMP 3-Point Dethatcher

Attachments

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
Not familar with that company but their dethatcher looks good. Wonder if it's quick hitch compatible? :unknown:

Then again, with an item that light, it might not make much difference. But I would hate to have to remove the iMatch to use the dethatcher. :think:

·
Registered
167 Posts
It doesnt appear to be quick hitch compatible. In order to get the top link hooked iy needs to be offset forward so the hook can come straight up from the bottom

Sent from the great white of West Michigan

·
Registered
167 Posts
It doesnt appear to be quick hitch compatible. In order to get the top link hooked iy needs to be offset forward so the hook can come straight up from the bottom

Sent from the great white of West Michigan
Just went on their website, looks like they have revised it to be quick hitch compatible.

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
You still have to go back and rake everything that it pulls up, correct?

I've been thinking of using a lawn rake (7') set at an angle with light pressure to pull up the thatch, leaves, BS and leave it in windrows so I can come back with the loader and pick it up. Just not sure how much tearing up the rake will do (although I plan on totally reseeding anyway, so maybe it doesn't matter.)

·
Registered
947 Posts
I have been looking for one as well, so far I have not been able to find one by JD (I have a 1026r). I did come across one made by CMP Attachments in MN. The 50" lists for $259.00 & the 60" lists for $269.00.

Has anyone had any experience with this company?

Website link
CMP 3-Point Dethatcher
I bought the 60" back in March but still in the box as the ground and lawn are still not in a condition to use a dethatcher. The ordering went smooth as silk, ordered on Tues, shipped on Weds and arrive on Friday. I am looking forward to working with it but the outlook is rain until the weekend. I paid $270 with "free UPS shipping" which in a sense I can feel good about versus spending $240 with $30 shipping...:empathy3: I do intend on doing a product review once things dry out.

·
Registered
947 Posts
You still have to go back and rake everything that it pulls up, correct?
I think most go back and "mow/vacuum" the thatch. This is what is advantageous of those dethatchers mounted on the front as it can be cleaned up in the same pass.

I hope that make sense.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have the 50" CMP. Works good. Light enough to carry, but seems to pull up the thatch pretty good. It's a good fit for GTs with 3PH, which is what I use. Gathered a ton of thatch off my property. It will gather sticks OK too. Debris comes off the tines mostly by just lifting, very little effort. For the price, it's a good compromise. But if you can afford it also look at ETA's pine rakes. About twice the price, but heavier and closer spaced tines.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Just bought one and took delivery of it... it's NOT truly JD QH compatible - there is not enough height between the 3PH frame to pick it up with the QH without removing the top link tube and lifting it onto the QH manually as it needs to rotate forward to clear the thick QH metal lower links. Not a big deal since it's a very light attachment, but would have preferred a truly QH compatible attachment from the seat of the tractor. I assumed that it was a legit QH compatible attachment due to the redesigned top link tube, but didn't actually ask the manufacturer, so a fail on my part! It's nowhere near as heavily built as I expected, but that doesn't mean it won't work well or last, time will tell... plus, it's a dethatcher, not a box blade. :)

If I knew about the lack of true QH compatibility and the fact that it weighs 42lbs, I may have went with the EA pine straw rake instead (weighs 92lbs), but we'll see how it works out. If it's too light, I'll figure out a way to add some weight. Purchasers have left quite a bit of positive feedback about it so I have high hopes for it's performance, soooooooooooooo we'll see how it performs... I will possibly video it and take pictures when I get a chance to mow the lawn short and dethatch.

IMG_6538.jpg IMG_6539.jpg IMG_6540.jpg IMG_6541.jpg IMG_6542.jpg IMG_6543.jpg

Reactions: FredHickory

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
I've also been looking at this model and others. Wish there was a front mount for the 1-Series so I could dethatch and mow all at the same time.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I've also been looking at this model and others. Wish there was a front mount for the 1-Series so I could dethatch and mow all at the same time.

Yes, that would be ideal!

·
Registered
947 Posts
Just bought one and took delivery of it... it's NOT truly JD QH compatible - there is not enough height between the 3PH frame to pick it up with the QH without removing the top link tube and lifting it onto the QH manually as it needs to rotate forward to clear the thick QH metal lower links. Not a big deal since it's a very light attachment, but would have preferred a truly QH compatible attachment from the seat of the tractor. I assumed that it was a legit QH compatible attachment due to the redesigned top link tube, but didn't actually ask the manufacturer, so a fail on my part! It's nowhere near as heavily built as I expected, but that doesn't mean it won't work well or last, time will tell... plus, it's a dethatcher, not a box blade. :)

If I knew about the lack of true QH compatibility and the fact that it weights 42lbs, I may have went with the EA pine straw rake instead, but we'll see how it works out. If it's too light, I'll figure out a way to add some weight.
I have the same issue with our I-Match. It's close enough I can kick it with a good foot wedge and it slides in but as you said...not truly compatible.

I am anxious to hear your thoughts on how it works for dethatching. For that I have been happy with the results thus far. I too find it quite light but I am sure the 65#'s of the I-Match help with ground engagement.

·
Administrator
18,512 Posts
With the weight of the unit and the weight of the iMatch combined I suspect it will be fine and work well. The one I built years ago is very similar to that one.

·
Read Only
1,932 Posts

There is and CMP attachments makes it as well. I've spoken with Derek over email many times about mounting the 60" HD front dethather on a 1025r and he says it will fit. Will find out come spring when I'm ready to purchase one.

Edit: Link to website http://www.cmpattachments.com/CMP_Z_Turn_Dethatcher_HD_p/cmp-zhd.htm. The front mounts aren't cheap, but look pretty heavy built. The first review on the page I linked the guy has one mounted up on a Kubota BX2670. Yes you have to find a place to mount the handle, but I'm planning on making a bracket to mount on the loader mounting frame that can be removed easily when not in use.

·
Registered
768 Posts
So I actually had a chance to mow the grass at about 2-3/4" (at least my test section) and found that this unit works pretty well. Weight is not an issue as Kenny mentioned. I did notice that it ripped out some small clumps of "good grass" here and there but I have a feeling this is normal, correct? I can't remember if this was also the case with a 20+" "power rake" type dethatcher? It does seem to loosen up the grass a bit more than I'd like but I don't think this is detrimental to the grass plants, correct?

My lawn is pretty thick and it doesn't appear that I have much excess thatch, just about the right amount for a strong, healthy lawn.

This attachment would be perfect for loosening up the grass and removing light thatch in preparation for overseeding as it scratches to the soil nicely and would help to allow for good seed to soil contact.

I think it would rip out less good grass if I mowed at it below 2.25". Thoughts?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just used my 50" model for the first time today, worked great. The weight of the unit itself and the Imatch seem to put good pressure down on the tines. Had the same issue with the Imatch, I took the bolt out, dropped it in the Imatch and re installed the bolt, not a big deal a few times a year, if i had to do it weekly it would bother me.

I was thinking you could get the Artillian fork 3pt hitch adapter and use it on the front, or buy a blank from them and fab up a bracket for it.

What impressed me was the reviews on the website about the great customer service, also from the research I did it looked like they used more tines than most other brands in the same price range. I also seen exact replacement tines at Fleet Farm.

Attachments

·
Registered
768 Posts
Good to hear. What is your description of the type of de thatching that it did? Did it seem to pull some actual grass plants out as I was describing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
222 Posts
Good to hear. What is your description of the type of de thatching that it did? Did it seem to pull some actual grass plants out as I was describing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It did when I tried it with long grass, once I cut it short barely any.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
768 Posts
It did when I tried it with long grass, once I cut it short barely any.
How short is short? :) 2"? I'm was going to try at least 2.25"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts