Green Tractor Talk banner

241 - 249 of 249 Posts

·
Administrator
17,136 Posts
I recently purchased the DCS373 metal cutting circular saw and had a chance to use it today. This was 1/4” thick steel, I was beyond impressed with its performance. 👍👍 Dewalt

·
Premium Member
10,731 Posts
I've had the Makita version of this for several years (uses a 5-3/8 inch blade). Like the Dewalt it is very impressive in its cutting capabilities. What tooth blade are you using? I use a 30T or 50T blade depending on material.

·
Administrator
17,136 Posts
I've had the Makita version of this for several years (uses a 5-3/8 inch blade). Like the Dewalt it is very impressive in its cutting capabilities. What tooth blade are you using? I use a 30T or 50T blade depending on material.
It came with a 5-1/2" 30 tooth blade, that's all I've tried so far.

·
Premium Member
10,731 Posts
It came with a 5-1/2" 30 tooth blade, that's all I've tried so far.
That’s sort of a universal blade. I’ve used the 30T on just about everything, including aluminum.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
That metal cutting circular saw is sweet. I knew they made a chop saw with a similar blade as that. I've heard great things about it over the standard style chop saw blade. I had no idea they made it in a circular saw version.

·
Premium Member
10,731 Posts
That metal cutting circular saw is sweet. I knew they made a chop saw with a similar blade as that. I've heard great things about it over the standard style chop saw blade. I had no idea they made it in a circular saw version.
You are correct. I'm not sure about Dewalt but several manufacturers offer 14-inch cold-cut chop saws. They use the same type of carbide blade instead of the abrasive blade. They cut very clean and fast. There are also metal cutting full-sized hand-held circular saws. Milwaukee makes a 8-inch metal cutting circular saw. And finally, there are these little 5-1/2 inch or so battery powered metal cutting saws that use miniature carbide blades. They all make for fast clean cuts but you have to be VERY careful with the position and hold-down of the material being cut and how much pressure you put on the blade. The carbide teeth can be very easily damaged and needless to say they are quite expensive.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Those work great, but if you force it or bind the blade it destroys the teeth incredibly fast. I have a 14" dry cut chop saw and it cuts fast and clean. We've used a milwaukee cordless metal saw for several years to cut and fit aeration floors in new grain bins we build. Used to torch cut the interlocking metal planks but the burning galvanizing was awful. The saw works well but consumes a new blade, or sometimes two for each bin floor.

Most impressive cut I ever seen happened last fall. A welding contractor I had at work used a corded milwaukee metal saw to cut all the way across a full sheet of 1/2" steel. Cut just about like you'd expect to cut a piece of plywood. The cut was slightly slower but wow, what a smooth and clean cut. Blade was still going strong after the cut.

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
Dewalt does make one of the 14" carbide style ones. The first time I saw it I told my BIL hell no would I use that thing on square tubing, I'd be afraid of the carbide catching the edge flawlessly and just binding up.

At an old job I was helping a buddy cut FRP grating with a carbide circular saw. The blade bound up, literally tore the blade from between two teeth down to the arbor. Half the blade folded into a 90 deg angle. It was an odd sound, the saw was full spool and then in a split second it sounded like it loaded up and then it made the frozen motor sound.

241 - 249 of 249 Posts