Green Tractor Talk banner

221 - 240 of 253 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #221 (Edited)
iamrfixit, I ordered the pole saw, just got off the phone with ACME. To say the people out there are very nice would be an understatement.
In my mined I got a heck of a deal. Of course they are back ordered.
I received my Pole Saw today. The unit seems to have an intermittent connection at the first joint from the battery end.
I called ACME and a replacement is being shipped today. My hat is off to ACME. I'm glad I used ACME. :good2:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Man oh man. I got most of my order from ACME tools and boy howdy are these new fangled (to me) cordless drill and impact driver SWEET!! :good2:

The batteries even have a fuel gauge :cool:

My Dewalt 9.6V and 18V drill drivers are sure gonna be lonely from here on out.

That 18V drill feels like picking up a sledge hammer compared to the new one.
I am really impressed,,,,Amazing.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
That 18V drill feels like picking up a sledge hammer compared to the new one.
I am really impressed,,,,Amazing.
Me too. I have one of the new Li-Ion 20v max brushless DeWalts, and it's easily the best drill I've ever used. Light and powerful. My old 18v NiCads are collecting dust.

I wish DeWalt would have come out with a properly functional 18v to 20v adapter. I have one, but it only works with the little 2ah batter packs not the bigger packs. It also self-discharges packs over a day or two, so something clearly isn't right with it.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Me too. I have one of the new Li-Ion 20v max brushless DeWalts, and it's easily the best drill I've ever used. Light and powerful. My old 18v NiCads are collecting dust.

I wish DeWalt would have come out with a properly functional 18v to 20v adapter. I have one, but it only works with the little 2ah batter packs not the bigger packs. It also self-discharges packs over a day or two, so something clearly isn't right with it.

I have one of these 18V-20V adapters Waitley Battery Adapter for Dewalt DCA1820 18V-20V Converter w/ USB Power Bank 749882995454 | eBay and it works fine. I use it to allow me to use my 18V Milwaukee batteries on my 18V DeWalt equipment. The biggest Milwaukee battery I have is the 9amp.

Dave

·
Registered
263 Posts
My DeWalt tool arsenal is small but growing.

Most of my cordless stuff is old Craftsman 19.2 C3 and still going strong.

We had a DeWalt cordless drill at work that didn't hold up for squat. I had the motor replaced in it once and it burned up again so I replaced it with the Craftsman 19.2 V stuff. Those held up better but the drill that came in the set wasn't as good as my old one is.

When my 40 year old corded Craftsman 4-1/2 inch grinder died I was disappointed to find they didn't have a comparable replacement. After burning up two different Harbor Freight grinders I found a DeWalt DWE4120 on sale at Tractor Supply. So far it has been a work horse.

I also bought my 20V DeWalt grease gun at Tractor Supply. They will match any advertised special you find on top of any discount they have. I got them to match the lowest price ad I found from HD and they added their 10% off on top of that. So far am pleased with it. I have a full size backhoe that eats a tube and a half of grease at every interval so the cordless cuts down on the time it takes to go through that. Word of warning: When the motor in the grease gun stops making a pumping sound stop immediately and change the tube. If you don't it will suck the tube closed and be a bear to get the empty tube out of.

Day before yesterday I was reading favorable reviews on the 20V brushless string trimmer. I have been on the fence about getting one but since my 31 year old Homelite was needing a new head and an adaptor bolt that is no longer available I looked into one of those. I went to the Home Depot website and it came up saying add to cart to see the price. I stuck one in the cart and it showed as $179 - $30. When I opened a new tab and looked at it again it was showing at $199. I am now the new owner of a 20V DeWalt string trimmer that sold at $149 plus tax. I haven't had a lot of time using it but the initial tests indicate I will be pleased I bought it. Hopefully the brushless motor will treat me better than the old style drill we had at work.

Anybody see a trend here? I use my stuff until it won't run then I look for the best deal on replacements I can find. Looks like I'm locked in to the DeWalt cordless now so if my old 19.2 Craftsman stuff starts to die I will replace as needed.

·
Registered
8,783 Posts
My old craftsman grinder died last year too. I also went with dewalt, but I think I got 1 size bigger with an 11amp motor. It’s good but I miss the trigger in the craftsman. Then last winter amazon had some small hitachi grinders for $20. I bought 3. I think 2 are unused but setup to go. I have a grinding wheel on the dewalt, and the other 3 have a cup brush, a flap disk and a cutting disk. Someone last year also posted a great deal on flap disks, I almost think they were free, so I have a great supply.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I also bought my 20V DeWalt grease gun at Tractor Supply. .... I have a full size backhoe that eats a tube and a half of grease at every interval so the cordless cuts down on the time it takes to go through that.
I made the mistake of sending an old 14.4 drill in for repairs years ago, cost over a hundred bucks and failed again. Now that you can buy a new bare tool with full warranty for less than my repair cost, I'd never fix one out of warranty.

Add a LockNLube coupler to your dewalt grease gun, makes greasing a lot quicker and easier when you have a ton of lube points, it's most definitely worth the price.

Can't comment on the 20v trimmer but the 60v is a real beast. I mow and trim 3 large yards, barely takes the battery off full.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #230

·
Registered
26 Posts
I decided to start a thread on DeWalt Power Tools cause it's hard to find information sifting through a bazillion threads/posts.
Maybe we need/could use other "XXXX Power Tool Review Threads" also. :dunno: :thumbup1gif:

Ordered this on Thursday, should have it Monday...

View attachment 346746
20V MAX* XR® Brushless Compact Reciprocating Saw (Tool Only) - DCS367B | DEWALT

Anyone have experience with this little guy?
In as much as I already bought it I'm only looking for good views.:lol:

BTW, Bubber got me to thinking about this with his new saw purchase.
[/QUOTE
As noted above, impact torque wrench; rating: high. Use: medium.

All tools are 20V, unless noted.

Grease gun: how did I live this long without this grease gun????? Holy poop, Batman! Rating: very high. Use: medium-low.

Compound sliding miter saw: trimmed out a 2800 sqft home, built custom cabinets and entertainment center. Used on poplar and pine. Had to use the 12" compound sliding saw on bigger cuts because this saw will only handle 6" trim. One 5AH battery would last all day making around 200 cuts. Need to check for square often as it's easy to knock out of square. Rating: high. Use: high.

Reciprocating saw, jig saw, circular saw: all used constantly and all can cut flawlessly. Circular saw will run out about 10-8' 3/4" plywood cuts. Reciprocating saw is as good as my Porter Cable corded Tiger Saw. Rating: high. Use: high.

Trim gun: trimmed out two houses, built multiple cabinets, soffits and so forth. Shot approximately 3000 nails with only two jams. Waaaaaaaay better than Paslode. No more gas cartridges. Paslode finally expired (so it was a rather violent ending, but it deserved it!) and bliss was returned with the purchase of the DeWalt.

Framing gun: dead on arrival. Need to send back to CPO and get a new one. Rating: TBD. Use: high once I get it.

Small impact driver: best one yet. I have four. They are absolutely indispensable. Can run a star drive screw through a 2x4 and do it again a hundred times. And I mean through the 2x4. Rating: superior. Use: all the time.

Standard (brush) drill: I rarely use it; underpowered even with a 5AH batter. Rating: ok. Use: low.

Hammer drill (both brushed and brushless): used it to drill I didn't know how many screws in cured (20 year old) concrete. Drilled up to 1/2" holes in concrete. Will twist an arm off if not careful. If I need a drill, versus a compact impact driver, this is the one I use. I have two of these. It compares to my Milwaukee corded Hole Hawg. Rating: high. Use: medium.

Compact trim router: haven't used it yet so not sure.

