Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a JD 2016 X354 with 42" Deep Deck. I purchased the mulch kit and also was given a set of blades for when I am bagging. Now I have the bag set up on and took the mulch blades off and replaced with the other set of blades. Truthfully they don't look that much different at all except the length of the cutting area. Blades are the same size.
I replaced the blades and Torres to 50 psi turned the 2 blades all the way around and nothing is hitting. Once I let the mower down I start the mower and kick in the blades something sounds like it's hitting in the very beginning. If the mulch kit is open or closed it doesn't matter, nothing hits when I spin by hand. Any ideas? Added a few pics with both blades shoeing.
Mulch blade M170642 black tape
Regular blade M170639 yellow tape

Thanks
IMG_0609.JPG
IMG_0610.JPG

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I have a JD 2016 X354 with 42" Deep Deck. I purchased the mulch kit and also was given a set of blades for when I am bagging. Now I have the bag set up on and took the mulch blades off and replaced with the other set of blades. Truthfully they don't look that much different at all except the length of the cutting area. Blades are the same size.
I replaced the blades and Torres to 50 psi turned the 2 blades all the way around and nothing is hitting. Once I let the mower down I start the mower and kick in the blades something sounds like it's hitting in the very beginning. If the mulch kit is open or closed it doesn't matter, nothing hits when I spin by hand. Any ideas? Added a few pics with both blades shoeing.
Mulch blade M170642 black tape
Regular blade M170639 yellow tape

Thanks
View attachment 382026
View attachment 382018
Are you 100% sure? The bottom blade (yellow) looks like the mulching blade. The top blade looks slightly longer. Probably just the picture.
Maybe someone can tell by the part number on the blades.

As far as the noise goes. Could you have mounted the blade crooked or upside down?

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Mulch blade is the bottom one.Those blades also are splined and if not seated properly they could be off and hitting.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you 100% sure? The bottom blade (yellow) looks like the mulching blade. The top blade looks slightly longer. Probably just the picture.
Maybe someone can tell by the part number on the blades.

As far as the noise goes. Could you have mounted the blade crooked or upside down?
That was exactly right. I went back over everything and when I tightened it it was off and not on the pin. Mounted off about 1/16" everything is good now and no damage. Thanks

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Yes, Thanks. I was expecting something more like a Gator blade with those crazy fins on the top.
Got a set of them Gators for my 54" deck last year. Ran them all season. When I took them off they only had a few nicks in them. Otherwise they would have been good to go for another season. The steel is a little thicker then the stock blades.
This year I put on my re sharpened stock blades back on. While I sent the Gators out for the same. They get the job done but I think that the Gators work better. They seem to chop up the grass into smaller pieces. Note I'm only running the deck side discharge.
Almost can't wait to put them back on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts