Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved my tractor from carport to shop to install tire chains on the front. ( everything was normal) When I started it again to move it I heard a noise from engine. Didn’t know what it was at first. So I went to YouTube and found a video about the air cleaner housing bracket. Sure enough cave cover was broken. I am currently waiting on a new engine.

·
Premium Member
9,283 Posts
That sucks. Sorry you had to find out the hard way. If it makes you feel better your among friends. Lots of guys here got hit with the air filter bracket failure and it’s a well discussed issue.
Welcome to GTT.

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
Deere had a fix on failure policy. They would replace then engine IF if happened and not worry about it otherwise. Some bean counter thinks engines are cheaper than replacement brackets somehow..... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I moved my tractor from carport to shop to install tire chains on the front. ( everything was normal) When I started it again to move it I heard a noise from engine. Didn’t know what it was at first. So I went to YouTube and found a video about the air cleaner housing bracket. Sure enough cave cover was broken. I am currently waiting on a new engine.
I don't think there was ever an official recall on this problem. It was more of a we will update the air cleaner if you complain sort of deal.

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
Pape dealer in Ponderay Idaho where my tractor is told me there was a recall.
I'm sorry this happened.

From what I have read, there was not a formal recall, it was on a case by case basis. If there was a formal recall, I was never contacted either. I did end up buying the kit for ~$90 and putting it in, and when I took the bracket out, it was broken in two on top of the valve cover. I got lucky.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Pape dealer in Ponderay Idaho where my tractor is told me there was a recall.
I never heard of anybody who got a recall notice. Nobody ever contacted me. Dealers may have gotten a service bulletin about the updated setup. I only found out by reading this forum that I should update the air filter assy. For the longest time after the problem was being discussed here, it was reported that dealers would act like they never heard of the problem and many people, including myself paid out of pocket for the parts before they started providing the update kit for free when the owner asked for one.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
I did get a notice for my 1025R. It did not come directly from Mother Deere, but was sent to me by my dealer. They would send parts and a technician to me to do the air filter relocation at no charge for parts or labor (free). This came about a year after I'd learned of the problem here on GTT and had already done the relocation myself. The dealer offer did not to my recollection use the word "recall." But they did make a real effort to correct the problem. and my tractor was 5 years old at the time.

·
Premium Member
9,283 Posts
They haven’t even updated a lot of their filter kits yet. Last 2 I got had the old filter in it and I had to make them give me the right one.

·
Super Moderator
3,975 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,975 Posts
They haven’t even updated a lot of their filter kits yet. Last 2 I got had the old filter in it and I had to make them give me the right one.
There is supposedly a part number, TA15270, that has the LVU34503 filter. When it first came to light, TA15270 came back as an invalid number. I gave up and haven't checked recently. Wanna do some homework?

Wheel Font Motor vehicle Parallel Engineering

Reactions: Kbar

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,674 Posts
As others have said, it was not an official recall and NO notice was sent out by Deere to machine owners. In fact, many dealers learned of the issue from members here on GTT when the members were requesting the bracket be replaced. Such was the case with my dealer. When I requested the bracket assembly be ordered, it was the first one ordered by any of the 18 locations in the dealer I work with.

I paid for the bracket myself and changed it immediately upon learning of the issue. Many people made the decision to not change the bracket and indicated they would "deal with it if something happened", which is the owners choice.

If the engine is being replaced and the top cover cracked under the air cleaner housing, Deere should be paying for the new engine and the labor to replace it. Other than you paying for the engine oil and maybe a few other small charges, Deere should be covering the cost. The dealer orders a new Yanmar crate engine, returning your old engine as the core. The fluids are not covered under the Deere manufacturers warranty, which is why I mentioned it. Many dealers simply absorb the cost of the motor oil, where others charged their customers for the 3 quarts of motor oil as indicated in the Residential Warranty Statement for this equipment.

Realistically, the problem existed for models from 2013 to 2018 (early year models) before the bracket and air cleaner assembly was changed at the factory. All 1025r models from 2013 to 2018 early models used a similar style mounting bracket, however, there were some differences in the thickness and shape of the saddle brackets and securing rubber straps.

Some styles of the bracket fractured and created worse vibration, some did not. The brackets which tended to fracture were thinner metal than those which did not fracture. The rubber straps which secure the air cleaner filter canister to the metal saddle bracket failed in many cases, by actually wearing through and splitting.

The 1026r NEVER had the troublesome bracket and used a bracket and system very similar to what Deere ultimately is using now and used to replace the air cleaner assembly bolted to the engine. The 1026r air cleaner canister was mounted to the radiator core support, instead of the top of the engine. Why the change in 2013 to the saddle style bracket with the rubber strap was made when the model changed from the 1026r to the 1025r has never really been revealed that I have seen.

The 1023e uses the same air cleaner as the 1026r and never had the saddle bracket involved on that model. The 1025r with the old style "trouble" bracket is shown in the bottom screen shot. The replacement air cleaner now used is very similar to the air cleaner used in the 1026r and the 1023e originally.....

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Terrestrial plant
Font Rectangle Parallel Technology Plumbing fixture
Rectangle Map Font Line Parallel

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Glad there replacing your engine. I didn't know anything about the update until I seen TTWT had a video on it. I couldn't find a kit at the time & I ended up going to JDs part list & writing everything down I needed. Then I purchased all the components separately from GPS.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sully, you just put some light on my situation. I have a 12 1026R. After reading all about the problem on this site I zipped out to the barn to discover my air cleaner was mounted to the radiator support. I thought the thing had been modded by the previous owner but now I "understand" that mine came that way prior to Deere having a better idea. :unsure:

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,674 Posts
Sully, you just put some light on my situation. I have a 12 1026R. After reading all about the problem on this site I zipped out to the barn to discover my air cleaner was mounted to the radiator support. I thought the thing had been modded by the previous owner but now I "understand" that mine came that way prior to Deere having a better idea. :unsure:
Sorry to send you "zipping" out to the barn in the middle of the night. But I thought that information would be helpful as we have had owners of the 1023e and 1026r asking about having their air cleaners replaced or if they should do anything and the answer is no, your machines never had the "problem" air cleaner install.

Oh, and to be clear about one more thing. The engines come from Yanmar with this air cleaner bracket which have been troublesome. Deere was actually installing their own air cleaner system based upon the machine's design on the 1026r and on the 1023e, which both have different engines than the 1025r. Just to be clear, the engine ships from Yanmar with the "saddle air cleaner" assembly which has been troublesome so in the end, Deere is likely getting some type of compensation / credit from Yanmar for the engines which are having to be replaced by Deere due to this issue..........

Here is a picture of a Rural King tractor with the Yanmar engine, in the same horsepower rating as the Deere 1025r. Note the air cleaner mounting..............it has the very same rubber strap over the housing, which is mounted in the saddle bracket on top of the engine. Also, I have confirmed this in person by looking at the engine in an actual machine to see if it was installed as shown and it in fact, is................

I do like the outstanding engine access when the hood is opened, verses having to remove side panels, etc.

Automotive tire Product Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Vehicle Bumper

Look at the battery access on the Rural King RK 24, which is the second picture. Note the ease of access to the battery, the second fuel filter under the hood, the horn location and the hood latch assembly, instead of having plastic removable side panels which require a tool to open the hood on the new JD 1025r, which I think is absurd..............

Anyway..........the design is actually Yanmar's for the air cleaner and that is how the engines arrive at the factory..............

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.