Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1025r, I recently purchased a subsoiler to try and loosen up some of my land that is packed clay, now I need to bury my 4 inch corrugated tile for my downspouts, has anyone ever used a middle buster to do this and how did it turn out, I’ve got about 400’ of trench to dig, I would think it would work but I’ve never used a middle buster, when I was using the subsoiler it would lug my tractor once it got down close too it’s max depth in certain areas where it’s packed solid clay, also I was wondering if you can just order the middle buster blade to bolt to the subsoiler, I’ve read that the angle is different and it may not work but I would think adjusting the top link to adjust for angle would work, any thoughts or ideas? I can get a trencher from work but it’s just a hassle if I can just utilize what I have at my house

·
Premium Member
4,438 Posts
It depends on the soil and how deep you want to go. You said you have clay so the 1025 will struggle with anything deep. You might want to rip it with the subsoiler, then put the middle buster on and go from there. If you can get the desired depth with the subsoiler

Reactions: Pigpen and Roger47

·
Registered
482 Posts
Can't say how well a middle buster would work, but I used the loader with the tooth bar attached, to dig a ditch to lay 4" drain tubing alongside my 150' driveway ... It worked surprisingly well..
DSCF4436.JPG
DSCF4438.JPG

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
I'd borrow the trencher because you are going to spend a lot of shovel time cleaning out loose dirt and getting the bottom of the trench level. You've got to have a steady grade for drain tile- it's not like laying a pressure pipe or wire.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did the same as gwizz. Dug 200' with loader for cable conduit. But first used subsoiler to loosen it up so bucket could push in easier. We have clay here, so had to make several runs with subsoiler going a little deeper each time about a foot or so apart. Unless its a middle buster, dirt stays in the trench with subsoiler, mine didn't have the exchangeable blade. Took way longer than using trencher but I'm wasn't doing it to make money so I worked on it when I had time. In my mind, the middle buster will peel the dirt away, but once you get deeper, it will just fall back in the trench.

·
Registered
297 Posts
make the project easy on yourself and rent a trencher. Only way I would consider for that job.

While you are at look at the cost difference in renting a trencher that you ride on, they dig way deeper and way faster.

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
i put this pipe in with a 2305 and a middle buste. It is about 12 inches down for mount of the pipe and 18 inches at the end along the back. Darins a spring above the shed around the the back.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a 1025r, I recently purchased a subsoiler to try and loosen up some of my land that is packed clay, now I need to bury my 4 inch corrugated tile for my downspouts, has anyone ever used a middle buster to do this and how did it turn out, I’ve got about 400’ of trench to dig, I would think it would work but I’ve never used a middle buster, when I was using the subsoiler it would lug my tractor once it got down close too it’s max depth in certain areas where it’s packed solid clay, also I was wondering if you can just order the middle buster blade to bolt to the subsoiler, I’ve read that the angle is different and it may not work but I would think adjusting the top link to adjust for angle would work, any thoughts or ideas? I can get a trencher from work but it’s just a hassle if I can just utilize what I have at my house
Thanks for all the replies

·
Registered
13 Posts
This is exactly what I used when I needed to bury about 150 feet of waterline in rock hard soil here in AZ. I used the subsoiler first to break up the hard ground. Then used the middle buster to widen the trench a bit. Then used a shovel to clear out the trench, which was surprisingly easy and quick to do in dry soil.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is exactly what I used when I needed to bury about 150 feet of waterline in rock hard soil here in AZ. I used the subsoiler first to break up the hard ground. Then used the middle buster to widen the trench a bit. Then used a shovel to clear out the trench, which was surprisingly easy and quick to do in dry soil.
Doesn’t the middle buster throw the dirt out for you? I guess if your going deep it won’t

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Instead of corrugated pipe I’d use pvc. The corrugated will collect leaves and stuff that can block up the pipe. Plus with pvc the bottom of the tench won’t have to be leveled out perfectly, just get the right slope on the pipe and fill in the trench.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
I can't see how this would ever dig a trench to lay pipe in. It's just going to heave the soil. Look at any trench that's been dug, and see the large pile of dirt running along side it. Will a middle buster or subsoiler do that? Nope. The best that will do is loosen the soil to then dig with a shovel by hand, or the loader bucket. The 400ft is a long way to dig with the wrong too for the job. I think you may find your time and body aches worth the cost of renting a trenching machine or mini-execavator.

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
I can't see how this would ever dig a trench to lay pipe in. It's just going to heave the soil. Look at any trench that's been dug, and see the large pile of dirt running along side it. Will a middle buster or subsoiler do that? Nope. The best that will do is loosen the soil to then dig with a shovel by hand, or the loader bucket. The 400ft is a long way to dig with the wrong too for the job. I think you may find your time and body aches worth the cost of renting a trenching machine or mini-execavator.
I've been on the shovel end of that deal. If it was me, the trencher would be on site. I do agree that PVC is a better alternative if you are just moving water from one place to another. I would still try to get a very good even grade as silt will ultimately collect in any low spots where water stays in the pipe. PVC also can carry a bit more water than the same size corregated pipe as the corregations induce turbulence in the flow. On a short run, it's immaterial but on 400' the difference would be noticeable.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
2016 1025r
668 Posts
Yeah I did this this summer also was trying to drain water away from the house but I was glade I had my brothers back hoe I went 6feet deep and back filled with sand clay mix and about a foot of 2” stone on 4”stock title

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I don’t know about you but I’m not gonna bury my downspouts 3 ft deep, I’m just running them away from the foundation, for the most part the yard is either flat or pitched away from the house anyway, the reason for going so far is I want to take them so they dump out close to my pond, there’s only a few spots I’ll have to go deep to keep fall in the pipe, I’m in another group and there have been a few people who have used a middle buster to put tile in the ground, like I said I can get a trencher or a mini excavator from work for free it’s just a hassle loading them up and taking them home then having to take them back before the work week starts again when I have a small tractor at the house, I’m in no hurry to get it done it’s more or less just something to do on the weekend, I’m in the process of digging a 2nd pond and I used equipment from work to get it all going, excavator, skid steer, and a dump truck, I was bringing them home on the weekends but I wore myself out and put that project on the back burner, I work out of town so by the time I loaded all that stuff up and got it hauled to the house I had to be out there from sun up till sundown on the weekends to get the most use out of them, then Sunday evening I’d have to load it all up and take it back to my work so they had it there Monday morning, yeah it made quick work of it but it wore me out and I didn’t get to spend anytime with the kids on those weekends, so I bought that subsoiler to break up the hard clay so I could dig on the pond with my little 1025r when I had free time on the weekends, and believe it or not I’ve made a pretty big dent in it with that little bitty tractor, you probably would have laughed at me if I told you I was going to dig a pond with a 1025r but if you seen the progress I’ve made with it you’d **** your pants. So I’m not really looking for the fastest or best way because I have access to just about any equipment I could ever need

·
Registered
226 Posts
I dug this ditch using a subsoiler to break up the hard dirt, then came in sideways with the bucket and toothbar to remove the dirt. This worked fine for the open trench for water runoff. I put the fence back when I finished.
This won’t work well if you intend to bury a 4” tile. Your better off using a shovel.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
The pipe doesn't need to be 3ft down but it needs to be more than scraping the surface too. I suppose if you have a large enough middle buster and enough traction, you could go back and forth deeper and deeper. But it's not going to scoop the dirt out of the trench for you once you're deeper than the wings of the middlebuster. Which means you're back to shoveling out a 400ft long trench. This is not saving you time to spend with your kids if that was goal here. The right tool for the job will make very faster work of the trench. Throw the pipe in. And use your tractor to backfill it. This is an afternoon at best with the right tool I think.

·
Registered
56 Posts
A middle buster works good for the money if you don't have a hoe. I made 2 or 3 passes with a middle buster to lay a drainage pipe. Shovel work was minimal. I later made a claw to swap out with the MB wing blade. Haven't tried it much, will likely make it more of a bucket.

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
Hmm, wonder if anyone has come up with a middle buster and a slanted, twisted chute that would push dirt up and out of the trench?

Treefarmer

Reactions: Rodehard

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The pipe doesn't need to be 3ft down but it needs to be more than scraping the surface too. I suppose if you have a large enough middle buster and enough traction, you could go back and forth deeper and deeper. But it's not going to scoop the dirt out of the trench for you once you're deeper than the wings of the middlebuster. Which means you're back to shoveling out a 400ft long trench. This is not saving you time to spend with your kids if that was goal here. The right tool for the job will make very faster work of the trench. Throw the pipe in. And use your tractor to backfill it. This is an afternoon at best with the right tool I think.
Well with my tractor I can tinker with the trench as I please, I know I could go get the trencher and have it done in a few hours, just trying to utilize what I have, also I never really know when I have free time so just doing it here and there better suites me, by the way how deep can you go with a middle buster before the wings are below grade, I’m thinking about making my own middle buster to bolt to my subsoiler and make the wings taller, the subsoiler really breaks everything loose in my ground I don’t think my tractor would have any issues pulling a homemade taller middle buster once I hit it with the subsoiler first

1 - 20 of 28 Posts