Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 955 with a 70A loader. Within about 20 minutes of getting it home, the left bucket cylinder started leaking like crazy! I pulled the cylinder off and when I took it apart I found that the inner seal that rubs on the rod was in terrible shape. The surface that wipes the rod was torn therefore not sealing at all. When I really started looking at the rod, I saw several places where there are what I would call "dings" in it's surface. It almost looks like some goofball wrapped a chain around it and it left marks and indentations. I smoothed all the ridges with a file followed by sandpaper. It seems like the rod is fairly smooth with no raised spots, but I am not sure how forgiving the inner seals are. I am new to hydraulics, and tractors in general, but I am hoping I don't have to buy a new rod. Anyone out there have an opinion, thanks.
IMG_20190108_154919.jpg IMG_20190108_155129.jpg IMG_20190108_154954.jpg

·
Administrator
20,280 Posts
Personally, I wouldn’t lose any sleep over it. There are much much worse out there operating just fine. Your seal may seep a tiny bit, but that’s ok. If you run your hand along the rod and don’t feel any nicks or raised spots, you’ll be fine. Don’t worry about the spots below the normal areas like tiny dents. Although they make bring a tiny bit of oil out past the seal, it’ll be ok. You did the right thing by polishing down the high spots and sharp edges. :good2:

·
Administrator
17,046 Posts
Welcome to GTT,
Yup, at this point you have nothing to loose but the price of a seal kit - I'd bet it will be fine. There are shops that can re-chrome the rod, so that may be an option if needed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome and responses. From what I have read, re-chroming is becoming very difficult to find due to the nature of the chemicals used. Seems like you have to be a big outfit to stay on the right side of the EPA... I guess I will put it back together as soon as the seal kit arrives and hope for the best! :bigthumb:

·
Super Moderator
5,444 Posts
:gtfam:These are on my snow blade. They do not leak. So your cylinders should be fine!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
Rechrome

Thanks for the welcome and responses. From what I have read, re-chroming is becoming very difficult to find due to the nature of the chemicals used. Seems like you have to be a big outfit to stay on the right side of the EPA... I guess I will put it back together as soon as the seal kit arrives and hope for the best! :bigthumb:
I think it does take quite a bit to make EPA happy but our local CAT dealer can and will do anything needed to rebuild a cylinder, including rechroming, replacing a rod or building one totally from scratch if it's off a really old piece of equipment. I'd certainly run what you have and see if it leaks at an unacceptable rate. My guess is you will be fine with maybe a drop or two here and there but probably only enough to cause the cylinder to pick up dust on an oil sheen.

Treefarmer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts