Green Tractor Talk banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Digging it out and pulling it out after are two entirely different tasks. You might dig it out after way to much time but unless you then want to dig a ramp/trench to pull it up (good luck with that) you will never get that stump out of the hole with a tractor that size. It is fun getting to the point where you give up on it though!

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you happen to free up the stump and root ball, I use a pressure washer to knock off all the clay (in my area). It makes a hell of a mess but works well. I let it sit there to dry out. Much easier to move once the dirt is off and much easier to burn without the dirt.

·
Registered
161 Posts
My dad taught me a method that works pretty well and doesn't require too much back breaking work......dig out around it and down a bit...a foot if you can and get as much of the roots exposed as you can.....then go get yourself about 3 or 4 bags of matchlight charcoal and pour it in and around the stump and roots...light it up and let it burn for the next few days...when it's done there won't be much left.......

·
Registered
495 Posts
900ft of my driveway goes thru hardwood forest. I cleared all the trees but left the stumps.
Hired an excavator to clear out the stumps and large rocks, remove top soil and add gravel.

To remove the stumps they used a large back hoe. I mean large! They put on a single tooth hook they called a ripper to pull out stumps.

On the smaller ones, trees about 10" or less usually they would just reach over the stump and pull the ripper right thru where the stump was.
on the medium sized trees (10-20") they would have to rip on both sides to break the roots free then go over the top and pull it free like the smaller stumps.

On anything larger they had to work at it. Rip on all 4 sides pull from one side, then the other and it would usually come free.
Sometime when they tried to pull the large ones they would lift the back of the back hoe off the ground!

Until one has tried to pull a stump out of good ground, not sandy soil, one has no idea how how well those roots hold a tree in place.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Stump & Mother Nature

Cut it close to the ground with your chainsaw, drill as many 1 inch holes as you wish in it, fill the holes with potassium nitrate (stump remover), mound a few inches of dirt over the stump so you can mow over it, and relax. Mother Nature will take over, and a few years from now the mound will settle and the stump will be gone. No great cost, no equipment damaged and time to spend on more significant activities

·
Registered
16 Posts
I use a 18” long 1” drill and poke several holes on the top then a few at or below ground level. Diesel and vegetable oil in a pump up sprayer... Fill the holes and give it 24 hours to soak. Top off the holes every couple hours too. A couple bags of cheap charcoal is great but the absolute main ingredient is air circulation! Squirrel cage fan does wonders. Leaf blower every now and then don’t hurt either.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Do you have any other stumps that need to come out at the same time? Or a neighbor that could split the rental with you? We rented a large stump grinder for 400 bucks and it would go through a stump that size in no time. The day we rented this machine I believe we got through almost 30 stumps in about 7 hours. Well worth it, and fun to run!

41 - 47 of 47 Posts