Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some stumps I want to dig out with my 1025r TLB, but I'm in Michigan and I don't know if the ground will be too hard or not?

I haven't tried yet, and I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion if it's worth it to try or should I just wait until spring?

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
If the ground is frozen then you will not be able to dig them out.....otherwise wet soft ground is the easiest to remove stumps from

·
Registered
573 Posts
I have some stumps I want to dig out with my 1025r TLB, but I'm in Michigan and I don't know if the ground will be too hard or not?

I haven't tried yet, and I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion if it's worth it to try or should I just wait until spring?
I to live in MI, if nothing driving on it the frost don't go to deep, unless its a real wet area then it will freeze tight. It been a fair winter in the midland area.

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I to live in MI, if nothing driving on it the frost don't go to deep, unless its a real wet area then it will freeze tight. It been a fair winter in the midland area.
Sure has Been mild. I have not done any digging so can’t help. By the looks of it it’s gonna be a wet spring so I would think be a good time to dig stumps.

·
Registered
23,496 Posts
I would try it if you need something to do. Maybe it is frozen down only a couple inches.

If not there us another way - build a good brush fire around the stump - one that will last 10-12 hours. That will thaw the ground enough to dig for a while.

·
Registered
143 Posts
The 260 won't break through much frozen ground. That said - this winter I don't think we've seen the ground freeze up hardly at all just yet, but that window is closing quickly. It's pretty soggy where I'm at and I would guess easy (muddy) digging.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Im in North Central Indiana, and its been mild enough Ive been out digging some smaller stumps.
It hasnt been cold enough, long enough, for the ground to freeze around here. My Dad lives near Kalamazoo, and from talking to him, it sounds like its about the same there.

The easy way to tell is, start digging. If you cant break through the surface, its frozen, lol!
Seriously though, give it a shot. You cant hurt anythying.

Reactions: coaltrain

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I agree with coaltrain. Do the ole Gold Rush method.

Reactions: coaltrain
1 - 8 of 8 Posts