Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just purchased a new ‘19 1025R with FEL, 54” snow blower, 54” deck & rear bracket with suitcase weights. It’s getting delivered in a few days. I traded in my x585 to upgrade. Super excited. This is my first diesel so I requested the block heater and I’ll keep the battery on the tender. Other than activating the block heater for a brief period before starting (30-45min), what else should I know about diesel engines in winter. It will be stored in our garage (unheated).

·
Super Moderator
5,643 Posts
:gtfam:

·
Registered
140 Posts
Congrats on the new tractor. I am entering this winter with my first diesel as well. This video was very helpful.

1. you are likely going to want to winterize your diesel and do it before the diesel gets cold in the unheated garage.
2. you can turn your ignition key on, to let the starting aids get warm, then cycle the key again, 2-3 times to let them get good and warm before actually cranking the tractor. You wont need to do this if you have a heater as the engine will already be heated.

my tractor starts fine cold but it does cough and smoke for a bit. I went with a 5w40 full synthetic as I expect winter cold starts to be a common practice with my snowblowing tractor.

Reactions: ebg18t

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@rjm240 - I actually watched that video last night, still need to order some additive. Was going to research the JD one vs the top one in the video.

Do you know what weight oil comes as factory fill?

How long is the glow plug cycle? 15-25 sec?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
I'm sure the fuel sold up in N. Vermont is winter blend. You shouldn't have too much issue with gelling or freezing unless it gets extremely cold. A proper dose of a winter fuel additive should be all you need to keep things going smoothly.

Does the 1025R have a glow plug light on the dash? I know my 3039R does - when the light goes out, it's ready to crank. The plugs are automatic, and only come on if the temps are cold enough to warrant it -- below 30F or so.

Reactions: ebg18t

·
Registered
114 Posts
when it is very cold out I find it is very helpful to cycle the glow plug two or three times before starting the engine.

·
Registered
23,318 Posts
I'm sure the fuel sold up in N. Vermont is winter blend. You shouldn't have too much issue with gelling or freezing unless it gets extremely cold. A proper dose of a winter fuel additive should be all you need to keep things going smoothly.

Does the 1025R have a glow plug light on the dash? I know my 3039R does - when the light goes out, it's ready to crank. The plugs are automatic, and only come on if the temps are cold enough to warrant it -- below 30F or so.
Just to note for a first time diesel user - the fuel will be treated if you buy it in winter. If you buy it in the summer or fall it will not be treated. Go to use that fuel in the winter and you will have problems.

This is why I and others treat our fuel with winter additive all year round - no wondering if you have winter or summer fuel.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I actually asked today at Maple Fields (Mobil fuel) about the diesel being winter blend. They had no idea what I was talking about. I am assuming it is winter blend starting in early fall since we had our first frost in early October and it’s been below zero already.

I’m not sure if there is a glow plug light on the dash, it’s getting delivered next week. I’m looking forward to having a little more power in the heavy snow storms. My x585 was very good, but I think this 1025R is going to be even better.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I plug my 1026R in 2-3 hours before I want to use it. There is a lot less smoke in my garage and the cab heater warms up a lot faster than a shorter plug in time. In an emergency, other than the smoke and rough idle, I have started in below zero Fahrenheit temps so the heater is not an absolute requirement, just extreamly nice to have.

Reactions: ErikR and ebg18t

·
Premium Member
13,887 Posts
I actually asked today at Maple Fields (Mobil fuel) about the diesel being winter blend. They had no idea what I was talking about. I am assuming it is winter blend starting in early fall since we had our first frost in early October and it’s been below zero already.
Not a safe assumption, my main supplier just started blending with 10% kero this week. Myself and a few other retailers actually cornered them at a meeting/dinner Wednesday night and asked about blending earlier in season, they'll look into it was our answer. If I have a customer with a 1000 gallon tank and say he still has 500 gallons left and we now add diesel blended with 10% kero, he still has not enough kero blended after our delivery to even mention.
As far as asking a station attendant, most station attendants wouldn't have a clue what difference between gasoline and diesel is, let alone whether or not the diesel is blended. Add to that you actually ask to what percentage it is blended and you will literally blow their minds. :laugh: They will however think you are one smart fella for even having knowledge that such a thing exists.

It varies by region, but my point is that they never start blending right off at 30%. They will build it up as time goes on, unless it just slams off with record cold, then they will take more aggressive action.

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
It varies by region, but my point is that they never start blending right off at 30%. They will build it up as time goes on, unless it just slams off with record cold, then they will take more aggressive action.
These stations are geared toward fueling vehicles that are in daily use, not really for those of us who are filling our 5-55 gallon storage drums for use in off-road diesel equipment. My local convenience store carries diesel---No. 1, No.2, Off-road, and bio-diesel. The station manager doesn't really know the schedule, but she did tell me it's not winter blend, it's additive-treated for anti-gel and lubricity. I emailed the company (Holiday Station Stores in Minnesota and the Dakotas) to ask and they reported

Here's our diesel blending schedule through April 30:

October 15 - November 30: Protects to -10 degrees
December 1 - December 15: Protects to -20 degrees
December 16 - February 28: Protects to -30 degrees
March 1 - March 15: Protects to -20 degrees
March 16 - April 30: Protects to -10 degrees
I've taken it upon myself to add No. 1 to No. 2 off-road in my 5 gallon cans to give me a 70-30 mix, plus lubricity additives and anti-gel. It's probably unlikely I'll use more than 5 gallons all winter. The 20+ gallons of off-road that I had sitting around in my storage tank I just was already summer treated, so I just wheeled the barrel into my heated workshop. If I need more than the 5 gallons I have, I'll fill from the 20 gallon tank and add the appropriate amount of #1. Plus additives.

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
Diesel in Winter

Welcome

I traded my X585 in for a comparably outfitted 1025R.

You will enjoy your new ride.

I use 2 oz of JD Winter additive all year long as my dealer recommended.

rob

·
Premium Member
13,887 Posts
These stations are geared toward fueling vehicles that are in daily use, not really for those of us who are filling our 5-55 gallon storage drums for use in off-road diesel equipment. My local convenience store carries diesel---No. 1, No.2, Off-road, and bio-diesel. The station manager doesn't really know the schedule, but she did tell me it's not winter blend, it's additive-treated for anti-gel and lubricity. I emailed the company (Holiday Station Stores in Minnesota and the Dakotas) to ask and they reported

I've taken it upon myself to add No. 1 to No. 2 off-road in my 5 gallon cans to give me a 70-30 mix, plus lubricity additives and anti-gel. It's probably unlikely I'll use more than 5 gallons all winter. The 20+ gallons of off-road that I had sitting around in my storage tank I just was already summer treated, so I just wheeled the barrel into my heated workshop. If I need more than the 5 gallons I have, I'll fill from the 20 gallon tank and add the appropriate amount of #1. Plus additives.
Right, that's why I said it varies by region. You are in a completely different climate than we are. You have stations that sell No.1 diesel right at the pump, I have never seen it sold here in that context, we sell kerosene (which is the same thing) but it is not marketed at "diesel". If you buy dyed kero here you have to sign that you know it is not for on road use. Some stations do sell clear kero, but again, it is not marketed as diesel.
For our customers that we deliver with the trucks we start blending probably a month before the terminals do. When the customers fuel gels up they aren't mad at the terminal, they call me, so we take proactive measures to take care of our customers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for all the info guys. It appears I have a lot to learn about diesel, the different blends, off road vs regular, and the additives.

I think to be conservative I’ll get a bottle of the JD additive and go from there. I don’t plan on keeping more than a 5gal container around right now.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Thanks for all the info guys. It appears I have a lot to learn about diesel, the different blends, off road vs regular, and the additives.

I think to be conservative I’ll get a bottle of the JD additive and go from there. I don’t plan on keeping more than a 5gal container around right now.
Yes, there are some things to think about, but don't let it overwhelm you... Don't over think it... Buy your fuel as you need it, keep it treated with a good diesel fuel additive*, plug in your tractor before you need it, change the fuel filters yearly... and enjoy! The series tractors can really throw the snow!

*Discussing fuel additives will get you about as many opinions as asking, "what's the best oi?l"...........:hide:

FYI, the only difference between "regular" or "on road" and "off road" diesel these days is that you're paying the road tax on the "on road" diesel... "off road" diesel is cheaper because the seller is not collecting the tax.. Around here, the savings is about 60 cents a gallon... Oh, and "off road" diesel is dyed red.. It's the same Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
394 Posts
can't assume it winter blend, I had to fill up my truck a couple of day's ago, they hadn't gotten in the winter blend yet and were going to call their supplier and they normally match the mixture to the temps. they sure missed it this year, so now I have to run the truck to burn off the summer blend quick, oh the things I do for my truck:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
473 Posts
Around here the difference between on road and off road is only $.20 cents and I have to drive further to get it, I just buy the on road and use it where I want to.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I drove by shell today and the delivery truck was there. I swung by to see if he was filling diesel or regular gas. He was filling regular gas, but said they just started delivering winter blend the past few days. So what’s in the tanks was still summer blend. He suggested a different location that goes thru a ton of diesel and has winter blend in the tanks, buts it’s 45 min away.

·
Registered
23,318 Posts
I drove by shell today and the delivery truck was there. I swung by to see if he was filling diesel or regular gas. He was filling regular gas, but said they just started delivering winter blend the past few days. So what’s in the tanks was still summer blend. He suggested a different location that goes thru a ton of diesel and has winter blend in the tanks, buts it’s 45 min away.
Even with the first delivery of winter blend you still won’t get 100% blend at the pump. It gets mixed with what summer fuel us still in the tank.

Buying fresh fuel is paramount - always buy it from a busy place that sells a lot of diesel.

Reactions: PJR832
1 - 20 of 34 Posts