Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are two zerks on the 260B backhoe swing pivot, the lower one of which is well blocked by hoses. I cannot get a straight enough approach with the Locknlube connector to lube that lower pivot. I tried using a smaller straight coupling on a hand grease gun and it also cannot quite get directly on to the fitting due to the stiffness of the grease gun hose. I've also tried a Locknlube 90 deg coupling on my hand pump grease gun but cannot seem to get good purchase - grease just spurts out the sides.

The zerks on this swing pivot each are recessed in a little "dish" which makes approaching them with a 90 deg coupling almost impossible as you need to slide the coupling on and the fittings are recessed slightly into the "dish." I tapped mine on with a small hammer but even then, it would not take grease and grease came out the sides.

How are folks greasing that fitting?

Thanks up front!

Eric

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Can you take a pic? I just did mine (Older not a B) and am 100% sure I did them all. I do have to stretch the BH out for a couple. I also had at least one bad zerk on the BH that I replaced the first time I tried to use it. So they do have rejects.

I use a Lube Shuttle stock no extra tips.

Reactions: Jimmy Walker

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think the one you have to swing to one side. The back side of the cylinder ... take off the backhoe or pop in a 90 degree zero.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You do have to move the boom to one side to expose the spot but it's not near the cylinder.

I'll try to get a photo or find an illustration of the zerk in question.

I hadn't considered a bum zerk but I guess it's possible. I think it's just an access issue though -- not being able to square up on the zerk.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Gizmo - the Locknlube 90 I tried looks just like that -- a slide on model. The problem is that being recessed, the surrounding frame (which is slightly above the tip of the zerk) prevents sliding it on easily. I had to tap it on with a hammer which didn't work in the end.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
40,811 Posts
Thanks Gizmo - the Locknlube 90 I tried looks just like that -- a slide on model. The problem is that being recessed, the surrounding frame (which is slightly above the tip of the zerk) prevents sliding it on easily. I had to tap it on with a hammer which didn't work in the end.
The swing cylinders on our #46 BH have a similar issue. I grease them when the BH is off the tractor.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I tried again today to grease that lower swing pivot on my new 260B and had no better luck.

Here are some photos of what I'm dealing with:
IMG_0970(2).JPG IMG_0969(2).JPG IMG_0972.JPG

It's the bottom one I'm having problems with. As you can see in the last photo, you cannot get a 90 degree grease adapter on the zerk as it is recessed and the rim of the bowl in which the zerk sits prevents sliding a 90 degree adapter onto the zerk.

The hydraulic hoses prevent coming straight down on the fitting. I finally bent a hand held grease gun hose such that I could lock on the nozzle. But then I couldn't force grease into the zerk. Tons of resistance.

So I took the zerk off to assure that it functions and it does - grease flows smoothly through it. I also fished around in the grease hole to see if anything was blocking access of the grease into the pivot and could find nothing blocking.

This leaves me with two problems: accessing the zerk easily in that recessed hole and grease not flowing into the joint.

I guess I could put a 45 degree zerk in there in order to access it but what I cannot figure out is why the pivot joint will not take grease. The identical one on the top in the photo takes grease easily.

Any help appreciated and sorry if I messed up adding the photos!

·
Registered
2 Posts
That one is tight. I swung the Backhoe all the way to the tractors left side and was just barely able to get the lock and lube on to grease it. Probably something I will remember to do when I have the backhoe off.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Are you using a hose or a ridgid coupler on the grease gun?
Hose on pistol grip grease gun (Lock n Load - not Lock n Lube) with as small of a traditional (screw in/out to couple) connector as can be had. Can't even begin to get my LocknLube connector in there or use the electric grease gun as the hose is too rigid and spring supported at the end.

I'm pretty sure that there is some issue inside the pivot joint but perhaps I should replace the zerk with a 45 deg, confirm I have positive connection and give it another try. I think with a 45 deg zerk, I could probably get on it with my LocknLube connector...maybe....

I don't think having the BH off the tractor would change anything.

·
Registered
46 Posts
That's odd. I'm able to just go between the hoses and get a good connection. I think we were talking about the swing cylinder and not the pivot. You might try removing the retainer bolt and knocking the pin up a little and see if it will take grease.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's odd. I'm able to just go between the hoses and get a good connection. I think we were talking about the swing cylinder and not the pivot. You might try removing the retainer bolt and knocking the pin up a little and see if it will take grease.
Thanks Josh, I'm not sure we're referring to the same thing.

On the R side of the tractor, there is a pivot cylinder that actuates the back-and-forth swing of the BH - it's not that.

But that swing occurs at a pivot point with an upper and a lower portion and each with a zerk (see photos above -- it's the unpainted silvery pieces with red grease on them). It's the lower one of the two that is giving me problems.

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
So it is not this one then?

PXL_20210427_183622917.jpg PXL_20210427_183644999.jpg PXL_20210427_184145777.jpg

Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes, it is that lower one. Yours seems to have a lot more space by the looks of your grease hose.

I'll have to take a look again from that right side.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,166 Posts
Yes, it is that lower one. Yours seems to have a lot more space by the looks of your grease hose.

I'll have to take a look again from that right side.

Thanks
That is the shuttle lube with no additional end...just the one it comes with so relatively small.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I just wanted to update this thread as I finally realized a solution. The LocknLube 90 degree coupler mentioned by Retroranger77 indeed was the ticket on my power luber. Connected to the regular Locknlube fitting, it fit under the hoses and without having to move the hoe boom to the side.

Perfect!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts