Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
2015 5045e
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moving a full IBC tote to the front yard yesterday, almost 300 gallons of water so we're taking about 2,500lbs on the folks.

I grab the tote and went to do a reverse 3 point turn, when I was reversing the rear wheel went up on a rock about a foot high. Nothing huge, so I just drove forward back in the same line to start over... rear wheel didn't come down the entire time.

My mind is going over the possibilities here... did the box blade get stuck on something? is the rock still under there somehow? I turn a little left, nothing. A little right, nothing. So I dropped the folks because something was clearly wrong here.

Turns out the water shifted all the way over when the rear wheel came up! Kept the weight there so it kept the tire up in the air.

Really weird feeling, but made sense once I examined the entire situation. This all happened within about 15-20 seconds.

Be careful with side weight too, ballast is great but won't help much when your weight shifts sideways.

I've got loaded tires and had a box blade on the rear FWIW.

Registered
Moving a full IBC tote to the front yard yesterday, almost 300 gallons of water so we're taking about 2,500lbs on the folks.

I grab the tote and went to do a reverse 3 point turn, when I was reversing the rear wheel went up on a rock about a foot high. Nothing huge, so I just drove forward back in the same line to start over... rear wheel didn't come down the entire time.

My mind is going over the possibilities here... did the box blade get stuck on something? is the rock still under there somehow? I turn a little left, nothing. A little right, nothing. So I dropped the folks because something was clearly wrong here.

Turns out the water shifted all the way over when the rear wheel came up! Kept the weight there so it kept the tire up in the air.

Really weird feeling, but made sense once I examined the entire situation. This all happened within about 15-20 seconds.

Be careful with side weight too, ballast is great but won't help much when your weight shifts sideways.

I've got loaded tires and had a box blade on the rear FWIW.
Glad it turned out well for you. Once the rear wheels leave the ground you've got little to no side to side stability as of course the front axle is free to tilt.

I'm impressed by the loader lift capacity.

Treefarmer

Reactions: JR Diyer

Registered
2015 5045e
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the tires are about 900lbs each and the box blade is about 700lbs, probably wasn't really an issue with rear ballast but more that the entire load shifted from left to right on the forks and the more it leaned the more water ended up on the wrong side of my current equation.

In the end it wasn't a big deal, but that sure could have gotten ugly quick.

I can get into a similar predicament with the grapple pretty easy too but that's way more predictable. Like I'll run over a tree one way, then circle back and grab it with the grapple with the root on one side and try to pull it out of the ground. I go real slow there because I know it's coming. Water moves way faster!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.