Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally went and picked up a new battery for the old 250. I am done with the wet cell batteries. Broke down and bought the AGM.

Info: 1974 RD250. Has RD350 jugs, heads, pistons and carbs. I have the original 250 parts pickled and stashed away.

This thing will break into the 14's in the quarter mile. Talk about one scary ride! For some reason back in the day, these things felt like state of the art cutting edge technology. LOL Now it's relegated to car shows. Also take it to superbike weekends at Elkhart lake. (Road America) Lucky enough to live 25 minutes from the track.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
I had an rd-350 like that for a summer when I was a teenager. I wrecked it doing wheelies:laugh:

·
Registered
361 Posts
That is a real beauty!!

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Good looking bike. I learned to ride on a Yamaha. Had several started with a 650 Special, 850 Special, several 750 Viragos 4 at one time. Great motorcycles. Thanks for the memories.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
As someone who cut their teeth on yzs and 650, 750 and 1100 Maxims, I salute you. You sir are my hero. I sold my last 750 Maxim in 2002 after a car accident I shouldn't have survived. I've been tempted since but never caved. The problem is I'd ride it, ALOT, and would likely not survive another accident. :usa

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fozsey,
I gave up motorcycles many years ago. Hit a 25# racoon at 65 that put me into a tank slapper. I barely pulled the old FZ out of it and lost my taste for riding.

I ran across this RD in a barn and couldn't let it die that way. Spent 2-3 years going over it. On my maiden run with her in the kettle moraine state forest, a deer jumped in front of me at 1:00 in the afternoon. Was doing about 50 mph and grabbed as much brake as this old beast would give me. Lucked out with a near miss. Now I ride local and slow. Probably 2-5 times a year. Last year I put on 21.3 miles.

My bike history: 72 65cc Italian Harley - 68 Bridgestone 90 - 67 X6 Hustler (Suzuki) 74 TS125 Suzuki - 75 RD350 orange crate - 86 FZ600 Yamaha - 74 RD250 Yamaha

Here is a shot of the FZ600. Should have never sold it!

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts