Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an acre of yard that needs to be dethatched. Mostly for the purpose of removing dead crabgrass and dead weeds that I recently murdered with my new boom sprayer. I'd like to get it all cleaned up this fall to make way for overseeding. What I really don't want to do, is push a tiny little power rake around the acre of yard. I would much prefer something I can trailer behind my 425. It seems most of the readily available tow behind tine models are 40 or 48 inch, which seems sad. Is there anything bigger, like 54 or 60 inch? Has anyone cobbled up something that would lift the tow unit up using the class 0 three point hitch?

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
I got a 48" Craftsman (agri-fab) dirt cheap so I use it. Would be nice if it was wider, but it is what it is. I hook it to my multi-hole drawbar and use the 3 pt to raise and lower it, since I can't reach the dethatchers lift bar from the seat. Using the 3 pt works good for that, but I've got a 1025R, Cat 1 hitch. We do about 3 acres.

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose if you can do 3 acres with one of those, I can do my 1 acre :thumbup1gif:

Does it perform well? One pass sufficient, or do you need to go over multiple times. I would probably suck the thatch up with the powerflow bagger afterwards.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,688 Posts
Yeah it works well but my lawn is a work in progress. I also run 2 cinder blocks on it for weight to stabilize it from bouncing around and use a slow ground speed.

As far as the number of passes, it depends how much you want to remove, the condition of your grass, etc. The spacing of the tines won't get all of the thatch in one pass, (I think you'll find most if not all de-thatchers are like this) but where my grass is thick, it gets a lot in one pass. Enough that it needs to be raked, bagged, blown, etc. But sometimes on the thick part, if it's gotten enough rain, I'll make 2 passes...one north-south, the other east-west. This helps get more out and the condition of the grass is stronger to be able to take the brunt of the second pass.

Where my grass is thinner, I'll do it once, clean it up, and let it be for a couple weeks. Don't want to do too much too fast and destroy it.

Definitely clean up the thatch after getting it up and loose.

IMO, de-thatching a lawn is not wham, bam, done. It takes time, especially like mine, where is not been done in years if ever. I think people give up too soon and sell their de-thatchers on craigslist :laugh:

·
Premium Member
1,678 Posts
I have an acre of yard that needs to be dethatched. Mostly for the purpose of removing dead crabgrass and dead weeds that I recently murdered with my new boom sprayer. I'd like to get it all cleaned up this fall to make way for overseeding. What I really don't want to do, is push a tiny little power rake around the acre of yard. I would much prefer something I can trailer behind my 425. It seems most of the readily available tow behind tine models are 40 or 48 inch, which seems sad. Is there anything bigger, like 54 or 60 inch? Has anyone cobbled up something that would lift the tow unit up using the class 0 three point hitch?
I purchased a 3 point mounted 72” pine needle Rake from Everything Attachments to thatch my lawn. It works like a charm. You can get a tow-behind model too. You’ll love it.

Sincerely

·
Premium Member
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So it looks like for practical purposes, I'm going to have to just get a traditional tow-behind 40 or 48" unit. At least they're cheap, and I need to get this done for fall overseeding.

But I was thinking I could very easily build some 10-12" extensions off each side with some angle iron and attach additional tines to them. That would give me a 60" wingspan and speed the job up. Then maybe down the road I can fandangle up a front mount to a quick hitch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts