Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So it's time to fill my ballast box on my week-old tractor. I'd been considering using sand, but it'd be easier to unload bricks from it if I ever needed to. Bricks, cement bricks at least, should be denser than sand, which is another good thing. However, I'm concerned that the sand will have enough higher of a packing efficiency than bricks that I can actually get the box heavier using sand. Speaking specifically about the BW15073 ballast box that is used for the 1-Family tractors, how many bricks of what size, shape, and weight did you manage to fit in and what was your total weight once you were done?

The book says I can fit 528lbs of dry sand for a total of 616lbs of ballast. Has anyone matched or exceeded that with bricks in the BW15073?

·
Premium Member
13,034 Posts
I loaded mine with 105 concrete bricks which gave me 590 lbs. I later added the ballast box extension and 16 more concrete bricks to bring it up to 690 lbs. Sitting in the top of the extension I have a large tool box that holds all of my tow/grab chains and hitch parts and that weighs over 70 lbs. bringing my total to around 760 lbs.

Reactions: Levi

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Count me in!

Yup, filled it full up with bricks and topped it off with a custom toolbox in the extension. Don't have a shot of the bricks but here is the toolbox. I used common bricks and packed in as many as I could. I first lined the box with cardboard.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
I'm waiting for the day that someone fills their ballast box with iridium ingots and posts that.

I have sacks of Quikrete gravel myself and its working well. I tried cobblestones before (because they were around) but didn't like them because I'd hear them shifting occasionally.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
338 Posts
I used #2 crushed stone in my weight box. Worked really well.

Adam

Reactions: Levi and Gizmo2

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,083 Posts
Why is it that every time Randy posts a picture I wind up drooling on my keyboard?? Nice job as always Randy!!!
:lol:
I've been doing that since January 2011, Just Sayin!

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I loaded mine with 105 concrete bricks which gave me 590 lbs. I later added the ballast box extension and 16 more concrete bricks to bring it up to 690 lbs. Sitting in the top of the extension I have a large tool box that holds all of my tow/grab chains and hitch parts and that weighs over 70 lbs. bringing my total to around 760 lbs.
So that's slightly better than sand in terms of density. Can you give the dimension of the bricks and what they called them at the store? Do you happen to remember about what you paid for them?

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
I'm using paving bricks as I just had them lying around. Don't know how many, but it's full and heavy.

Reactions: Levi and RandyM

·
Premium Member
13,034 Posts
So that's slightly better than sand in terms of density. Can you give the dimension of the bricks and what they called them at the store? Do you happen to remember about what you paid for them?
Sorry for the late reply, had to wait until I could dig up my notes.

I bought the concrete bricks from Home Depot (SKU 655776). They currently show as $0.35/each which is what I paid. They measure 7.75" x 3.75" x 2.25" and are advertised as 5 lbs. although mine weighed in at 4.375 lbs. each.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry for the late reply, had to wait until I could dig up my notes.

I bought the concrete bricks from Home Depot (SKU 655776). They currently show as $0.35/each which is what I paid. They measure 7.75" x 3.75" x 2.25" and are advertised as 5 lbs. although mine weighed in at 4.375 lbs. each.

I hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. Interestingly, that SKU won't bring anything up on their site for me. The only roughly equivalent active SKU is 619345, which is a 8x4x2-nominal "cement brick" they claim weighs 4.5lbs. Still 36 cents, though. I wonder if it's the same thing you used? Going with a proven solution would be nice since I really need to be working with the tractor, not on the tractor.

They also have SKU 320047, which is a "Concrete solid block", nominal 16x8x4 24.5lbs that works out to being cheaper per pound IF they packing efficiency in the box is good. I'll have to take accurate measurements of the box and try to find an optimal space-fill to see if I can get enough in there to make it work.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I used 70# tubes/bags of sand. $3.69 ea at the local menards. Allows you to remove any or all easily.

Attachments

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
151 Posts
I used nine 50 pounds bags of sand from HD. Left sand in the plastic bags again to aid in removal if needed. However, those bags are positioned in there so neatly and tightly, I will need to tip over the BB to remove the bags. Don't really see a need to remove the bags of sand though. Total weight with BB weight equals 579 pounds.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Is there any concern about being over the rated lift of the 3ph when loading up the BB?

·
Premium Member
13,034 Posts
Is there any concern about being over the rated lift of the 3ph when loading up the BB?
Obviously that has to be something that needs to be taken into consideration. The best procedure is to simply follow Deere's recommendation for proper ballast for a given tractor / loader combination. The ballast requirements are clearly listed in the manual for the loader.

The weights listed by JD are typically significantly more than what most folks assume is enough ballast.

This is especially true if using forks on your loader as JD says to take those maximum ballast recommendations (which are in the 700 lb range for SCUTS ) and add another ~180 lbs.

The bottom line is there aren't many rear implements that the typical SCUT owner has that will provide anywhere near enough ballast - following the manuals recommendations.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'll probably try some concrete blocks that I have sitting around, if they don't fit well... or might create an issue, I'll probably use bag of sand for weight.

~g

·
Registered
207 Posts
I bought a 31 gallon metal trash can at Lowes, built a steel frame in it to connect to my 3ph and filled it with 470 lbs of quikrete. Works great and have a total of $58 invested.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'll try to draw a sketch at some point to explain how I got them all in there, but I was able to fit 12 of the 16x8x4-nominal concrete blocks and 29 of the 8x4x2-nominal blocks into the box. The larger ones are worth 7 of the smaller ones weight- and size-wise. However, they cost just 93 cents, vs 36 cents for the small size so the cost per pound is WAY less. As I stacked the bricks in, I filled the voids in each layer with sand and got almost an entire 50lb sack of sand into the box as well. Final weight is 636lbs, including the box itself. Total spent was less than $30.

636lbs for $30 isn't half bad.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts