Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always wanted a method to measure RPMs on stuff that don't normally have a tach connected to them. I considered one of the old contact type analog units but never bought one. The other day I decided to act on this want so I looked them up at HF and saw they had them for $38. Being the cheapo I am at times I decided to look on ebay. As I normally do I put the item name in the search field then set the search parameters to US Only and sort by lowest price. Found one in California for $9.74 shipped so I bought it. Just arrived today and I tested it on the PTO shaft of my tractor and on the flywheel of a lawn tractor. Seems to be VERY accurate.

With the tractor tach reading just over the PTO set point I read 547.4 RPMs at the shaft.

On the lawn tractor it read 3266 RPMs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,121 Posts
Do you need to use a little piece of reflective tape with that one?

·
Administrator
18,543 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,374 Posts
That same exact unit, model number and all is on Amazon and sells anywhere from $12 to nearly $45, depending upon the source and of course, one used one for $35.....:laugh::lol:

The units which resemble the laser temp guns certainly don't have good reviews.........interesting........

·
Old Pa-pa
11,985 Posts
Looks like the same little unit I bought several years ago, even the little zipper case.

Great for cross checking RPM of generator Vs. multi meter frequency check.

Very accurate little unit for the price.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do you need to use a little piece of reflective tape with that one?
Yes it came with a strip of tape you can cut pieces from. It's the same white reflective vinyl they use for road signs and reflective decals. The unit came with an ample supply but I also have a 24" wide roll of the stuff to use on my vinyl cutter so I should never run out.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
I have had a Briggs and Stratton analog tach for 30 years that uses the same technology as the reed tach,,, except mine has one adjustable reed.
I HAD one like that but I loaned it to my brother. Of course, he conveniently forgot that he "borrowed" it from me. :banghead:

Funny that this thread popped up. I was just thinking yesterday that I needed to get a tach. Never even knew that the digital ones existed. I think I'm going to have to pick one of those up. Might have to pick up one like CADplans has as well.
:good2:

Reactions: mjncad

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
You won't receive your commissions unless you include the link for where to source it....:nunu:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You won't receive your commissions unless you include the link for where to source it....:nunu:
"Being the cheapo I am at times I decided to look on ebay. As I normally do I put the item name in the search field then set the search parameters to US Only and sort by lowest price. Found one in California for $9.74 shipped so I bought it."

Reactions: mjncad

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
"Being the cheapo I am at times I decided to look on ebay. As I normally do I put the item name in the search field then set the search parameters to US Only and sort by lowest price. Found one in California for $9.74 shipped so I bought it."
It likely wasn't the same seller, but I found thr identical unit and ordered it. Thanks for sharing. It loks like it will be handy.

·
Super Moderator
5,643 Posts
I got the AGPtek on Amazon for 16 bucks. Not even sure why I got it! I'll probably never use it!:unknown::)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts