Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 241 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to start a thread on DeWalt Power Tools cause it's hard to find information sifting through a bazillion threads/posts.
Maybe we need/could use other "XXXX Power Tool Review Threads" also. :dunno: :thumbup1gif:

Ordered this on Thursday, should have it Monday...

Imageresizer.ashx.jpg
20V MAX* XR® Brushless Compact Reciprocating Saw (Tool Only) - DCS367B | DEWALT

Anyone have experience with this little guy?
In as much as I already bought it I'm only looking for good views.:lol:

BTW, Bubber got me to thinking about this with his new saw purchase.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I decided to start a thread on DeWalt Power Tools cause it's hard to find information sifting through a bazillion threads/posts.
Maybe we need/could use other "XXXX Power Tool Review Threads" also. :dunno: :thumbup1gif:

View attachment 346746

I have the reciprocating saw, but don't use it too much - maybe every few months, usually to finish a cut through 6x6s that I've started on all 4 sides with a circular saw. I actually bought it more for metal cuts, but...

After finally having my own real shop at home in my barn, I've collected quite a number of Dewalt cordless tools. I have to say that my absolute favorite to date is the deep cut band saw. The only down side is that its bulk prevents nice close cuts of bolt threads if anything is in the way. So I still have to resort to the arm-driven hacksaw alternative from time to time. Crap, now that I think about it, I wonder if my oscillating saw with a metal cutting blade would cut off those excess bolt lengths!

dewalt.jpg

I may change my mind about my favorite Dewalt cordless tool, since the Dewalt cordless grease gun is coming from Amazon this afternoon, along with a Lock-n-Lube coupler.

dewalt2.jpg dewalt3.jpg

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Let me know how you like that Grease gun. It's on my list.

I've had no problems with my desalt stuff. It I also buy the higher end XR brushless series.
My builder has the whole set. His were beat to death and kept working perfectly.

I told him that it's not really fair. I give him all that money to build my house then he takes all his tools with him.

So far I only have the driver and drill. They are indispensable.

Even though good tools are more expensive up front in the long run they are cheaper.

And if anyone is from the south Central PA area I highly recommend Lantz Hardware in Newburg as the place to get this stuff. Prices are decent but customer service is awesome.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have pretty much all DeWalt tools, with the exception of corded when needed. All mine are of the 18V variety. No complaints.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I find that having two drills has gone quickly from a luxury to a absolutely-must-have. I do a lot of horse jump building as a hobby, and having two drills makes assembly much smoother. One to drill the pilot hole, and the other to insert the screw.

I almost can't recall the last time I used a hammer and nail.

The post-woman just arrived with the grease gun, so I'm off to the barn to get dirty.

With the grease gun.:bye2:

·
Registered
371 Posts
I've been a DeWalt fan, for years. I know that there are other good products on the market, but DeWalt is everywhere. It is easy to find batteries, accessories, etc.
Two things that I REALLY like about DeWalt- they cover more ground than all other manufacturers, combined. They make tools for uses that others don't. If you have a need, it is most likely that DeWalt has a tool for it.
Second- I was a tile installer for many years. I've owned quite a few different styles and brands of wet saws, and my absolute favorite was, and still is, DeWalt. The wet saw that they developed weighed less, is better thought out, and does more, than any other in its class. I bought an early one, and it had bearing issues. But, it's still running, and I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
Which goes to my first point- DeWalt meets more needs than any other manufacturer.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I have the reciprocating saw, but don't use it too much - maybe every few months, usually to finish a cut through 6x6s that I've started on all 4 sides with a circular saw. I actually bought it more for metal cuts, but...
I'm buying the saw along with this 51fye-ipPML._SL1000_.jpg to cut smaller branches off larger branches that won't fit into our chipper because of the smaller branches.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I have all 18V cordless tools form dewalt. I used to have 18V black and Decker, but the batteries would only hold a charge under load for about 2 minutes. The switch was inevitable, and I have no complaints about the tools.

The batteries are a different story. every once and a while one will go bad. The older ones (the big bulky black and yellow ones) are more prone to this than new ones (small 100% black batteries). I did have an issue with terminal corrosion a couple weeks ago. I had to remove the top covers and sand the terminals to get it off. Not a huge deal but still aggravating. :banghead:

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
I've got several different brands of cordless tools, get suckered in when looking for something that only one brand seems to have at the time, then after I buy, everyone has it.:laugh:

I've got Ryobis, mainly because of a chainsaw and stapler, then Black & Decker because of a blower and polesaw, and DeWalt because of impact and greasegun. And of course have drills and other tools in all of them due to package deals. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy a package with tools and batteries than just the batteries alone, especially around Christmas. :crazy:

But I've decided now to start concentrating on just DeWalt. 'Course I started with their 18v stuff, now their new stuff is 20v. I recently bought a converter and some 20v batteries, allowing the use of a 20v battery in an 18v tool, seems OK so far. The first I've ever seen to do that which makes me like them more. So from now on any new tools I might buy will be 20v.

I didn't know CPO was on Ebay but ran across this recently and since I now have some 20v DeWalt batteries I ordered one. It looks brand new but haven't used it yet. Can't find it online now but this was it.

trimmer.jpg

Something I really want is a cordless ratchet, been hoping that DeWalt would come out with one. Milwaukee is the only brand I ever see that has one. But I am not starting another collection because of one tool again. (maybe) :laugh:

·
Registered
1,072 Posts

View attachment 346746

My wife gave me the reciprocating saw for Christmas last year and while I have only used it a few times it has performed flawlessly. I have used it mostly cutting steel and it had no problem cutting through. I also have the drill and impact driver and have never had a problem. On the corded side I have the compound miter saw and 1/2" drill and they still work great.

·
Premium Member
5,762 Posts
Can't really say anything bad about DeWalt Power Tools, yet. I sort of like 'em...:lol:
I can, the color, they're too bright, making them too obvious! :banghead:

My wife doesn't need to know every new tool I buy! :lol:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I can, the color, they're too bright, making them too obvious! :banghead:

My wife doesn't need to know every new tool I buy! :lol:
EMOTICON SHOCKED CRINGE EMBARRASS_1.jpg You don't have to ask permission first? I think I'm doing something wrong, I just know it. :lol:

·
Registered
967 Posts
Ok, don't flame me here..... about 11 years ago, we, or the house got stuck by lightning and the or one of the garage door openers got zapped and needed replacement. The (National Brand) Garage Door co. came out to replace it. He got out all his tools, ladders etc. He got up on the ladder to start work and I asked him how he liked hit Ryobi? He said it's been a champ for three years and loves it. So, the conversation started about Battery operated tools and I drug out my DeWalt. He turned and put the Ryobi to the bolt to unbolt and that was the end of the story. It Died! He did the whole job using my DeWalt. Doesn't prove anything about DeWalt of Ryobi. Just a story that we both had a good chuckle over. Fate?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok, don't flame me here..... about 11 years ago, we, or the house got stuck by lightning and the or one of the garage door openers got zapped and needed replacement. The (National Brand) Garage Door co. came out to replace it. He got out all his tools, ladders etc. He got up on the ladder to start work and I asked him how he liked hit Ryobi? He said it's been a champ for three years and loves it. So, the conversation started about Battery operated tools and I drug out my DeWalt. He turned and put the Ryobi to the bolt to unbolt and that was the end of the story. It Died! He did the whole job using my DeWalt. Doesn't prove anything about DeWalt of Ryobi. Just a story that we both had a good chuckle over. Fate?
All good. :thumbup1gif:
My thread here is not to promote DeWalt or any other power tool but rather a storage place for DeWalt reviews. I think most cordless power tools today are pretty good.
Thanks for the post.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Oh good....my work bench looks just like your Gizmo....except mine are all red:hide:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
35,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh good....my work bench looks just like your Gizmo....except mine are all red:hide:
Outstanding! :thumbup1gif:
Start a thread "XXXX" Power Tool Review. :good2:

·
Registered
4,826 Posts
Impact wrenches

I'd be curious to see reviews about the Dewalt 3/8" and 1/2" impact wrenches. Do they provide torque up to specs? How's the usability? Battery life?

Treefarmer

·
Registered
154 Posts
I'd be curious to see reviews about the Dewalt 3/8" and 1/2" impact wrenches. Do they provide torque up to specs? How's the usability? Battery life?

Treefarmer
I have the DCF889B 1/2" torque impact wrench. I use it with a 5AH battery and it will last all day with that battery. I didn't count how many bolts I used it on before I had to switch batteries, but it was a lot. The big test will be when I reverse my front wheels on the tractor next weekend. I'll advise abou that then. It zipped off the 997 wheels without a sweat. It easily compares to my medium air impact wrench with is rated at 800ft lbs. it cannot do what my 1200ft lbs 3/4" impact does though.

I beleive that that it lives up to its specs.

·
Registered
154 Posts
As noted above, impact torque wrench; rating: high. Use: medium.

All tools are 20V, unless noted.

Grease gun: how did I live this long without this grease gun????? Holy poop, Batman! Rating: very high. Use: medium-low.

Compound sliding miter saw: trimmed out a 2800 sqft home, built custom cabinets and entertainment center. Used on poplar and pine. Had to use the 12" compound sliding saw on bigger cuts because this saw will only handle 6" trim. One 5AH battery would last all day making around 200 cuts. Need to check for square often as it's easy to knock out of square. Rating: high. Use: high.

Reciprocating saw, jig saw, circular saw: all used constantly and all can cut flawlessly. Circular saw will run out about 10-8' 3/4" plywood cuts. Reciprocating saw is as good as my Porter Cable corded Tiger Saw. Rating: high. Use: high.

Trim gun: trimmed out two houses, built multiple cabinets, soffits and so forth. Shot approximately 3000 nails with only two jams. Waaaaaaaay better than Paslode. No more gas cartridges. Paslode finally expired (so it was a rather violent ending, but it deserved it!) and bliss was returned with the purchase of the DeWalt.

Framing gun: dead on arrival. Need to send back to CPO and get a new one. Rating: TBD. Use: high once I get it.

Small impact driver: best one yet. I have four. They are absolutely indispensable. Can run a star drive screw through a 2x4 and do it again a hundred times. And I mean through the 2x4. Rating: superior. Use: all the time.

Standard (brush) drill: I rarely use it; underpowered even with a 5AH batter. Rating: ok. Use: low.

Hammer drill (both brushed and brushless): used it to drill I didn't know how many screws in cured (20 year old) concrete. Drilled up to 1/2" holes in concrete. Will twist an arm off if not careful. If I need a drill, versus a compact impact driver, this is the one I use. I have two of these. It compares to my Milwaukee corded Hole Hawg. Rating: high. Use: medium.

Compact trim router: haven't used it yet so not sure.

Flashlight: Brilliant. Ha. LED, lasts a long time and really bright. I have a lot of these scattered around and have quit using flashlights. Rating: high. Use: high.

Blower: OK CFM but it's difficult to get that much out of a small blower. Decent for cleaning out the garage but can't hanlde big jobs. Rating: fair. Use: medium.

Vacumn: I have two. One for the house and one for the shop. These things are the absolute bomb. Highly recommend them. The hose is only 1-14" but these are compact units. 3AH batteries don't last very long. The filter clogs quickly. Rating: high for what it is. Use: high.

12V compact drill: great for small projects that don't require a lot of torque. Battery won't last long with heavy use but batteries charge really quick. Rating: good. Use: medium.

Batteries: small ones that come with some of the kits; good for flashlights only. Other than that, they're worthless. Stick with the 5AH batteries for the impact drivers, the vacumns and the miter; they will last for hours. The 3AH batteries will drive about 200 screws in framing lumber. Brushless tools last a lot longer, battery wise. They all charge quick but I have the two position charger. And about 30 batteries so I'm never out.

I'm sure I'm missing a tool or two as I have a few of DeWalt's cordless tools. I also have the 40V chainsaw and trimmer but I need to get the 7.5AH batteries as the 4AH batteries don't last long enough. I'll do a separate review of those because they're a different kind of animal. And besides, I'm now officially exhausted after doing this brief inventory review....

1 - 20 of 241 Posts