Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys with smaller diesels doing for fuel storage? I have been using a 14 gallon DuraMax Flo n' Go for storing and dispensing (it has a gravity feed/manual pump handle) gas for my smaller boat and the former X300. I am getting ready to order another for diesel storage as this size container allows me to easily fill up at the gas station and man-handle it out of my vehicle. Plus it keeps me from running out to fill up with multiple 5 gallon cans as often...

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I have this 50 gallon with a GPI Easy * pump and a goldenrod filter on it.

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
hit submit to fast

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
sorry at work

Attachments

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I use A couple of 6 gallon cans. I don’t use a lot of fuel most years. I have 2 properties. So the cans seem the most practical for me.

·
Premium Member
11,038 Posts
Since it sounds like one of your requirements is the ability to easy transport the container to the filling station AND you seem to be happy with your current 14 gallon DuraMax Flo n' Go....

I say get yourself another Flo 'n Go, slap some diesel stickers on it and call it done. :)

I was going to recommend a yellow container but it doesn't appear like Flo 'n Go makes one in yellow and the yellow ones I did see were twice the price.

·
Registered
21,563 Posts
Since it sounds like one of your requirements is the ability to easy transport the container to the filling station AND you seem to be happy with your current 14 gallon DuraMax Flo n' Go....

I say get yourself another Flo 'n Go, slap some diesel stickers on it and call it done. :)

I was going to recommend a yellow container but it doesn't appear like Flo 'n Go makes one in yellow and the yellow ones I did see were twice the price.

There is a chain of gas stations around here that also have some truck stops. Just so happens that is where I parked my truck and was our relay point when hauling mail. These gas stations and truck stops pump your fuel for you - always did. They will not put diesel in a container other than yellow.

I've had been getting diesel in my old metal cans for years - just a piece of duct tape and marked "DIESEL" when I would go to a self serve place. But being I fuelled my truck there every day I got points on my card which could be used for anything. So I started using those points for diesel to bring home and dump in my bulk tank.

I had to get a yellow jug for them to fill it - but I used the points for that also.

·
Registered
21,563 Posts
I just can't lift 5 gallon jugs up over the hood anymore. Even have a heck of a time just loading and unloading the full jugs in and out of my pickup.

This was my solution - so nice!

P1020961.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,951 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I put the flow n go and diesel stickers in my “cart” on Amazon earlier today. Just haven’t purchased yet. As someone else said in this thread, I wonder if I will get grief trying to fill a container that is not yellow?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I picked up one of these in March of 2018 and couldn't be happier. I made a pallet to strap it to for transporting which works very well on the back of the Dodge (strapped in place).

View attachment 673486

View attachment 673488

Amazon . . . cheaper than building from scratch, which is what I was going to do. :bigthumb:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B071NJKQGB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I saw those on Amazon earlier today and was ready to buy one but then started reading negative reviews from several people about the fuel pump leaking soon after purchase. Also, several people mentioned having to remove metallic grit or sand blast type media from the inside of the tank before filling!

Obviously you didn’t have these issues?

·
Premium Member
11,038 Posts
I put the flow n go and diesel stickers in my “cart” on Amazon earlier today. Just haven’t purchased yet. As someone else said in this thread, I wonder if I will get grief trying to fill a container that is not yellow?
I don't think there are any rules that say the container HAS to be yellow. Most of the containers you see in pickup trucks are white. What is important is to have the proper markings on the container. You would be more likely to encounter questions filling a container with gasoline that isn't red.

·
Registered
2,533 Posts
I don't think there are any rules that say the container HAS to be yellow. Most of the containers you see in pickup trucks are white. What is important is to have the proper markings on the container. You would be more likely to encounter questions filling a container with gasoline that isn't red.
Depends where your at. One of my local filling stations has a employee that will turn off the pump if she sees you putting fuel in a unapproved container. I have had the pump shut off on me for filling a heater while it was in the bed of my truck. I had the pump shut for putting diesel in a blue can. According to her you have to use the right color container and you can’t fill it while it’s on or in a vehicle. Instead of arguing with her I just go to one of many other filling stations .

·
Registered
610 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
I guess I'm just old school.

1052985.jpg

3958668.jpg

Safety Bulletin. Diesel isn't a problem, but I would be very cautious filling a plastic gas can while in the back of a pickup. A good friend was severely burned by the static electricity generated. End of safety bulletin.

·
Registered
21,563 Posts

View attachment 673514

View attachment 673516

Safety Bulletin. Diesel isn't a problem, but I would be very cautious filling a plastic gas can while in the back of a pickup. A good friend was severely burned by the static electricity generated. End of safety bulletin.
I have 4 of the red ones. They were given to me by a firefighter (city professional). Every couple years they buy all new gear so the cans are up for grabs.

I have bulk storage for my diesel. But unfortunately I could only afford a gas powered backup generator so now I have to store gasoline which I hate. I hate having to haul the cans to town - hate trying to lift the full ones into the pickup - hate trying to get them out of the pickup - and hate having to treat it and store them somewhere safe.

Luckily it’s only once a year. I buy non-ethanol gas and treat it with Stabil - it’s fine for a year. After a year I dump it in my pickup - rinse and repeat.

Someday I will have a diesel generator or a PTO powered one - then I will be done with these **** gas cans.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

View attachment 673514

View attachment 673516

Those are great cans! I have a red one for gas.

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
I have a diesel pickup. Between the 26 gallon factory tank and a 30 gallon auxiliary I had installed in place of the spare tire, I have 50 gallons available if I have both tanks full. I just siphon off 5 gallons when the tractor needs it. When the truck's tanks are low, drive it to the pumps. I generally only fill the factory tank unless I'm on a trip. Just another advantage of a diesel pickup. :)
:pickup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts