Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Omni-Hitch arrived yesterday :) I spent this morning mounting it and doing some FEL work with dirt. I'm comfortable that it works nice to balance the tractor. This hitch gives me more options to the TPH than just a ballast box. I've attached some pictures to show the hitch with and without the weights. The 2" trailer hitch, along with the "D" rings is another plus. I plan to use the top 2" receiver to drag tree limbs with a choker chain. It's made by: omni-mfg.com and it cost me $265.55 UPS delivered to my front door. All the add ons (8 weights, 2" ball hitch & 3 "D" rings), I already had. I like it :)

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
I really like the idea behind that... especially if you don't change attachments a lot. How is the height on the ball itself? How heavy was it without the weights?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I really like the idea behind that... especially if you don't change attachments a lot. How is the height on the ball itself? How heavy was it without the weights?
Hello Western, I'm not sure what your question is about the "height on the ball itself". I haven't towed anything on the 2" receiver yet. I have a small utility trailer I tugged around the property with my last compact tractor (JD 655) and didn't have any problem with it. The Omni-hitch alone weighs 80 pounds. With the Rim-Guard in the tires, hitch and 8 suit case weights, I have over 500 pounds of ballast. Others have cautioned that if I were to max out (680lbs) the FEL, I may find this Omni-hitch set up lacking. I don't expect to be doing a lot of FEL work or have max loads. The primary use of my 1026R will be for mowing with the 60D MMM. The FEL and rear blade, I have, is for snow and gravel driveway work.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Hey Barry,

I am not nagging, it is just a friendly reminder about somthing that can be easily over looked. In fact you have already mentioned that you may be on the light side for ballast of the loader. And you already mentioned you are not expecting to do a lot of heavy lifting with it. But, as a reminder and in the interest of your safety and others you do not have to have a heavy weight to warrent more ballast. Loader height is also a huge consideration. Lifting anything more than 4 feet off the ground can have its moments. Also, don't for get about sitting on uneven ground. These are huge variables that are highly important when considering loader work. Things can happen really fast when they do. You'll be fine if you think safety first and take your time. The last thing any of us here at GTT want to see is someone getting hurt or damaging their equipment. If you are already aware of this sorry for the speach, maybe we can help others here.

Oh, and that Omni hitch, looks like it belongs there. Nice touch. :thumbup1gif:

·
Corndog Hater
12,838 Posts
That looks great Barry, thanks for the pics. I have the Transformer hitch from Omni, and really like it. I also like the hook in the top receiver, I may have to look into that. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Hey Barry,

I am not nagging, it is just a friendly reminder about somthing that can be easily over looked. In fact you have already mentioned that you may be on the light side for ballast of the loader.
Randy,

It seems to me he is running more weight that most people with a ballast box? Or close to it anyway.

He has about 480# of weight there with the hitch, weights and the stuff he has attached to the hitch. Maybe a little more. Then rim guard in the tires to boot which dont have the same effect as hanging off the back. But seems like a fair amount of weight to me.

There is no way I could run rimguard at my location as I am on the verge of being to heavy for my lawn as it is.

But I agree with you regarding safety and unless its mulch I am cautious about everything I carry in my bucket. If I am moving I keep it low to the ground !!

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Randy,

It seems to me he is running more weight that most people with a ballast box?
Yes, he is in pretty good shape, but not sure I agree completely with ya on that one. I guess I just wanted to make clear that these machines are very capable of lifting some very heavy weight with that bucket. And that, in my opininion, is one of the most dangerous functions we can do with the tractor. It would be very easy for a member to miss the fact that he has loaded tires. I am willing to bet he will be just fine. :empathy3:

And yup, keep the load low and I also like to take it slow. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Safety First

Thank you for the safety reminders about FEL work. You are spot on about planning out a project and performing it safely. This contributing coalition, to the safe operation of tractors, is what makes this forum shine :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.