Flashlight: Brilliant. Ha. LED, lasts a long time and really bright. I have a lot of these scattered around and have quit using flashlights. Rating: high. Use: high.

Blower: OK CFM but it's difficult to get that much out of a small blower. Decent for cleaning out the garage but can't hanlde big jobs. Rating: fair. Use: medium.

Vacumn: I have two. One for the house and one for the shop. These things are the absolute bomb. Highly recommend them. The hose is only 1-14" but these are compact units. 3AH batteries don't last very long. The filter clogs quickly. Rating: high for what it is. Use: high.

12V compact drill: great for small projects that don't require a lot of torque. Battery won't last long with heavy use but batteries charge really quick. Rating: good. Use: medium.

Batteries: small ones that come with some of the kits; good for flashlights only. Other than that, they're worthless. Stick with the 5AH batteries for the impact drivers, the vacumns and the miter; they will last for hours. The 3AH batteries will drive about 200 screws in framing lumber. Brushless tools last a lot longer, battery wise. They all charge quick but I have the two position charger. And about 30 batteries so I'm never out.

I'm sure I'm missing a tool or two as I have a few of DeWalt's cordless tools. I also have the 40V chainsaw and trimmer but I need to get the 7.5AH batteries as the 4AH batteries don't last long enough. I'll do a separate review of those because they're a different kind of animal. And besides, I'm now officially exhausted after doing this brief inventory review....
I got the drill impact driver combo a couple of years ago. The impact driver is outstanding. The drill is okay it works much better with good bits. Lowe's had the Dewalt drill bit set 1/16" to 1/2" for about $10.00. They also had an impact bit set with a magnetic screw holder for about the same price which is really handy.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had Craftsman 19.2v C3 Combo kit (drill / reciprocating saw / flashlight / circular saw / jigsaw / 2 batteries and a charger) for over 15 years. One of batteries died 5 years ago. The second battery died 2 years ago. So I bough an aftermarket battery for $70 from Amazon. However, the battery had very low Ah. I could not even tapping 20 threads into 80/20 aluminum extrusion. then I had to wait for an hour to charge the battery. So I listed the combo kit on Craigslist for $100 last year. Someone bought it.

I saw Dewalt 20v Max grease gun with 20v Max XR 1/4 impact gun, 5Ah battery and a charger on sale for $199 during the black Friday last year. It was a no brainer. I bought it.

A couple months later, Home Depot had "Special of the day while supply last" for Dewalt 20v Max Atomic Drill with 20v Max XR oscillating multi-tool, 2 2Ah batteries and a charger for $149. I sold one battery and a charger for $65, So the Atomic drill and oscillating tool cost me around $85.

I bought Dewalt DCF899B 20V MAX XR Cordless 1/2-inch Brushless Detent Pin Impact Wrench, Bare Tool from eBay for $95. Most brand name stores sell for $199 (bare tool).

I also bought 20v Max XR angle grinder with 4Ah battery from Home Depot for $149.

I bought DeWalt DCW210B 20V MAX XR Brushless 5" Cordless Sander, Tool Only DCW210B with Dewalt DCB205 20V MAX XR Premium 5 Ah Lithium-Ion Battery from CPO for $104 today. The
20v Max XR battery usually sells on eBay for $55. If I can sell the battery, the sander will cost me $50.

My Dewalt cordless tools are growing. I will stick with 20v Max XR as much as I can.

The 20v Max 1/4 and 1/2 impact guns work great. The 2Ah battery last the entire day. 1/2 impact gun removed lug nuts from a MHHWV with ease but I did not have to pull air hose.

I usually keep 2-3 batteries on hand. I will sell the excess batteries to bring the cost down. New bare tools often come with battery and charger so I will always have new batteries.

All of my DeWalt cordless tools have been great with no issue.

These are on my list when they are on sale:
20v Max XR blower.
20v Max XR trimmer
20V LED flashlight
20V circular saw
60v table saw

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
You should consider keeping a few more batteries. The more tools you have, the more batteries you'll find you need. It's not uncommon for me to have 6+ tools and batteries going on the same job. Having to constantly swap batteries is not efficient or fun and then it really bites when one goes dead and you don't have a ready spare.

I work those bare tool, free battery deals to the max every chance I get. My tool arsenal has expanded greatly and at rough count probably up to around twenty of the 20v batteries. I have numerous 60v tools and about 11 of those batteries too. Gave up trying to justify the money spent on tools a long time ago. If I can afford it and want it, I buy it. I've never regretted buying any of them yet. They've all made me money and saved me time.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I had Craftsman 19.2v C3 Combo kit (drill / reciprocating saw / flashlight / circular saw / jigsaw / 2 batteries and a charger) for over 15 years. One of batteries died 5 years ago. The second battery died 2 years ago. So I bough an aftermarket battery for $70 from Amazon. However, the battery had very low Ah. I could not even tapping 20 threads into 80/20 aluminum extrusion. then I had to wait for an hour to charge the battery. So I listed the combo kit on Craigslist for $100 last year. Someone bought it.
This is the Craftsman set I have. When the nicad batteries died I switched to lithium and those have held up fine. I found a deal on the no longer made 3/8 ratchet that came with one lithium battery and a charger and I bought a second battery.

·
Registered
79 Posts
This is the Craftsman set I have. When the nicad batteries died I switched to lithium and those have held up fine. I found a deal on the no longer made 3/8 ratchet that came with one lithium battery and a charger and I bought a second battery.
The reason that I moved on what the replacement battery. Craftsman discontinued the battery long time ago. The aftermarket was not meet my needs and expensive. It also heavier when compare to side-by-side, for instance, drill.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm sure liking my new 20V MAX XR stuff.
However, with my old 9V and 18V drill drivers sitting around, it's almost hard to grab the new ones for simple tasks. LOL

To somewhat prevent this horrible dilemma, I went ahead and gave my 9V, two fairly new batteries, charger and case to my oldest grandson (13 yr old) couple days ago. He was a happy camper.

I'm going to take the 18V up to the fishing camp to live with my 14V drill driver and 5 3/8 circular saw.
Now, I said all that to ask this - 😁
I know best and least expensive DO NOT go together, but, where 's the best and least expensive place to source a couple new 18V batteries?

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #237
I know best and least expensive DO NOT go together, but, where 's the best and least expensive place to source a couple new 18V batteries?
It may be more cost effective to buy a new 20V tool with a battery.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm sure liking my new 20V MAX XR stuff.
However, with my old 9V and 18V drill drivers sitting around, it's almost hard to grab the new ones for simple tasks. LOL

To somewhat prevent this horrible dilemma, I went ahead and gave my 9V, two fairly new batteries, charger and case to my oldest grandson (13 yr old) couple days ago. He was a happy camper.

I'm going to take the 18V up to the fishing camp to live with my 14V drill driver and 5 3/8 circular saw.
Now, I said all that to ask this - 😁
We still have a couple 18v at work. I've recently bought the two pack for $99 from Acme and amazon has usually had them for similar price. Just searched again and amazon was $94 from a third party seller and acme was $129. Been $99 for a long time, don't know why the sudden change, maybe christmas related.

Kinda hard to give that much for a couple batteries when I just bought a premium, brushless 20v hammerdrill/impact driver kit with two 5.0 batteries, charger and hard case for $199!

You can buy an adapter that will run 20v batteries on the 18v tools, but I hesitate to recommend it as it has such mixed reviews. I don't have the adapter to form my own opinion.

·
Registered
280 Posts
you are probably right Giz, but I just can't scrap a perfectly good working tool.
I see several 18v 2 packs on flea bay for around 30 bucks, but they are likely junk, don't know.
I can't find my paperwork on the last 2 I bought.

221 - 240 of 253 Posts