Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Day Folks,

I have a 316 that my uncle bought new in 1987. It is the 150th Anniversery Edition with a digital what looks like RPM readout. But that and the Hobbs has not worked since I bought it from my Aunt back in 1999. Uncle passed away in 1990 so somehow in 3 years he either disconnected it or it stopped working.
Fast forward to today. After 12 years of great service through cutting the acre of property (50" deck) , plowing the drive (54" blade) all those years, this spring I had my first problem. I could not find the problem so had the local Deere service pick it up. I asked about an estimate on getting the hobbs and RPM fixed. He quoted $500 - $1,000 if it was not one of the parts because you cannot get them anymore.
My question to this group of knowledgable people is 1) has anyone see a lawn tractor with this digital readout on the insterment panel and 2) if you have do you think there might be one available?
I saw some people were restoring the these older Deere's and I think that is great. I think I am now able to start that but if I cannot find the parts to get it back into purchased condition, I may have to rethink my plans.
Thanks for taking a look at the post.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Never seen one but it sounds cool.

I would try to fix it up regardless. Even if it meant retrofitting another meter into it so it looked correct.

Got any pics?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Mark,

My new 1026R has a digital hour/PTO RPM meter. Is this what you mean? The RPM is for the PTO and not the engine.

·
Administrator
22,228 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

:wgtt:

Can you post any pictures of your tractor. This may help us help you.:hi:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the responses guy.

I will post some photos as soon as I get it back from the shop. They are suppose to drop it off today.

RRMCCABE, I would not like to retrofit this, since it has the 150th Ann. John Deere logo on it. Maybe swap out the guys if that is even possible.

Mark

:wgtt:

Can you post any pictures of your tractor. This may help us help you.:hi:

·
Premium Member
1,194 Posts
Thats my point.

Course not knowing what we are looking at I really dont know if thats possible.

I would not be surprised of John Deere used an hour meter manufactured by someone else. So if you could find another one and replace the guts (so to speak) that would be what I would do.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Mark,

My new 1026R has a digital hour/PTO RPM meter. Is this what you mean? The RPM is for the PTO and not the engine.
Are you saying that the tach on the 1026 dash is PTO RPM? That seems kind of weird. Aren't most PTO RPM's "fixed" speeds.
Personally,I'd rather have what is on most tractors,an engine tach.

Greg

·
Administrator
22,228 Posts
The new (or 2012) 1 series has the analog engine tachometer that you're used to seeing and has a digital readout for PTO rpm's and warnings, faults etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
The new (or 2012) 1 series has the analog engine tachometer that you're used to seeing and has a digital readout for PTO rpm's and warnings, faults etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.
Nice!:thumbup1gif:

Greg

·
Super Moderator
2,810 Posts
The 316 came from the factory without an hour meter, which was standard on the 318. You could, however, order an hour meter kit, part no. AM103392. But there was no indication of any other meter in JD Parts, nor was there any anniversary edition decal. I'm looking further into this, but I'm thinking maybe a dealer add on decal and an aftermarket meter was added at one time.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
The 316 came from the factory without an hour meter, which was standard on the 318

T-Mo were they (316) all like this? My 316 sure looks like a factory deal with the wiring and all.

Greg

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Photo of Equus Tach

So I was wrong about having the 150th badge, it is above the tach.

It and the hour meter as I said have not worked since I got the tractor back in 1999 from my aunt.

·
Administrator
22,228 Posts
The digital tach looks like an aftermarket add-on, not factory installed.:unknown: That would explain the lack of info on JD parts.

·
Super Moderator
2,810 Posts
Jason,
I'm not 100% sure, but it may have been standard on some years.

That meter is definitely aftermarket. As for the anniversary badge, that doesn't look factory either - another add on, maybe a promotional badge from the Deere or from the dealer when this tractor sold.

·
Super Moderator
2,810 Posts
My brief research on the anniversary medallion is that there are some 1987 tractors out there that have the medallion, but the medallion is located in various areas on the tractor. More than likely the dealer placed the medallion on the tractors when sold. Some of these medallions have shown up on Ebay. Sounds like it was a promotional thing and not all 87 models had them and they were consistent on the placement of them on the tractors. Sound like the medallion and a couple of bucks will buy you a cup of coffee (in words of a wfm member).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the research T-Mo. Guess I'll have to do some research of my own on this tach.

·
Registered
111 Posts
EQUUS is still in business, I would try to get ahold of them and see what they can do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you for the suggestion Scrappy. When I found them on line last night most of there products are 1) not digital and 2) nothing like the model I have. I sent the Technical guys a description and asked if it is possible to get a manual or suggested replacement for the one I have. Will see what happens.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts