Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a L111 automatic, 20hp Briggs & Stratton engine.
Since I've had it (four years), I've always had the same problem with it, and I'm unable to diagnose it.

It always takes a long time to start up. It has no problem cranking over, it just seems that it's not getting any fuel for the first five to ten seconds of cranking, so it won't fire.
The fuel filter is new, changed it myself after the first year of having it. It's clean. However, it never has very much fuel in it.
The fuel pump was changed a year or two before I purchased it, so I would not consider it a likely suspect. Air filter is also relatively new and very clean.
Once it starts, it never starves or stalls. It just has difficulty starting when cold.
When the engine is warm, it starts up quite nicely.

So I am guessing that the fuel line is draining itself of fuel (gravity?) and it takes the fuel pump a few seconds to refill the fuel lines.

What can cause this issue?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,953 Posts
Another thing to check is make sure the choke plate is closing all the way. I used to have a 175 Hydro that was terrible to start when cold and it turned out the choke plate was only closing 3/4 of the way. Once I adjusted the linkage so it closed all the way it fired right up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Two good leads, thanks. I installed a manual fuel shut-off valve, because the local stores didn't have any anti-return valves. I will definitely investigate these two points.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So I did a test with the shut-off fuel valve, and let it rest 24hrs. normally it would be hard to start again, but it fired right up without even cranking For two full turns. So I assume.this eliminates the faulty cutoff solenoid, and any carb adjustment issue.
Where could air be entering my fuel line to cause it to purge back to the tank? There is no fuel leak on the ground.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts