Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
changed the engine oil, changed the air and oil filter, as well as this FUEL FILTER..man was it ugly! made sure the antifreeze was looking good too...bright green!

power washed the machine as well.... funny the book had a much longer interval for some of those items than I would have guessed!

I probably didn't even have to change the air filter...it looked fine.. previous owner must have used it in clean conditions

dvice

Attachments

·
Administrator
20,359 Posts
Check the inside of your fuel tank. That black stuff looks like algae. If it's in your tank, you'll want to clean it out and treat it with an algaecide.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,080 Posts
That is one bad looking filter. I'd take a look in the tank also.

·
Registered
60 Posts
When i bought my 750 there was water in the filter glass, and the filter looked similar...drained and flushed the tank, new filter element and good to go....not :unknown:.

I took apart the fuel gage/gas cap assembly, cleaned and reassembled with new lens and o-ring. I still get a ton of condensation under the gage lens, and I suspect the tank vents thru the cap somehow... the lense and o-ring are new, so I don't think it's rain getting in, but the inside of the lense is subject to accumulating water...

... and I now have about a 1/4" of water in the filter glass again, though the element still looks decent.

If the condensation is normal, the water separator "feature" of the filter glass seems like maintenance... though I never thought algae. Is this common?

MB

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
When i bought my 750 there was water in the filter glass, and the filter looked similar...drained and flushed the tank, new filter element and good to go....not :unknown:.

I took apart the fuel gage/gas cap assembly, cleaned and reassembled with new lens and o-ring. I still get a ton of condensation under the gage lens, and I suspect the tank vents thru the cap somehow... the lense and o-ring are new, so I don't think it's rain getting in, but the inside of the lense is subject to accumulating water...

... and I now have about a 1/4" of water in the filter glass again, though the element still looks decent.

If the condensation is normal, the water separator "feature" of the filter glass seems like maintenance... though I never thought algae. Is this common?

MB
Yes algae can be common if water is present in the tank. You may try to keep the tank full of fuel. When the tank is full there is no air space for water to condense out of Lessing the chances of getting water in the fuel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
there was no water in the glass. I usually have the tank half full or above.... the machine sips diesel it seems... I took the gauge apart and painted the needle so I could see it better..the gauge doesn't move very fast, and I get antsy and fill the tank up anyway!!

because I have been told not to run the machine out of fuel.

Ill keep an eye on the new filter and see if it gets some algae growing or not

bob

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
there was no water in the glass. I usually have the tank half full or above.... the machine sips diesel it seems... I took the gauge apart and painted the needle so I could see it better..the gauge doesn't move very fast, and I get antsy and fill the tank up anyway!!

because I have been told not to run the machine out of fuel.

Ill keep an eye on the new filter and see if it gets some algae growing or not

bob
Because Im an Ex- Orange County neighbor with friends in Dutchess county I thought I would pass this on to you.

I think the reason why you were told not to allow the tractor to run out of fuel, is because your tractor must have fuel injection. If you run out of fuel & suck in air, at the injectors, you run the risk of having to bleed out the air by loosening the injector lines & rolling over the engine until you get proper fuel flow. It's just a messy time consuming PITA to do. This becomes necessary to remove the air which would stop the proper flow of fuel & cause misfires, etc. I don't think it has anything to do with algae in your fuel.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Because Im an Ex- Orange County neighbor with friends in Dutchess county I thought I would pass this on to you.

I think the reason why you were told not to allow the tractor to run out of fuel, is because your tractor must have fuel injection. If you run out of fuel & suck in air, at the injectors, you run the risk of having to bleed out the air by loosening the injector lines & rolling over the engine until you get proper fuel flow. It's just a messy time consuming PITA to do. This becomes necessary to remove the air which would stop the proper flow of fuel & cause misfires, etc. I don't think it has anything to do with algae in your fuel.
the injectors and airlock if you run out of fuel is true for the 750...

·
Administrator
20,359 Posts

All diesels are injected, one way or another.:good2: Most of our little tractors are mechanically injected such as the OP's 750. Pretty much everything new and bigger than a MCUT (from 18 wheelers to large tractors to pickups) are electronically injected.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
All diesels are injected, one way or another.:good2: Most of our little tractors are mechanically injected such as the OP's 750. Pretty much everything new and bigger than a MCUT (from 18 wheelers to large tractors to pickups) are electronically injected.
I think I did state that in my quoted reply, but I made it sound like I was asking about injection. My bad.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah thanks for the replys.... I wasn't thinking of algae when I mentioned trying NOT to run out of fuel. It was because the previous owner told me what a pain it was to get the tractor started again if the motor stoped from being starved for fuel!!

I am not sure that's algae on the filter....it just looked DIRTY, but just in case, I am going to keep an eye on the filter and bowl and NOT run the motor down below 1/4 tank.

bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts