Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bit on a Dewalt combination set at TSC a couple of months ago. It's a 20v set and contained a drill/driver and screw driver plus batteries and charger. Drill has good power, batteries are good but last week I needed to use the drill and the chuck is making a grinding noise when tightening on a drill bit. I flipped the speed switch, opened and shut the chuck and the noise remained.

I contacted Dewalt and got back a standard reply of send it to the repair center which I will do. I am a little hacked though at a bad chuck on basically a brand new drill. I've worn out chucks and had to replace them but never had a defective one right out of the box.

Anyone else have a problem with a Dewalt chuck?

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
Might be helpful to have a video of it. Grinding to one might be something else to someone else. Lots of subjective stuff there that a video removes.

I guess what Im wondering is, is this the ratchet tightening down at the end of its travel, which is normal, or is it a constant grinding noise?
Im not saying it is or isnt, but I know when I bought my M18 FUEL drill a while back, I was somewhat surprised by that noise as the chuck tightened. In that particular noises case, its normal. And it doesnt do it all the time while the drill is operating, just at the very end of the tightening of the chuck.

One other thing, whats TSCs return policy? Sometimes they will exchange a product for a good amount of time if you have the receipt.

Another thing, Dewalt should be paying for you to send it in.

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Intermittent

Might be helpful to have a video of it. Grinding to one might be something else to someone else. Lots of subjective stuff there that a video removes.

I guess what Im wondering is, is this the ratchet tightening down at the end of its travel, which is normal, or is it a constant grinding noise?
Im not saying it is or isnt, but I know when I bought my M18 FUEL drill a while back, I was somewhat surprised by that noise as the chuck tightened. In that particular noises case, its normal. And it doesnt do it all the time while the drill is operating, just at the very end of the tightening of the chuck.

One other thing, whats TSCs return policy? Sometimes they will exchange a product for a good amount of time if you have the receipt.

Another thing, Dewalt should be paying for you to send it in.
It doesn't always make the noise when tightening the chuck. It didn't make the noise at all initially but started after a month or so and I've really not used the drill that much- only a few times.

TSC has a 30 day policy. I may or may not be able to find the receipt. I suspect there may be a bit of machining debris left inside the chuck that moves from a innocuous location to where it makes noise but that's just a guess. Based on some other on line posts, I think it may be a known issue.

Treefarmer

Reactions: Robnik

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Any chance the you got dirt or chips in the chuck ? This can happen when drilling overhead.

·
Super Moderator
2,838 Posts
Most of the keyless 'Jacobs' chucks used by tool manufactures aren't made by the tool manufacture, unless this has changed in the last couple years, so I wouldn't bash Dewalt. I bought the Milwaukee M18 Fuel kit in 2014 and blew the chuck out twice within 2 yrs. I don't blame Milwaukee for that. Plus the drill had a 5 yr warrenty and was easy to send in for repair. Both times I shipped it out on Monday and had it back that Friday.

Just saying.

Reactions: Treefarmer

·
Registered
6,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope, no overhead drilling

Any chance the you got dirt or chips in the chuck ? This can happen when drilling overhead.
Nope, I've really done very little with the drill but nothing overhead. It's always possible that something got in the chuck but it's stored in the bag it came in and wasn't used much.

Treefarmer

Reactions: wildbranch2007
1 - 6 of 6 Posts