Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouwxORkONmI click this link

some trivia for some the husqvarana logo is gun sights from way back when they started they made rifles

husqvarna corp was founded in 1689 yes before america lol

·
Premium Member
13,047 Posts
They used to also make very good motorcycles. Back in the early to mid 80's I owned several Husqvarnas including a single cylinder 500cc 2-stroke that I rode in Hare Scrambles and Motocross.

It was a beast to kick start, especially after you got tired and had to restart it after a crash. But once started - look out. The engine was built like a tank.

Husky 500XC.jpg

Husky also made sewing machines. :)

Husky_sewing.jpg

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
They used to also make very good motorcycles. Back in the early to mid 80's I owned several Husqvarnas including a single cylinder 500cc 2-stroke that I rode in Hare Scrambles and Motocross.

It was a beast to kick start, especially after you got tired and had to restart it after a crash. But once started - look out. The engine was built like a tank.

View attachment 402658

Husky also made sewing machines. :)

View attachment 402698

And the bikes had that darn left side kick starter to do it with. lol

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the link shows their motorcycles and how they are now fuel injected 2-strokes not the first in 2 smoke fuel injection but good that are still using 2 strokes as they rip but america has banned them unless they can meet strict emission standards. and fuel injection is one way they can do it.

most other makes have turned to 4 strokes here in the states as its to costly to make a 2 stroke meet emissions.. epa-:banghead:

·
Premium Member
13,047 Posts
And the bikes had that darn left side kick starter to do it with. lol
Most of the European bikes had left-hand kickers while the Japanese bikes were on the right. When I first got a Husky I kick started it using my right leg while standing to the left of the machine. After a short while I learned to start it with my left leg while sitting on the bike, which ended up being much easier.

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
Sitting on the corner.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Hiya,

Yes, they made motorcycles and firearms. I had several of the bikes, a 450 Desertmaster and a pair of 1979 250 and 390 CRs. The bikes were good, they weren't the best handling, they tended to want to go straight very well however, they didn't want to go where you pointed the front wheel unless you let the rear slide around, a bit of rear wheel steering so to speak. I gave up on them when Maico released the 490 in '81, that bike was so far ahead of every other brand unless you were on one, you were loosing.

I have a couple of the m96 Mausers they made for the military, an M96 long and a M38 short rifle. In the '80's Woolworth's used to sell them, I remember walking through the mall carrying one of them out to the truck.

·
Premium Member
13,047 Posts
I gave up on them when Maico released the 490 in '81, that bike was so far ahead of every other brand unless you were on one, you were loosing.
I always liked Maico. They were very purpose built. The 501 was legendary.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Hiya,

Yes, they made motorcycles and firearms. I had several of the bikes, a 450 Desertmaster and a pair of 1979 250 and 390 CRs. The bikes were good, they weren't the best handling, they tended to want to go straight very well however, they didn't want to go where you pointed the front wheel unless you let the rear slide around, a bit of rear wheel steering so to speak. I gave up on them when Maico released the 490 in '81, that bike was so far ahead of every other brand unless you were on one, you were loosing.

I have a couple of the m96 Mausers they made for the military, an M96 long and a M38 short rifle. In the '80's Woolworth's used to sell them, I remember walking through the mall carrying one of them out to the truck.

I wanted one of them Maico 490's in the worst way. However they were way to expensive. Had an 81 KX125 that was a decent bike. Only thing it lacked was liquid cooling. The other 3 Japanese bikes had it already by then. That's why I got it for a good price.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,832 Posts
We've had this Husqvarna https://www.stringtrimmersdirect.com/products-image/500/961-73-00-06_62480_600.jpg for a couple of years and it is a solid , dependable workhorse. The best part is that my wife LOVES running it!
I bought one of these for my wife, I think about 4 years ago, she doesn't like hand helds. Works great, of course I do have remind her from time to time that as good as it is it's still not a brush hog.:laugh: It is however rock solid and very dependable.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
My dad has a Husqvarna bolt-action rifle in .30-06 with the "Imperial Grade" engraving, I don't recall the model. I think he ran their dirt bikes in enduros too along with Yamahas, Suzukis, Montessas, Ossas, and probably something else I'm forgetting.

Reactions: 89420

·
Registered
30 Posts
Still have four Huskies. '72 WR-450, '76 WR360, '80 CR250, '83 CR250. 360 was my normal rider til a few years ago. Switch to modern bikes to save my back and have some decent brakes. Now riding a '08 Suzuki RMZ-250 and an '02 Yamaha WR-250F, both four strokes.
Mike Hawkins

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I have a 1996 KTM 300 exc 2-stroke, has a full FMF exhaust and some other mods, it's a fast old dirtbike! It just desperately needs fork seals...add that to my to-do list.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sitting on the corner.

probably for sale because its to fast for them........:bigbeer: im not into zero turns but its most likely home owner grade as you know the pro models are big:gizmo:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Sitting on the corner.

probably for sale because its to fast for them........
im not into zero turns but its most likely home owner grade as you know the pro models are big
I've cut grass with almost everything from push mowers to Jacobsen 7-reel fairway cutters...and I will tell you once you get a zero-turn there is no going back to anything else. Since we got ours I have not cut grass with either tractor OR used a push mower for trimming.

·
Registered
994 Posts
One year for Christmas when the kids were very young my wife wanted a Viking sewing machine. When she pulled the wrapping paper off the box and saw Husqvarna all over the box she was less than pleased " You bought me a %[email protected]&*^^ chainsaw for Christmas". We were all a bit shocked and then had a good laugh. I swear by all of there stuff!

·
Registered
275 Posts
My latest Husky....a 2015 FE350 4-stroke enduro. They are now owned by KTM.

I desert raced Husky 250 CR's in the late 1970's. The new ones are a big improvement in handling over the old.

My first hunting rifle was made by Husqvarna in the mid 1970's. A very, very smooth action. Still have it, it's in 270 Winchester. A custom left-hand action that the factory built for me when we were stationed in Germany.

Wife has a Husqvarna quilting machine, which she says is darn-near indestructible.

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts